11-20-2015 12:52 PM
57 123
tools
    The dock isn't locked to an individual phone, is it?
    11-18-2015 08:00 PM
    No I didn't purchase that. I got the 925 from T-mobile almost 2 years ago. It lasted longer then I expected and planned on.
    Same boat, except I've had mine for over two years (July of 2013). Looking forward to my 950 xl.

The dock isn't locked to an individual phone, is it?
    The dock is just an accessory, so no.
    11-18-2015 08:37 PM
    Yuck, this is so frustratingly bad. I've been thinking all day that I'd do what I thought I never would--buy a phone off-contract. That AT&T is bumping the price of the 950 up $50, only the XL comes with the Display Dock for free, and I can use the 10% student discount, it all had me considering it. Basically, getting the 950 and Dock would cost me about $757, after tax. The 950 XL and dock would only be about $621 (10% discount, not having to buy the $100 Display Dock, lower 6.25% tax rate ordering online or getting at the MS store than the 8.5% tax rate in-town).

Now, it sounds like getting an XL will be like pulling teeth from a rabid jaguar or something. Thanksgiving release (by the way, do they open at 6 AM for real, or did you mean 6 PM?), unlikely to have stock beyond pre-orders, Online orders seem to be backordered into late-December now (didn't they already sell out of a second stock that was due December 11th or something?). So, this means I have to either:

1. Spend the extra $130-ish to get the lesser 950, but I can spread that price out on Next, rather than dropping $630-ish at once.
    2. Risk driving 90+ minutes (one way) to the hellhole that is St. Louis, MO for an XL that might not be there on the most hellish shopping day of the year (Black Friday).
    3. Wait an extra month for an online XL order.

Microsoft, you are officially the worst phone company I've ever dealt with. This is a flabbergasting embarrassment on your part. I'm appalled that I had to wait with my 920 for 3 years so I could experience the most incompetent mobile launch in smartphone history.
    chsoriano likes this.
    11-18-2015 09:18 PM
    When speaking to a Microsoft rep at their call center I was told that they can look up inventories from there. I would call the 800 number first and request them to search for inventory level at the St. Louis store before driving 90 minutes.

Hope this helps.
    11-18-2015 10:42 PM
    Yuck, this is so frustratingly bad. I've been thinking all day that I'd do what I thought I never would--buy a phone off-contract. That AT&T is bumping the price of the 950 up $50, only the XL comes with the Display Dock for free, and I can use the 10% student discount, it all had me considering it. Basically, getting the 950 and Dock would cost me about $757, after tax. The 950 XL and dock would only be about $621 (10% discount, not having to buy the $100 Display Dock, lower 6.25% tax rate ordering online or getting at the MS store than the 8.5% tax rate in-town).

Now, it sounds like getting an XL will be like pulling teeth from a rabid jaguar or something. Thanksgiving release (by the way, do they open at 6 AM for real, or did you mean 6 PM?), unlikely to have stock beyond pre-orders, Online orders seem to be backordered into late-December now (didn't they already sell out of a second stock that was due December 11th or something?). So, this means I have to either:

1. Spend the extra $130-ish to get the lesser 950, but I can spread that price out on Next, rather than dropping $630-ish at once.
    2. Risk driving 90+ minutes (one way) to the hellhole that is St. Louis, MO for an XL that might not be there on the most hellish shopping day of the year (Black Friday).
    3. Wait an extra month for an online XL order.

Microsoft, you are officially the worst phone company I've ever dealt with. This is a flabbergasting embarrassment on your part. I'm appalled that I had to wait with my 920 for 3 years so I could experience the most incompetent mobile launch in smartphone history.
    To be honest you have had your 920 for 3 years, whats waiting for pre-orders to re-open online and have it shipped. Yes you have to wait 2 more weeks but you save a good chunk of money instead of going with AT&T. No headaches and hopes of getting it, just having to wait until it shows up at your door.
    11-18-2015 10:58 PM
    Toronto, Eaton Centre (Canada) last week claimed to have the 950's in for this Friday. But after visiting again yesterday that seemed to change. Apparently there was some kind of conference call with head office and that date seems more likely to be to next week. Either way I intend to pass through Friday just in case on my way home.
    11-19-2015 12:05 AM
    called microsoft store today (hawaii) i was told the 950xl would be available in-store on Nov 20th. but then again i asked if the dock was online only deal and she just said she had no clue
    11-19-2015 01:40 AM
    The Microsoft store in the garden state mall in Paramus, NJ said the 950xl would be in store Friday 11/20/15. He was absolutely sure.

I think the kiosks don't have the same priority as brick and mortar stores in big cities. I'll be in store on Friday early just in case, I ordered mine the Sunday after the 10/6 event so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to grab it in the first wave.
    libra89 and Nick Metro like this.
    11-19-2015 03:02 AM
    I called my local store (Baybrook Mall, Houston, TX) and was told the unlocked 950XL would be available on thanksgiving day as well. He said they wood have the AT&T locked 950XL on the 20th but I assume he was also confused about the 950/950XL.
    seems like to me they are trying to draw folks in to buy more stuff for black friday as more stores are starting on thanksgiving after 6pm stateside so i can see them tying this all in together. sucks for us since we pre ordered and paid for express shipping.
    11-19-2015 03:10 AM
    To be honest you have had your 920 for 3 years, whats waiting for pre-orders to re-open online and have it shipped. Yes you have to wait 2 more weeks but you save a good chunk of money instead of going with AT&T. No headaches and hopes of getting it, just having to wait until it shows up at your door.
    That really doesn't matter. Microsoft's made a total joke out of this, IMO. I'm on the 920 still because AT&T never got the 930, the 830 was an overpriced pile of junk, and McLaren's supposed release kept me from getting the 1520. Now, they have this last-second release date for these phones, then they deliberately don't make enough to meet demand, and that "November" launch might not even be a 2015 availability for many of us. We don't know when they'll be back to order, or when those orders will ship (if I was right in thinking that mid-December batch was already posted and sold out).

Whatever the case, after being such a failure by not getting the 950 universally available in the U.S., and not getting the XL onto ANY carrier, the least they could have done is gotten the freaking thing available to customers in an intelligent fashion. Well, I THOUGHT that was the least they could do, but it seems Microsoft managed the lower the bar.
    11-19-2015 04:45 AM
    Good advice.

And things could always be worse. I have two coming from Microsoft and can't open them for possibly 3 or 4 weeks.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-19-2015 07:23 AM
    Toronto, Eaton Centre (Canada) last week claimed to have the 950's in for this Friday. But after visiting again yesterday that seemed to change. Apparently there was some kind of conference call with head office and that date seems more likely to be to next week. Either way I intend to pass through Friday just in case on my way home.
    This is very much in line with the info Musicman originally provided. It may be that the date was originally tentatively going to be the 20th, but there have since been internal communications pushing it back to next week - some stores may not have received that information yet, hence the number of reports (my own included) indicating that it still might be the 20th.
    11-19-2015 09:06 AM
    Well it sounds like even if it doesn't arrive Friday, the 24th and 25th aren't that far off. And I'm certain we'll get it by then.
    11-19-2015 09:09 AM
    Update:

I decided to give my local store (the flagship 5th avenue store in NYC) a call to see if they had any new news since my visit on Tuesday. I told the sales associate that I had been in the store earlier this week and was told the XL might be this Friday - her response was that that was "definitely not right" - the 950 for AT&T would be this Friday (as we know), but the unlocked XL would be sometime next week. I responded that I had also heard maybe Thanksgiving, and she said, "uh huh, probably the 25th". Which is the day before Thanksgiving (I didn't point this contradiction out to her). She said even though I pre-ordered, I should give the store a call very early that morning to see because it would probably be crazy. I asked how long they would hold the pre-order for and she said 24 hours.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-19-2015 09:19 AM
    I called the Freehold store in NJ today. The person I spoke with said no word yet on when the 950XL will be in the store however the 950 will be in store tomorrow, 11/20. I might just go to the store and pre-order the XL, nothing to lose at this point.
    Last edited by Nick Metro; 11-19-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling..
    11-19-2015 10:38 AM
    I called the Freehold store in NJ today. The person I spoke with said no word yet on when the 950XL will be in the store however the 950 will be in store tomorrow, 11/20. I might just go to the store and pre-order the XL, nothing to lose at this point.
    I think they might have stopped the preorders in stores. Could be wrong though.
    Nick Metro likes this.
    11-19-2015 11:00 AM
    I think they might have stopped the preorders in stores. Could be wrong though.
    That would be my luck - thanks! I'll post back with info if I get to the store.
    11-19-2015 11:14 AM
    Good to see I won't be the only one in Colorado with an XL
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    11-19-2015 12:55 PM
    My understanding is that when they get the units they will notify those people will reservations. There is a 2 days grace period to pick up the reservations. Once that 2 days is up, they will start selling them to everyone. That's almost what the MS employee made it sound like. I just find it weird they will be there all day calling people unless it's an automated machine.

That coincides work what someone mentioned about 25th or 27th. Fans who pre order get the phone with no line ups or anything. Then after that they open up to public on the 27th
    Last edited by poopyfinger; 11-19-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    11-19-2015 02:26 PM
    My understanding is that when they get the units they will notify those people will reservations. There is a 2 days grace period to pick up the reservations. Once that 2 days is up, they will start selling them to everyone. That's almost what the MS employee made it sound like. I just find it weird they will be there all day calling people unless it's an automated machine.

That coincides work what someone mentioned about 25th or 27th. Fans who pre order get the phone with no line ups or anything. Then after that they open up to public on the 27th
    I pre-ordered the Band 2 at the Bellevue Microsoft Store. Got an email from them the day of release giving me 2 days to pick it up.
    Krystianpants likes this.
    11-19-2015 03:11 PM

Depends on the store. I backordered my Surface Book and waited because they said they will call. Ended up waiting a week or so, went into a store to find out that they already have them in stock and just didn't call me.
    11-19-2015 04:09 PM
    Depends on the store. I backordered my Surface Book and waited because they said they will call. Ended up waiting a week or so, went into a store to find out that they already have them in stock and just didn't call me.
    I would've been pissed. And probably complained to a manager. I was worried about the same thing so I emailed my MS Store buddy and made sure he puts one aside for me should they arrive tomorrow by some form of magic.
    11-19-2015 04:16 PM
    I've just been going to the store and checking every day... >_>

I also emailed the store manager, who assured me he would hold my pre-order past the normal 48 hours until I was able to come get it.
    11-19-2015 04:16 PM

I pre-ordered an XL at the Frisco, TX location but then also pre-ordered one online when they opened up on Monday since I wasn't sure at the time that I could get the dock with my brick and mortar phone. So my retail store pre-order will go unclaimed and be available for whomever. My point being that there may be some of these available for purchase at the store.
    Krystianpants likes this.
    11-19-2015 09:38 PM
    Let me know how it goes, I already pre-ordered it I wonder if I could pick it up from store instead.
    11-20-2015 12:21 AM
57 123