[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I've read conflicting reports whether I will have to mess with APN settings if I'm putting in a ATT sim card that was on LTE (i.e., my 830). That would be a real drawback for me to have to start messing with that. I know the step by step instructions are posted somewhere here.

well, im not sure if the APN settings will transfer with the sim card...
but you have a good leg up with having a sim card that was already tagged with a ATT LTE device... i didnt have that and thats why i had to ask ATT to add the Lumia 640 imei first...
good luck - come back if you have questions...but i think you will really like the 950XL

helichrysum

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
36 hours with mine and here our my thoughts...

-Coming from Moto X Pure

Pros
-Phone build and design is absolutely fine. Not everything HAS to be metal and resemble and iphone. I like the way it looks. I like the Microsoft branding on the back. I have dry skin so the phone is a little slippery. May not be able to go nude much longer.
-I'm on ATT and get full LTE. I removed my SIM from the MX Pure and inserted before I powered up and also didn't restore anything (Had an Icon for 6 months a while back). No issues here.
-Cortana works well. Not sure if she does as good a job as OK Google, but I haven't noticed any glaring deficiencies yet. Plus I like her voice and name better ;)
-Windows Hello is way cool...when it decides to scan my eyes...(update, I restarted my phone and now it's working)
-Camera is better than MX Pure. Colors are way more accurate. Subject details are sharper as well. Pressing the camera button launches the camera 2-3 times quicker than the Moto twisting action...which I felt was pretty quick. 950 is lightning getting to the snapshot.
-Apps have improved since pre 8.1 Icon quite a bit. Ebay app is actually useful. Apps that I use for work and pleasure have both been vastly improved.
-DUAL SIM is really cool. I'm thinking of all sorts of possibilities.
-Edge browser is fast and works well. It finally stores passwords but....
-Call quality is good.
-Audio with headphones is night and day superior to MX Pure, Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, and LG G4. This is important. I like to use the headphones when I mow the lawn (or throw snow nowadays) and that was my gripe with G4, Z5, and Pure. 950 is loud and good quality.
-Glance screen is nice. MX Active display is wicked cool, but glance does a good job.
-How cool is it to have the entire suite of Word, Excel, PP, etc right there!
-Battery life is fine. I used mine from 6:30 am until 8pm and was at 24% and that was with about 30 minutes of using navigation and also downloading new apps.

Cons
-Sometimes when contacts call me there name doesn't show up on the caller id screen. They are in my contacts so I'm not sure why they aren't showing up. Annoying as I don't memorize contacts numbers so I have no idea who is calling.
-No visual voicemail is a bummer. Voicemail in general is lame. Like faxing it needs to go away, but at least VV made it tolerable. In my job, people still leave me VM's for whatever reason so I hope this gets addressed sooner rather than later.
-The post processing for pictures taken is too long. I take a picture and want to text it to someone, sometimes I have to wait ten seconds, but sometimes up to 60 seconds it will sit there saying "adding finishing touches". This is the case with both rich capture enabled and disabled. I was hoping with the 810 in here that wouldn't be the case so hopefully an update will come soon that addresses this.
-When I click to install an app, it thinks about it for like 5-10 seconds before it starts downloading. That seems about 5-10 seconds too long.

All in all, not too shabby at all. Feeling confident that the Pure will in fact be relegated to full on back up status and that 950 can be daily driver!

peekay13

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone found a QI charger stand that works with this phone? My old DT-910 isn't compatible and Microsoft only do charging plates not stands!

I'm using this one I got on Amazon it looks very similar to the DT-910 but it works fine with the 950XL in portrait and landscape mode.

Sorry can't post any links, it's the First2savvv WXC-SCC-01

helichrysum

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Any of you folks using yours unlocked on ATT? How's that working out? I am about to make the plunge, just checking.

Working perfectly....but I followed the advice of inserting my previously activated SIM (the one I was using on ATT with my unlocked MX Pure) BEFORE powering up the phone and NOT restoring anything.

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Re: My initial Impressions of Lumia 950 Xl (INDIA)

Reset Protection is now in Find My Phone under Update & Security... I also am loving this phone and agree with most of your bullet points. You should check out MozoAccessories.com. I got that leather back cover and even the guys at my local MS store are going bananas for it!!!

As I said the reset protection setting is not available on my phone bro. Yup Mozo case are cute but availability is the problem here.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

As I said the reset protection setting is not available on my phone bro. Yup Mozo case are cute but availability is the problem here.

just looked under Find my Phone - its at the bottom of the screen.
I have RM-1116, 950XL dual sim, unlocked, here in the USA
OS build 10.0.10586.0
Firmware revision 010078.00017.15454.29005

It appears mine was turned off when i did a reset...as i also got an email saying so while i was setting this up.
I do remember when i did first setup - with custom instead of express - it asked me if i wanted this or not.

What model do you have and what firmware and where are you located?

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

just looked under Find my Phone - its at the bottom of the screen.
I have RM-1116, 950XL dual sim, unlocked, here in the USA
OS build 10.0.10586.0
Firmware revision 010078.00017.15454.29005

It appears mine was turned off when i did a reset...as i also got an email saying so while i was setting this up.
I do remember when i did first setup - with custom instead of express - it asked me if i wanted this or not.

What model do you have and what firmware and where are you located?

I have RM-1116_14026, 950XL dual sim, India
OS build 10.0.10586.29
Firmware revision 01078.00017.15452.59009
I don't have that setting under find my phone. As far as initial setup is concerned I did express setup. But I don't think that really matters. We can see we have different firmware.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I have RM-1116_14026, 950XL dual sim, India
OS build 10.0.10586.29
Firmware revision 01078.00017.15452.59009
I don't have that setting under find my phone. As far as initial setup is concerned I did express setup. But I don't think that really matters. We can see we have different firmware.

yes, i see you're running insider preview or have had .29 pushed to you - i have not seen it come to my phone yet...
wonder if thats the difference?

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Any of you folks using yours unlocked on ATT? How's that working out? I am about to make the plunge, just checking.

I got my 950 XL on day one on Thanksgiving Day at the MS store, they even gave me a new ATT SIM card. I came home, went online activated my new SIM card in less than 5 minutes and I was in business. I had LTE from the start, they had to reactivate my VM but no VVM and I was told they are working on that, still no VVM yet. I love my 950 XL.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Bro the difference is in firmware.

go to account.microsoft.com
and then click on your phone - what do you see next to your phone on that subsequent screen?
i see reset protection status...
it seems this is a part of windows 10 mobile - which is the OS not the phone firmware

EDIT:
also see link below from microsoft india website to the security features of the 950XL in India...
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ions%2F%23head_device-security&token=RSxjyJuT

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

go to account.microsoft.com
and then click on your phone - what do you see next to your phone on that subsequent screen?
i see reset protection status...
it seems this is a part of windows 10 mobile - which is the OS not the phone firmware

EDIT:
also see link below from microsoft india website to the security features of the 950XL in India...
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ions%2F%23head_device-security&token=EPoma0FR

I checked in my accounts page bro I don't see anything related to reset protection. I have option to find my phone or remove or find accessories. There is a option to check the status of reset protection. I did check with my IMEI and obviously it was showing there is no reset protection as its not enabled. Also the link you provided is not working

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I checked in my accounts page bro I don't see anything related to reset protection. I have option to find my phone or remove or find accessories. There is a option to check the status of reset protection. I did check with my IMEI and obviously it was showing there is no reset protection as its not enabled. Also the link you provided is not working

try this link - seems windows central forum is messing with the link i put in... click on the link then take out the forum.windowscentral.com part...
microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl-dual-sim/specifications/#head_device-security

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

try this link - seems windows central forum is messing with the link i put in... click on the link then take out the forum.windowscentral.com part...
microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl-dual-sim/specifications/#head_device-security

bro i have contacted customer support and they said its not available in India. i am really sad with this. paying around Rs 50000 and you dont have features that are already part of windows 8.1 update 2.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

bro i have contacted customer support and they said its not available in India. i am really sad with this. paying around Rs 50000 and you dont have features that are already part of windows 8.1 update 2.

interesting - wonder why that is the case in india... its mandated here in the US now.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
First Impressions

Just got my 950XL in the mail today from the UK. Loved the packaging. Unboxing it was pretty simple. However, I'm not terribly thrilled with the build quality. Everyone was right, the plastic back gives this phone a cheap feel. I had considerable problems taking the back cover off. I was terribly afraid I'd break it. But, once off, I was able to easily access the sim port and the micro sd port. And I love finally being able to replace the battery! For as much as I loved the 920 and 1520, this was my only criticism I had for both those devices. I also had the hyper sensitive screen issue that was fixed with a reflash on my 1520. I guess if the sacrifice for that had to be made for a replaceable battery was the solid poly-carbonate case, then I can live with it.

I also had an issue seating Sim card. It would not snap in place and I was afraid I would damage the card. Luckily I was able to get the batter in to hold enough in place that I don't have an issue yet. I guess I'll go in to AT&T and see what they can do in the near future. So, my initial impression was a bit of a disappointment for having spent so much money on it.

But then I put my phone on my old 900 charging plate I have at work, and it powered up. Yay! Qi wireless charging was back. Take that AT&T! Setup was very simple, backup from my 1520 restored quickly. Got my phone linked to my Microsoft account, my email set up, all my aps started installing, it was incredibly simple process. Great job Microsoft.

After I got all that started, I was able to looking around on the phone. This display is incredible. It's much brighter and sharper than my 1520. I pulled up the camera ap and was blown away with the image. The camera is a huge improvement. Set up Hello, and it works great, but it still feels kind of weird holding up my camera to my face so close. MS really needs to work on this so it's not so awkward. In fact, Hello works much better then I expected.

This phone is really snappy. On my 1520 with the W10 preview installed, I was plagued with resuming, and opening delays. This phone is almost instantaneous. Everything seems so much faster. I played some candy crush and it just felt like a totally different ap.

The phone tends to get warm when on the charging plate. But that can be expected. I can't say much about battery life yet. I haven't even gotten it to 100% yet, and I have had it for less then a day. I'll be able to comment on that over the weekend.

All in all, I'm happy with this phone. But I have concerns and it deals with the construction of the device. I keep my phone in my front pocket, and for the first time, I'm actually worried about cracking or bending it. I guess I'll head to BestBuy this weekend to see what kind of case I can get for it. I'm thrilled that I finally got Qi back. I really missed it when I moved to the 1520. The display is superb, one of the best I've ever seen on a phone. It's incredibly fast. I really am hoping for a long honeymoon period on this device.

mervs2402

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: First Impressions

Got my Lumia 950Xl DS in Dubai for approx. $638 on the 16th of December. Phone feels great. Quite large coming from 920 but exactly what I always wanted. Pretty light since no metal used. Screen is brilliant. Software is quick but has big room for improvement. Windows hello works perfect when my glasses are off but struggles a bit with glasses on. It even worked with powered sunglasses. Works in pitch dark environment too.

Now for the no so good impressions. Battery seems to be shaking inside the phone. It stops when pressing the battery cover. Small squeaks near the corners of the phone. This makes me appreciate the lumia 920 and 1520 for how perfectly fit it was. The phone does not charge on my car accessory cr-200 probably because the coil placement in both the products. Phone gets hot when used extensively. Not just the back, infact the screen glass is more hot than the back.

Overall a great phone. Hoping for more software/app updates so the phone can use its potential.
My rating is 8.5/10

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nokia 950xl camera

Well...

I've sold my 1520, which I used for phone duty, along with my 1020 (With grip) that's been my camera for a long time.

Staff meal last night... Results?

Less than perfect. I simply left the settings, as I did with the 1020, at the default. The videos aren't the best with most of the photos being quite good. All in all I'd actually like my 1020 back as the 950xl camera simply isn't as good (IMO).

Let's hope software updates improve things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes