10-13-2017 10:21 PM
398 ... 13141516
tools
    I believe the HP Elite x3 has some kind of LED indicator. I think it lights up while charging. Not sure if it could also be used for notifications.
    11-26-2016 10:34 AM
    I believe the HP Elite x3 has some kind of LED indicator. I think it lights up while charging. Not sure if it could also be used for notifications.
    It could theoretically be used for notifications but at this time it hasn't been enabled for Windows 10.
    pazces84 likes this.
    11-28-2016 06:16 PM
    Ahh ok sweet.
    11-30-2016 08:59 AM
    I m totally pleased with my 950 xl
    12-03-2016 12:49 PM
    Very pleased, although there were a few niggling things.
    - USB connection to Windows 10 machine didn't work out of the box. Got it to work after a few hours of kludging.
    - I can't access my network files using the default file explorer app. I could do so much more with the phone if I could do this and also print on network printers from it.

However, other than this, my first and second impressions have been great, and I much prefer this over my android phone.
    12-05-2016 02:40 PM
    Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock). The XL replaced my son's 920 and the 950 replaced my 635. Obviously, the XL is larger than the 920, but still fits in son's pocket and he's happy. We did happen to get a defective phone. When he'd make a call, screen would go black. He couldn't hang up. Took it back to the store, they looked at it and promptly gave him a new phone (it was less than a week old and we had just activated it that morning). So far, he's happy with the XL and I'm happy with the 950. Haven't unboxed the dock yet. Not sure how we're going to use it. A great Black Friday deal.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-05-2016 04:50 PM
    Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock). The XL replaced my son's 920 and the 950 replaced my 635. Obviously, the XL is larger than the 920, but still fits in son's pocket and he's happy. We did happen to get a defective phone. When he'd make a call, screen would go black. He couldn't hang up. Took it back to the store, they looked at it and promptly gave him a new phone (it was less than a week old and we had just activated it that morning). So far, he's happy with the XL and I'm happy with the 950. Haven't unboxed the dock yet. Not sure how we're going to use it. A great Black Friday deal.
    I agree. Very nice deal you got there.

Cheers
    12-07-2016 03:09 PM
    Just got the xl and the 950 on the MS store buy 1 get 1 free Black Friday offer (also included the dock) ... A great Black Friday deal.
    I got the BOGO also - the 950XL to replace my battery dying Lumia 1520 & the 950 to replace my wife's Lumia 920 (which she's still hanging on to).

I'm surprised at the size difference between the 950XL & the 1520, really liked my big phone. Only reason I switched, the non-removable battery is dying (only holds 50% charge). I know there are tutorials online re: Battery replacement, but, figured I'd probably break something taking it apart. I may still attempt it, IF I can get an OEM battery for the Lumia 1520.
    After a couple of days, aside from the size, I like the phone, a suitable replacement (better, if it were a 6" screen). Pictures are fantastic, I caught my wife after her shower & the camera captured more than I could see. I'm running the same OS version as I was on the 1520, so, really NO difference.

I waited for:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pUvbUpU3602272
    to add some grip to this thin phone. Rarely go naked w a phone, it does the job.
    They're making phones too thin these days, nothing to hold onto, possibility of bending.

In addition, I loved wireless charging (when I had the Lumia 920), so I got:
    for half price, to wirelessly charge the phone. The color hi-lite changes from Blue (charging) to Green (charged).
    The charger from the phone package will go with me to work (or wherever) to facilitate a quick top up. Battery life is less than the Lumia 1520 battery (when New) at least early on. I hope this levels off as the phone settles in.

I also got:
    which holds the phone (in the TPU case), fits like a glove for those days when I can't / won't pocket it.
    The plus is the phone is much more pocketable then the 1520. The holster case is good looking & functional w a strong, plastic, swivel belt clip & magnetic (& snap) closure.

Still feeling the phone out, only been a couple of days, on AT&T (w Visual Voice Mail, very simple to invoke, simply leave yourself a message).
    Last edited by MDK22; 12-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-09-2016 03:22 PM
    Not yet, but on it's way. I picked up the 950 yesterday at AT&T, and just ordered the 950xl from Microsoft. I liked the 950, but just want the bigger screen. Once the 950 arrives in a couple of days, I will return the 950 (bought it outright) to the AT&T store. Question if anyone out there knows. Will I need to take the new 950xl to the store to have them activate it, or can I do that online or over the phone. I know when I was with Verizon I could just call them give them the IMEI of the new phone then move the SIMM over once they had the information in their system. I assume it will be the same for AT&T?
    Pull the sim from the 950, put it in the 950XL ...
    That's it.
    Last edited by MDK22; 12-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-09-2016 08:34 PM
    We bought the BOGO (Buy One, Get One free) deal and activated the 950 on ATT with a month to month, no contract plan. We activated the 950XL on T-Mobile on the same type of plan. We are comparing the services, availability, and costs with our long time month to month Verizon plan and service. Just looking for a fair comparison.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-09-2016 10:33 PM
    Pictures are fantastic, I caught my wife after her shower & the camera captured more than I could see. I'm running the same OS version as I was on the 1520, so, really NO difference.
    Hmmm... I'm not getting the same thing with my 950 XL. I'll need to see those pics for verification.
    aximtreo and raycpl like this.
    12-11-2016 06:48 PM
    While I do like the phone and OS, app gap syndrome is hitting me hard now.

Sent from mTalk
    12-11-2016 07:06 PM
    While I do like the phone and OS, app gap syndrome is hitting me hard now.

Sent from mTalk
    Just supplement your phone with a cheap iPod touch for those must have apps.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-12-2016 07:32 AM
    Just supplement your phone with a cheap iPod touch for those must have apps.
    Do you believe this situation will ever improve for windows mobile? I hope so...

Cheers
    12-20-2016 04:44 AM
    Yeah, the phone is light, but it's still heavier than must flagships such as the iPhone 6s Plus although it is a bit bigger. Still, it is an amazing phone overall, minus the bugs and things.
    12-21-2016 09:49 PM
    Yeah, the phone is light, but it's still heavier than must flagships such as the iPhone 6s Plus although it is a bit bigger. Still, it is an amazing phone overall, minus the bugs and things.
    I tend to agree. Let's hope Microsoft squashes the bugs.
    12-27-2016 03:09 PM
    Yes, I did know I wasn't buying a Blackberry, which is what I stated myself. So I don't really hold it against the Lumia that it hasn't got a physical keyboard, since it's not that kind of a phone. But, MY experience is that I miss that. As I missed it when I was using a Z10 and Z30. So to me, personally, that is a con.

But the other stuff, apart from a notification LED, is software. And I really feel that it could be better, with this kind of solid hardware ready to power that. Unified inbox like a HUB is pure software, anybody could make that if they wanted to. But that is perhaps a difference in vision between Blackberry and MS. Could be that MS considered it but had good reason not to implement.

However, the one thing that amazes me is that whole notification profile thing. That is something that should really just be there. It is something that so many people have to cope with a couple a times a day, every day. And it is already there for screen brightness, so they know how to build the interface, how to make it toggle like that. Take it a small step further and you REALLY improve the experience by a lot. I can't be the only one that feels that way, surely?

So, to answer your first question: no, I am not yet sure if this phone is right for me. Which is why it is an experiment. As I stated quite clearly. So it will have a two week trial period and perhaps I'll sell on the Classic and keep this one, or sell on the Lumia 950 XL and look elsewhere. Priv, perhaps.
    I ended up with a PRIV. Loving it!!!
    12-27-2016 04:23 PM
    I picked up a 950XL at the MS store last week for $278 (Veteran Discount). I bought two of them in Nov 2015 (one store pre-order and one on-line) and quickly returned them due to the not-ready-for-prime-time W10. Good phone now that WM10 is decent. I added a Mozo cognac leather back cover for $40 from Stockyfy. The wood backs look nice too but I think the smooth leather will look better with age and use while wood has no way to go but down.

Hello still doesn't work. In fact its worse than the 950XLs I bought in 2015 but I didn't expect it to and don't really care. The 2015 phones would never recognize my eyes with glasses and only around 25% with them off. The new 950XL doesn't even detect my eyes while trying to setup Hello.

Things I don't like as much as my 1520.3: (1) pointless screen resolution increase that eats power and adds cost. (2) smaller screen size (3) much worse battery life.

Things I like better than my 1520.3: (1) real blacks with OLED screen, (2) power/volume button layout (sue me), (3) no trays!!!, (4) user replaceable battery, (5) aftermarket back covers, (6) USB-C, (7) Continuum, (8) on-screen start, back and search keys.

I couldn't find my posts in this thread from 2015 but see posts asking me follow up questions. Strange.
    anthonyng likes this.
    12-29-2016 02:03 PM
    Hello still doesn't work. In fact its worse than the 950XLs I bought in 2015 but I didn't expect it to and don't really care. The 2015 phones would never recognize my eyes with glasses and only around 25% with them off. The new 950XL doesn't even detect my eyes while trying to setup Hello.
    Tough to hear, for what it's worth, no glasses here, but current 14393.693 actually improved windows hello for me. Which equates to a noticeably quicker, more accurate performance, less move closer prompts. I still type in the pin though.. if hello is faster so be it.

Would be nice to see the creators update where they get rid of some animations to have it speed up more.
    01-24-2017 11:46 AM
    Just picked up my 950 XL over the weekend. I had been trying the IDOL 4S for the past 3 weeks; amazing phone - great battery, wonderful screen, excellent high quality build feel; everything was perfect - except for the camera:( I need a better camera than the Alcatel.
    So....i went to Amazon.ca and picked up the 'International' version of the 950 XL. It was $160 cheaper than the 'regular' one sold in the Microsoft Canada store. The instructions are in German, and the charger has the European plug on it. Although it's still taking me a while to get used to the cheap 'plastic' Lumia feel again, i'm so impressed with the camera! Amazing pics!
    Question: i've attached some benchmark screenshots. It shows that my phone is listed as a different model than the regular 950 XL. Has anybody seen this before?
    wp_ss_20170226_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20170226_0001.jpg
    02-26-2017 09:20 PM
    Yes,it's normal.When you check,you will see that "RM-1085_12547" is nokia lumia 950xl.
    Enjoy your new phone and welcome to club! :)
    02-27-2017 06:49 AM
    I just did the EXACT same thing, for the EXACT same reason, only I think mine is coming from China. Does anyone know the best way to go about getting the latest update without all the bugs that I've heard from this site.

I haven't been on windows since my beloved ATIV SE, but I've been interested in the 950 XL for a while, just because of how my 928 took amazing images. I've been a photographer hobbyist for a while, and can't over look a good camera on a phone.
    MrockNroll and darrell reimer like this.
    02-27-2017 08:23 AM
    i got mine 950xl for more than a month... and im still happy with it
    i hope the camera features from the 930 will be available soon with the 950xl and 950 like the refocus, actionshot, selfie, and cinemagraph
    02-27-2017 01:42 PM
    i got mine 950xl for more than a month... and im still happy with it
    i hope the camera features from the 930 will be available soon with the 950xl and 950 like the refocus, actionshot, selfie, and cinemagraph
    I am super impressed and very happy with the camera so far! I came over from the Alcatel IDOL S4; it was the perfect phone for me....except for the camera; it was too weak to overcome all of the other phone strengths. the 950 XL camera is noticeably all-around better (focus, colour, detail, balance, exposure, speed). Super happy with it!
    bluekalo likes this.
    02-27-2017 11:11 PM
    This is an amusing thread to read. I still have my 950xl, having received it in December '15.

http://www.perfectreign.com/2015/12/lumia-950xl/

The device feels less than ideal compared to my x3 but still takes fantastic photos. Better than my son's S7. My only gripes are with the power button being too close and between the volume keys and the horrid sound quality compared to any Iphone or my HTC One M8.

Now that I'm on a newer phone, the screen on the 950xl seems plastic like. Nit sure why.

Sent from mTalk
    02-27-2017 11:26 PM
398 ... 13141516