08-15-2016 03:03 PM
339 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    I never know before that AT&T has such IMEI database to block out other phones to use LTE. As someone mentioned, cricket did not block any phone although they are using AT&T's network.
    It's not so much that they block LTE on certain IMEI's, but their backend automatically removes LTE provisioning when it doesn't recognize that your phone is LTE capable. I temporarily switched to an HSPA+ phone last year when my Lumia 920 was broken. By the time I got a replacement 920, I had to contact AT&T to re-provision my account for LTE because that setting was automatically removed in just a few days.

From this thread discussion, it sounds like currently, the 950 XL IMEI's aren't recognized in AT&T's database as having LTE capability. An AT&T rep can manually add LTE provisioning, but there is a chance that their system could automatically remove that provisioning when the IMEI is detected without any indication that the phone is LTE capable.
    12-09-2015 09:42 AM
    ATT chat confirmed it's a known issue yesterday. They mentioned Dec 10th as a fix, but only after I had suggested it from the forums, so I have little faith. They also said VVM comes with that LTE fix...Side bets???
    12-09-2015 10:43 AM
    ATT chat confirmed it's a known issue yesterday. They mentioned Dec 10th as a fix, but only after I had suggested it from the forums, so I have little faith. They also said VVM comes with that LTE fix...Side bets???
    bets? depends on whether you mentioned the date to them first...
    from my experience with ATT (14 yrs as a customer and just waiting to jump ship), their chat reps are as useful as SOME of the microsoft reps ... so take that as you want...
    on the other hand, every chat i have had with TMO has been a positive one with knowledgeable reps, going the extra distance.
    example... chatted with an ATT rep last friday, got a nano sim card on order... tried to get status with the order number yesterday, couldnt get it automatically with their system, just to be told later from another chat rep that the order number didnt exist... and asked me if i got an email confirming the order - nope... i didnt.... then she told me she wasnt sure how the original rep had placed the order for the sim card as i needed an imei for the card!
    so ATT reps are not the sharpest by any means.
    12-09-2015 11:04 AM
    On with Chat now:
    I was told be two previous chat people that I was provisioned for LTE, so if you don't have LTE, I would bet it isn't really provisioned for it on their side.

I am not sure what they were looking at, you definitely don't have the LTE network provisioned. It is the mobile share smart phone SOC. I have troubleshooted issues under this same circumstance many times. What is happening is with Microsoft model that you have for some reason the system has a hard time recognizing. What i am going to try is intentionally doing an IMEI mismatch so the system recognizes your old phones LTE network. Hopefully that will work. I have fixed it before like that =-)

She took my old IME from my 1520 and put it into the system.

I have LTE now, pretty cool.
    12-10-2015 09:57 AM
    It's not so much that they block LTE on certain IMEI's, but their backend automatically removes LTE provisioning when it doesn't recognize that your phone is LTE capable. I temporarily switched to an HSPA+ phone last year when my Lumia 920 was broken. By the time I got a replacement 920, I had to contact AT&T to re-provision my account for LTE because that setting was automatically removed in just a few days.

From this thread discussion, it sounds like currently, the 950 XL IMEI's aren't recognized in AT&T's database as having LTE capability. An AT&T rep can manually add LTE provisioning, but there is a chance that their system could automatically remove that provisioning when the IMEI is detected without any indication that the phone is LTE capable.
    On with Chat now:
    I was told be two previous chat people that I was provisioned for LTE, so if you don't have LTE, I would bet it isn't really provisioned for it on their side.

I am not sure what they were looking at, you definitely don't have the LTE network provisioned. It is the mobile share smart phone SOC. I have troubleshooted issues under this same circumstance many times. What is happening is with Microsoft model that you have for some reason the system has a hard time recognizing. What i am going to try is intentionally doing an IMEI mismatch so the system recognizes your old phones LTE network. Hopefully that will work. I have fixed it before like that =-)

She took my old IME from my 1520 and put it into the system.

I have LTE now, pretty cool.
    I had this problem with AT&T a long while back with my Lumia 635 right after I got it. (Long before I upgraded to the 640.) 5 calls to customer service to get it provisioned and it still didn't do LTE. I took it into the store, they said it was a known problem. They got it set up for LTE in about 2 minutes time. You know what they did? They used an IMEI number from an iPhone to trick the system.

Yeah, and IMEI from any LTE recognized device on their system will do it for you. Smart call on giving them the 1520 number.
    12-10-2015 01:45 PM
    Had LTE since day one and still have it. No issues.
    Same here. Had LTE since day one with my unlocked 950XL on AT&T or at least that is what it's showing. But I have to ask, is AT&T LTE really this slow? I switched from Verizon for the 950XL. Verizon is much much faster in side by side network speed tests using my Verizon Icon vs 950XL on AT&T. So either AT&T is really slow here in Scottsdale or it's a 950XL problem or I'm not really getting AT&T LTE even though it is showing I am.
    12-10-2015 02:39 PM
    what does the phone display at top of screen when on LTE?
    12-10-2015 03:10 PM
    what does the phone display at top of screen when on lte?
    lte...

wp_ss_20151210_0004.jpg

But Pathetic Speed Tests...

wp_ss_20151210_0005.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Morales; 12-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    12-10-2015 03:31 PM
    So either AT&T is really slow here in Scottsdale or it's a 950XL problem or I'm not really getting AT&T LTE even though it is showing I am.
    In my experience, it depends on the location, though I'm not sure why the AT&T network is not more consistent. Near my work, I usually average about 4 Mbps on LTE. Inside the building, I just tested and got 0.25 Mbps still showing LTE, but my connection often drops to 3G inside here. Near my home, on the other hand, I've gotten over 40 Mbps and probably average around 25. I don't know if it is the network towers or other environmental factors that cause such slow speeds near my work.
    12-10-2015 04:08 PM
    In my experience, it depends on the location, though I'm not sure why the AT&T network is not more consistent. Near my work, I usually average about 4 Mbps on LTE. Inside the building, I just tested and got 0.25 Mbps still showing LTE, but my connection often drops to 3G inside here. Near my home, on the other hand, I've gotten over 40 Mbps and probably average around 25. I don't know if it is the network towers or other environmental factors that cause such slow speeds near my work.
    The number of people actively using the tower that you are currently connected to and how much those people are uploading/downloading through that tower will have an impact on the bandwidth of that tower. If the tower is so heavily in use to be overloaded, you will have very slow speeds as there is only so much the tower can handle. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and there are very few people on the tower out here. I get amazing LTE speeds at home which are usually higher than 25Mbps. (AT&T) When I travel into town where there are more users, I'm lucky to get 4 to 7Mbps, and often only get 1 or 2.

Signal obstruction between you and the tower can also have a serious impact, which is why it slows down when you go inside a building, especially buildings with metal frames.
    12-11-2015 08:45 AM
    so any update on ATT now provisioning the IMEI for the 950XL?
    12-11-2015 09:24 AM
    If your phone is showing LTE, but you didn't have ATT configure your OLD IMEI into your new phone, I bet that is why it is slow. If it worked from the get go on your phone, I would bet the phone is not truly provisioned for LTE. It takes a lot of chat sessions to find someone competent. I had 1 LTE bar and was getting 10 mbps.
    12-11-2015 09:43 AM
    MyATT website still showing "unknown device" if I look under "wireless" but from the account overview if I click show details under a device (picture is still a 1020!) and then click "Learn to use my device" the help pages are for the 950. So that's new since a couple days ago.
    jmajid likes this.
    12-11-2015 09:45 AM
    I hope that AT&T will eventually provision LTE for the XL. I was told by a rep that while using a different model's IMEI might be successful for a while, their network does periodic regional sweeps and whenever the sweeps see a model/IMEI mismatch that their network will "fix" the mismatch and that will cause problems down the road.
    12-11-2015 10:33 AM
    The number of people actively using the tower that you are currently connected to and how much those people are uploading/downloading through that tower will have an impact on the bandwidth of that tower. If the tower is so heavily in use to be overloaded, you will have very slow speeds as there is only so much the tower can handle. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and there are very few people on the tower out here. I get amazing LTE speeds at home which are usually higher than 25Mbps. (AT&T) When I travel into town where there are more users, I'm lucky to get 4 to 7Mbps, and often only get 1 or 2.

Signal obstruction between you and the tower can also have a serious impact, which is why it slows down when you go inside a building, especially buildings with metal frames.
    All of that is understood but the bottom line is that all those factors results in slower LTE speeds. Verizon must have more towers or faster (higher bandwidth to the towers) or better locations or all of the above but the end result is faster LTE...at least where I'm at and most places I go around here. I don't count my home or office because I'm connected to Wi-Fi there. Since I've had the 950XL on ATT, and noticed that it seemed slow, I've been carrying around 2 phones (Verizon Icon and 950XL on ATT) to do speed tests at various locations on my normal routine... sometimes they are roughly the same. But most of the time there is a big difference like maybe .75 on ATT vs 3.5 on Verizon or 4 on ATT vs 9 on Verizon. I've had a T-Mobile sim that I haven't activated yet that I will be testing starting later today. I'm hoping it works better because I know it will probably be a while before ATT will upgrade their infrastructure here.

One more thing... the coverage seems better on Verizon too. The couple times that I was in outlying areas, Verizon had a great signal where ATT had no signal or was very weak. So now I understand all the people that say Verizon is the only carrier that works where they are.

I will find a way to make things work with either ATT or T-Mobile since I love the 950XL but I really hope MS fixes this problem they have with Verizon.
    Last edited by Mark Morales; 12-11-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    12-11-2015 11:08 AM
    A better test would be to use two AT&T-connected phones, one an unlocked Lumia 950 or 950XL phone which was brought into AT&T, and the other an AT&T-branded phone. Then compare LTE speeds.
    12-11-2015 11:34 AM
    I am chatting with AT&T, seems like will take longer, as the agent wants to double check the LTE coverage in my area and she believes 4G connection is good enough......
    How do you guys speak to AT&T to let them check imei number information?
    12-11-2015 11:47 AM
    All of that is understood but the bottom line is that all those factors results in slower LTE speeds. Verizon must have more towers or faster (higher bandwidth to the towers) or better locations or all of the above but the end result is faster LTE...at least where I'm at and most places I go around here. I don't count my home or office because I'm connected to Wi-Fi there. Since I've had the 950XL on ATT, and noticed that it seemed slow, I've been carrying around 2 phones (Verizon Icon and 950XL on ATT) to do speed tests at various locations on my normal routine... sometimes they are roughly the same. But most of the time there is a big difference like maybe .75 on ATT vs 3.5 on Verizon or 4 on ATT vs 9 on Verizon. I've had a T-Mobile sim that I haven't activated yet that I will be testing starting later today. I'm hoping it works better because I know it will probably be a while before ATT will upgrade their infrastructure here.
    You've got a difference between AT&T and Verizon, not a 950 vs 930.

The reason you're getting better speeds on Verizon is all due to location. In many parts of the country, AT&T has the faster LTE speeds.

Generally, in most of the US, Verizon has more complete coverage and AT&T has faster speeds. Doesn't mean Verizon covers everything AT&T does, nor does it mean AT&T is always faster. There are exceptions to both.
    12-11-2015 12:10 PM
    lte...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20151210_0004.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	118684

But Pathetic Speed Tests...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20151210_0005.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	118685
    I've got an unlocked 950XL on AT&T.

SpeedTest.net results:

Ping: 85ms
    Download: 9.04Mbps
    Upload: 3.61Mbps

Seems ok to me.
    12-11-2015 12:48 PM
    I bought the unlocked 950 XL from the Microsoft store and initially had AT&T use the 950 XL's IMEI number to get the phone working. As I have been reading the forums, have I tried various options to get LTE working. Today, I was at a local ATT store buying 5 new Lumia 950's for my company and on a chance, I had the ATT rep use the IMEI from a regular 950 and I am happy to report that my Lumia 950 XL has LTE now. I am not sure if there are any long term issues with using another phones IMEI number but for now LTE appears to be working.
    12-11-2015 01:58 PM
    Although it's no LTE indication, ping 125 ms, download 9.23 Mbps, upload 1.37 Mbps. Seems not that bad.
    12-11-2015 02:58 PM
    Although it's no LTE indication, ping 125 ms, download 9.23 Mbps, upload 1.37 Mbps. Seems not that bad.
    yeah and I have the LTE indicator and yet I often only get: ping 140-200, 1-2 down, < .1 up... :(
    12-11-2015 03:13 PM
    Thought I would share I've seen AT&T LTE Speeds in the OKC area on my 950XL. I've seen it as high as 48Mbps down/15Mbps up, so the phone can push decent speeds. You can see tests around town show speed was all over the place after I got the LTE/ IMEI fixed.

Also, I came from an unlocked 930 that was registered with AT&T, because it's IMEI was previously assigned to the account by the AT&T store (when I got the Nano Sim for the 930) I was stuck on 4G no matter who I talked to until I stuck the SIM into a spare L635 Go Phone, called AT&T and assigned that IMEI to the account, once I moved the SIM back to the 950 XL, LTE has worked fine since. The device still shows "Unknown Device" on my AT&T Account.

capture.png
    12-11-2015 04:36 PM
    Still no answer to whether AT&T is going to assign an IMEI number for the 950XL? I guess I will continue in my holding pattern......
    12-12-2015 08:24 AM
    So I was originally told by the rep that I was working that the 10th would be the day. He called yesterday and told me that he apologized but the group that was going to provision my 950XL IMEI had not completed the action. He stated that I would happen but they would need a couple of more days.

What was more interesting was that he stated that this action would only effect my phone. I guess that the takeaway is that ATT can provision one phone at a time? Seems odd to me. Anyway, he said that he would call back this week (which he has been very reliable about) for an update.

Well, I do not know where this is heading but it will surely be interesting. Stay tuned and I will update when I have more.
    Fenoy likes this.
    12-13-2015 12:47 AM
339 ... 910111213 ...