06-21-2016 08:13 PM
147 12345 ...
tools
    I just received my 950XL yesterday. I have only updated the phone and installed Windows Insider Fast on to it to get the latest OS build. I also use a Lumia 930 as my daily until I get the 950 XL set up the way I like. I am totally shocked the tap to wake function is not available even though tap to sleep is. The caveat with double-tap-to-sleep is the taps have to be on the menu bar @ bottom of screen, doesn't work on the overall display area to my knowledge. Such a shame to an otherwise nice phone.
    01-15-2016 09:35 AM
    That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep. Ppl just expecting it's going to be added later, but there is no reason to wait. WM10 already has it working on different Lumia models. Looks like a patent issue to me. Or a major battery problem. Another issue I didn't like was creaking of the back cover. That even can't be fixed by software, new covers are not expected to help and even Mozo covers have similar issues.
    theefman likes this.
    01-15-2016 10:31 AM
    Don't know why it would be a patent issue. Double tap works on the HTC One M8 (Android version) as well.
    01-15-2016 12:45 PM
    That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep.
    wait...... you returned a beautiful phone because it didn't have tap to wake?.... seriously? wow ok
    ronaldme, editguy and rdubmu like this.
    01-15-2016 02:58 PM
    Absolutely, that and no LTE or Visual voicemail. Waited patiently, but frustrated ever time I tried to use the XL, just left it at home and carried my 1020 running 8.1. Who would think we would lose features. I won't get fooled again. AT&T gave me a 99 cent LG tablet for keeping the XLs account alive, the LG has tap to wake.
    theefman likes this.
    01-15-2016 03:40 PM
    Actually, it's very important to me to be able to turn on the phone by one finger when it's laying on the table. On LG G4, I can double tap to wake, so even it has buttons on the back, its fine. On iPhone, I just push the main button and can unlock it at the same time by Touch ID. On Lumia 950xl, the button layout is stupid, so it takes a while until I find the middle one and press it using at least two fingers (compensating push from the opposite side). If I can't verify what i'm touching at (at night, wrong angle) it is very annoying.
    theefman likes this.
    01-15-2016 03:55 PM
    That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep. Ppl just expecting it's going to be added later, but there is no reason to wait. WM10 already has it working on different Lumia models. Looks like a patent issue to me. Or a major battery problem. Another issue I didn't like was creaking of the back cover. That even can't be fixed by software, new covers are not expected to help and even Mozo covers have similar issues.
    It cant be a battery problem. HTC has it. My LG G4 had it and no problem. Doubt it's patent either. Just pure laziness of MS people. There are many small annoying bugs here and there that they could fix but nope. There has not been any updates for awhile so what the heck are they don't I wonder. Did they pulled the plug on windows phone or something!
    01-15-2016 04:02 PM
    Did they pulled the plug on windows phone or something!
    Amazing logic...

Lol... What happen to that people?
    01-15-2016 04:06 PM
    so why not just leave on glance? then you don't have to push any buttons... doesn't use hardly any power supposedly... and to look on the phone or to see or use, whether it would be to make a call or check an email or what have you, then you still have to handle the phone so turning it on with two fingers shouldn't be a problem....unless you GOT problems LOL
    editguy likes this.
    01-15-2016 05:00 PM
    wait...... you returned a beautiful phone because it didn't have tap to wake?.... seriously? wow ok
    you'd be surprised how a relatively small feature can affect the user experience.
    vampyren and Pirate Arr like this.
    01-15-2016 05:08 PM
    I was prepping dinner, hands all mucked up, recipe on phone, stupid screen timed out, only had elbows to wake up the phone, oh wait, no double tap! grrrrrrr
    01-16-2016 02:08 AM
    you'd be surprised how a relatively small feature can affect the user experience.
    I wish more people had that attitude, for me its the small things that irritates me the most. All OS:es have come a long way so now its the small stuff that affect your productivity on a daily bases. Take Swype for instance, it works pretty great on Android and iOS but on WP its a gamble every time.
    The windows touch button in the middle, annoying as hell. I keep touching it when i'm writing by mistake. This does not happen on my LG G4. Small things but when there are enough of these things put together the experience gets destroyed in the process.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-16-2016 08:06 AM
    I was prepping dinner, hands all mucked up, recipe on phone, stupid screen timed out, only had elbows to wake up the phone, oh wait, no double tap! grrrrrrr
    You must have some impressive karate moves if you can double tap to unlock your phone with your elbow! (and yes, they should bring back this feature asap)
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-16-2016 09:05 AM
    Tap-To-Wake will most likely be added during a future update.

I like Michael's reviews, second only to Lisa Gade, so yeah I'm a bit saddened that the WP/W10M platform has fallen from his favor. Also acting as a catalyst were WP fans, so bitter and angry all the time. Pity.
    Haha love Lisa to ^^ my favorite reviewer including Michael Fisher and wow does that article still holds truth. Kind of sad really. Hopefully it gets added. Absurd it wasn't included when it officially came out

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL
    01-16-2016 10:04 PM
    I fixed the creak with black electric tape, just padded the inside where NFC and Qi are not. The device feels very solid now, much more premium in feel.
    01-17-2016 02:52 AM
    The real issue here, is not double tap to wake or not. It's the new Microsoft method to amend datasheet AFTER the product is released.

When I checked the 950 (not XL, but similar consequences) datasheet before ordering it, it stated : double tap to wake, FM tuner, SuperSensitiveTouch.

I have none of these, and NOW, Microsoft have amended the datasheet on their different national stores to remove (quietly) FM tuner, double tap and replace SST by "multicapacitive touch" for the 950.

Maybe SST is enabled later by OS on 950 (like for the XL, I believe it's still not present in Extras/Touch), but then why amend the 950 datasheet and not the XL one?

Is it even legal to rewrite history once the product is out by amending datasheet and pretending they never said feature A or feature B was coming with our 950 or 950 XL?

I hate Microsoft for that (but I'm keeping my 950 lol).
    01-17-2016 04:36 AM
    If you buy a expensive flagship phone, you could expect that it has these kind of basic features.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-17-2016 05:12 PM
    The real issue here, is not double tap to wake or not. It's the new Microsoft method to amend datasheet AFTER the product is released.

When I checked the 950 (not XL, but similar consequences) datasheet before ordering it, it stated : double tap to wake, FM tuner, SuperSensitiveTouch.

I have none of these, and NOW, Microsoft have amended the datasheet on their different national stores to remove (quietly) FM tuner, double tap and replace SST by "multicapacitive touch" for the 950.

Maybe SST is enabled later by OS on 950 (like for the XL, I believe it's still not present in Extras/Touch), but then why amend the 950 datasheet and not the XL one?

Is it even legal to rewrite history once the product is out by amending datasheet and pretending they never said feature A or feature B was coming with our 950 or 950 XL?

I hate Microsoft for that (but I'm keeping my 950 lol).
    You need to download the FM Radio app from memory. Mine has it.
    01-17-2016 09:52 PM
    You need to download the FM Radio app from memory. Mine has it.
    The missing FM radio app affects only 950, not XL. If you own a 950 and are able to make the FM tuner work, I suggest to continue the discussion here : http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...-fm-radio.html to avoid off-topic on this thread.

But AFAIK, the 950 HAS the FMtuner but Microsoft have decided NOT to enable it, for Q/A reasons, when US consumers say that with a third party app, it works perfectly well. In the EU, though, even third party apps don't seem to work.
    01-18-2016 03:12 AM
    You must have some impressive karate moves if you can double tap to unlock your phone with your elbow! (and yes, they should bring back this feature asap)
    Lol it's far from graceful and recommended best practice but it works in a pinch! Maybe like triple or quadruple touches needed ;)
    Joe920 likes this.
    01-18-2016 12:59 PM
    The missing FM radio app affects only 950, not XL. If you own a 950 and are able to make the FM tuner work, I suggest to continue the discussion here : http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...-fm-radio.html to avoid off-topic on this thread.
    Ahh, I was talking about the 950 XL. This is, after all, the 950 XL forum :)
    01-18-2016 06:14 PM
    I know that's why I had explicitly mentioned the 950 case, and add that FM thing to dramatize a bit further lol ^_^
    01-19-2016 12:45 AM
    I just go me the 950XL. Paid full price at the Microsoft store.
    This is the first time I've bought a flagship phone outright! Wow lots of cash! (Plus I paid the $100 warranty).

Anyway I kept trying to double tap it like I do on my 1520 and it wasn't working.
    Then I looked in the settings. Nothing.
    This explains it.

I wont take the phone back because of it but I hope they bring that feature back!
    The power button between the volume buttons is dumb. I imaging we will get used to it though.
    At least the phone is fast.
    01-29-2016 11:41 PM
    Amazing that the days go on and we still get nothing about this missing feature:

FAQ - Does my Lumia support double tap to wake up? - Microsoft - India
    02-12-2016 03:18 PM
    I give up, having the worst browser experience and missing this and other basic features made me realize i just dont want to waste more time on this dead horse. I went back to my LG G4 and man its a joy! I still use my iPhone 6S plus as well but between the LG G4 and the 950 XL i take the G4 any day!
    It has double tap for wakeup/sleep. The Browser or browsers work just sooooo much better and the other programs like spotify, flipboard are miles better.
    I cant believe how bad the programs are on the 950 XL. Same game run smooth on the lower end hardware G4 but on 950 XL it stutters like hell. Even Spotify is a pain. And why doesnt the swype from the edge of phone work in any program. Once you get use to it there is no going back. This is the standard in iOS and Android these days.
    Anyone want a pretty much new 950 XL + dockstation + case i'm selling. I'm in Sweden though :/
    02-13-2016 08:14 PM
147 12345 ...