Double Tap to wake is gone on 950/950XL OS...

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I think so too. At least "Super Sensitive Touch" is listed in the specs, so I expect it will come through an update soon, along with double tap to wake. The last one does not seem to be in the specs for any phone.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Not missing from the OS... it's missing from the 950/XL. Double tap still works on my 1520 with WM10

If you are running the latest WM 10 Pre-Release on your 1520 then that may be the issue. The latest pre-release is not the same as the version that is running on the 950. The latest version of WM 10 on the Lumia 950 is 10.0.10586.0 and the version mentioned above is 10.0.10586.11. The double tap function is available as the double tap to sleep works on the 950 now. It could also need a firmware update which may be the key.

Of course there are assumptions here and I do not work for Microsoft. :)

MimoDK

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
If you are running the latest WM 10 Pre-Release on your 1520 then that may be the issue. The latest pre-release is not the same as the version that is running on the 950. The latest version of WM 10 on the Lumia 950 is 10.0.10586.0 and the version mentioned above is 10.0.10586.11. The double tap function is available as the double tap to sleep works on the 950 now. It could also need a firmware update which may be the key.

Of course there are assumptions here and I do not work for Microsoft. :)

That is not correct!
Our Company have 22 Lumia 950 at this moment. All with 10.0.10586.0 and none of them able to do double tap to wake.

Oh yes. It has double tap to sleep. :-(

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
That is not correct!
Our Company have 22 Lumia 950 at this moment. All with 10.0.10586.0 and none of them able to do double tap to wake.

Oh yes. It has double tap to sleep. :-(

Mimo,
I said the double tap to sleep works on my 950 right now...not the double tap to wake...it still fails to work.
Thank you for your comments!

Jason Siva

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Frustrating that double tap doesn't wake the device. I hate always having to press the button, then going to swipe up to unlock.

No fingerprint scanner is also not good :( In this day and age, for the price you pay for it, you'd expect to see this feature. Seeing cheaper more affordable handsets with fingerprint scanners

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a dual sim 950XL and now reading this. What a joke! Even my Blackberry Priv has double-tap to wake and also pick-up to wake where the screen comes on just by picking up the device. No fingerprint reader is a mistake. The Priv doesn't have one either but at least two other more efficient options than hitting the power button and staring at the screen to unlock. I hope this is fixed soon.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
If MS wants to be taken seriously it has to deliver! Even my LG G4 has this Double-tap to wake/sleep feature and works just fine.
My new and shinny 950 XL "premium" phone dont have touchID scanner which sucks but ok i buy it and now they remove this essential feature! Having to
start the phone by the side key is just a hassle in many situations. They added Double-tap sleep so why the wake up feature is not there is mind blowing.
These small things are the reason people stay away from the platform. No communication from MS, no plan, beta software, missing essential features.
I love my 950 XL and many features like being to finally record call without using thirdparty apps and rooting and stuff, having removable battery and SD card but these small yet so important features making it hard for me to take the phone as my daily driver.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think we can safely assume its not coming! Unlike the 930 with glance, MS have not explained themselves, so there is only a little hope. But certainly not a priority by the looks of it

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I just received my 950XL yesterday. I have only updated the phone and installed Windows Insider Fast on to it to get the latest OS build. I also use a Lumia 930 as my daily until I get the 950 XL set up the way I like. I am totally shocked the tap to wake function is not available even though tap to sleep is. The caveat with double-tap-to-sleep is the taps have to be on the menu bar @ bottom of screen, doesn't work on the overall display area to my knowledge. Such a shame to an otherwise nice phone.

WoodyPWX

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep. Ppl just expecting it's going to be added later, but there is no reason to wait. WM10 already has it working on different Lumia models. Looks like a patent issue to me. Or a major battery problem. Another issue I didn't like was creaking of the back cover. That even can't be fixed by software, new covers are not expected to help and even Mozo covers have similar issues.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, that and no LTE or Visual voicemail. Waited patiently, but frustrated ever time I tried to use the XL, just left it at home and carried my 1020 running 8.1. Who would think we would lose features. I won't get fooled again. AT&T gave me a 99 cent LG tablet for keeping the XLs account alive, the LG has tap to wake.

WoodyPWX

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Actually, it's very important to me to be able to turn on the phone by one finger when it's laying on the table. On LG G4, I can double tap to wake, so even it has buttons on the back, its fine. On iPhone, I just push the main button and can unlock it at the same time by Touch ID. On Lumia 950xl, the button layout is stupid, so it takes a while until I find the middle one and press it using at least two fingers (compensating push from the opposite side). If I can't verify what i'm touching at (at night, wrong angle) it is very annoying.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep. Ppl just expecting it's going to be added later, but there is no reason to wait. WM10 already has it working on different Lumia models. Looks like a patent issue to me. Or a major battery problem. Another issue I didn't like was creaking of the back cover. That even can't be fixed by software, new covers are not expected to help and even Mozo covers have similar issues.

It cant be a battery problem. HTC has it. My LG G4 had it and no problem. Doubt it's patent either. Just pure laziness of MS people. There are many small annoying bugs here and there that they could fix but nope. There has not been any updates for awhile so what the heck are they don't I wonder. Did they pulled the plug on windows phone or something!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
so why not just leave on glance? then you don't have to push any buttons... doesn't use hardly any power supposedly... and to look on the phone or to see or use, whether it would be to make a call or check an email or what have you, then you still have to handle the phone so turning it on with two fingers shouldn't be a problem....unless you GOT problems LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes