Double Tap to wake is gone on 950/950XL OS...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Tap-To-Wake will most likely be added during a future update.

I like Michael's reviews, second only to Lisa Gade, so yeah I'm a bit saddened that the WP/W10M platform has fallen from his favor. Also acting as a catalyst were WP fans, so bitter and angry all the time. Pity.

A 2013 article!? He is still a fan. He loved the Iris feature.

These are great phones. We all know the strengths and weaknesses (apps) of the OS. Windows 10 once you've been using it a while is definitely a step up from 8.1 in so many ways. A 950/xl is definitely the best way to enjoy it.

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I cannot believe this feature is missing. They didn't put glance screen to 930, now they didn't put double tap to wake to 950. I would guess MS would have officially said that it will come in the future (the new Surface review units were missing Hello, but MS said it will come in the future), so I think it is a hardware issue rather than a software/firmware. People wanted to believe that lack of glance screen will be fixed on 930 but it never did and at some point it was confirmed to be a hardware issue. And now it feels like people want to believe this issue will be fixed later but it might never be, we need official statement so that we know it is not a hardware issue...

I hope I am wrong and they will add the feature because double tap to wake is the way I unlock my phone for years and I don't want to give it up.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it: the feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists.

Technology promises are nothing but a gentle breeze blowing, without substance and gone before you know it.

Convince yourself to be happy with whatever it is you buy in the state it exists when you buy it. To play the game of "well, they'll fix/add that later" is a fool's game.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Double-tap to wake has had some issues since installing Win10 on my 1020. I will take the phone out of my pocket and there it is awake telling me I entered the wrong pin too many times. Not always but enough to be annoying.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It was confirmed to have had it already but not sure why it was removed but shouldn't be a hardware issue. Though im not sure:

Theolos

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
The double-tap to wake feature is one of the solutions to the brittle power / wake-up key that has breaked multiple times on Lumia 620 and other models. The abscence of this feature means that my phone will get crippled significantly sooner than expected.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought,

I went through all the settings and noticed the Double Tap setting is not there.

They have a the Double Tap Navigation Bar to Sleep

Why not turn off the option that prevents Wake Up from Holding the Camera Button. Not exactly perfect but that's another way to wake the phone.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The double-tap to wake feature is one of the solutions to the brittle power / wake-up key that has breaked multiple times on Lumia 620 and other models. The abscence of this feature means that my phone will get crippled significantly sooner than expected.
Not just Lumia's, this is a problem on most phones after a time. I had a few iPhones and HTC's where their primary keys became intermittent.

(i'm finding myself increasingly annoyed to have to hit the power key before I mash the phone to my face. I'm thinking my Lumia 1520's double-tap to wake, plus pin is a bit easier.)

gonzalu

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
If the FAQ is correct, we just regressed back to the stone age. One more ding on an otherwise positive outlook for Windows Phone. Why are useful features taken away? Hello is super interesting but as useless as a door knob. I have to stare at my phone intently from 2 inches away for 5 seconds? No thanks, give me a good old fashioned (pun intended) fingerprint reader and I would be happy. It is much more useful (I can use it at arm's length while paying on an NFC terminal for example, or under the table while sneaking a text during a meeting, etc.) and much faster (at least until Hello gets better.

Then there is the app gap that gets better and worse... Some apps are now Universal (welcome) and some are going even darker (Starbucks apps of all sorts are now completely gone!!)

Tap To Wake again, superb feature that I never knew I wanted while a loyal iOS fan... now I can't live without it.

Ugh, back to spamming the feedback app I guess :)

D3V011

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Son of a... I just got a 950 XL, and was looking for tap to wake. I easily use it dozens of times a day on my 1520. Mind-boggling that they shipped a new flagship without the feature.

sjpena

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had a similar experience with the 950 I received last week. Although not a direct replacement, I tried Hello and found that it didn't work very quickly or reliably. Then weird things began to happen on the phone with text messages appearing in the wrong color at random times and then the cell radio stopped working on Thursday (Wi-Fi still worked). Obviously, a hardware problem. Got a new phone from a local AT&T store on Friday and everything works fine. Tried Hello again and I found that it worked much better than the first time and I'm now using it daily (at least for the past 3 days). However, I would urge MS to bring back double-tap. It is one of the best features of the Windows mobile OS.

vitaSvizra

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I also want this feature. On top of that, the "use with gloves" feature is also missing. I think it's kind of combined with double-tap to wake...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria