Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
but the new Nexus' don't have full USB 3.0 throughput like the 950's do. :wink:

Haha. Just don't want you to sound like Steve Jobs. Next we will have to hear about how Windows is the first to build a notification center with a flashlight.

Expat-GAD

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I have to say that after almost a week of using my 950XL there are parts i love and there are parts I'm very disappointed with.

Bearing in mind i have both the unlocked dual sim 950 and the 950 XL on my desk.

Pros
love the weight and the camera is awesome.
the phone is quick and snappy. And cannot fault the responsiveness of the screen.(for the most part)
Battery life for me has been good and most days. (unplug at 7:30 am plug back in at 11 pm) i have around 25-35% Battery.
Windows 10 mobile has massive potential and for the most part have found apps that kind of work but are not official and are flaky but I'm prepared to put up with on the hope of the never never that an official app will come along. Although no jawbone UP app is cripplingly annoying at this point.
Outlook integration as well as the calendar is very powerful and plays a major part in my day.
Maps works. its quirky but im ok to accept that as its early days.
Cortana. when it works i love the ability to ask for directions, give it an address and it fires up maps and off i go !

Cons
I have seen the phone reboot about a dozen times unexpectedly with no apparent improvement in stability and no record as to why.
The camera sometime has issues getting a focus lock. and will shift focus in the middle of taking a picture so its a 50/50 as to whether you get a blurry image or not.
outlook integration is fantastic yet horrible at the same time. e.g. I can type out a decent email and send it but try searching for a previous appointment in the calendar to pull up specifics like contact details within the notes of an appointment are cripplingly slow and is hit and miss as to whether you will or wont get all of the info in the notes.
over the last 24 hours my on screen keyboard has become sluggish and unresponsive in places and also noticed that auto correct has taken a back seat for no apparent reason.
Maps has at times shown major glitches in the shading of parts of the terrain. Suspecting this was a possible heat issue. I checked the phone but was cool. routing options are not the greatest and directions are at times hap haphazardly inaccurate or late.
The plastic casing has started to "creak" for no apparent reason. ( back has been taken off 3 times - Correctly )

I really really want to like my 950XL. I will not accept as some have posted that "well its windows so its bound to be flaky in the beginning" Microsoft NEED this phone to be a win. We as a user base have to expect better and Microsoft have to understand this. and being this late into the game they have to do better than this to be a contender beyond the fan base. Continuum looks impressive but I'm not 100% sure that I will still have the phone by the time my box arrives.

I can ignore the creaking. I can ignore the glitchy and unfinished maps. I can ignore a lot of quirks but outlook integration being half baked is a black mark indeed. An os with this powerhouse of a processor developing sluggish keyboard responses after less than 7 days use is unacceptable. I do not have any games installed. i have removed a good chunk of the pre installed apps because i simply wont use them.

The handset is intended for work and for the most part it checks all the boxes but when i have to fire up a laptop to search my calendar because my brand new windows phone (that has access to my entire history and is visible) cannot perform a simple search within itself is a massive deal breaker. Especially when the microsoft app that's runs on IOS AND Android can do it so much better.

I keep thinking if things will get better. its early days, but part of me feels this phone is still very much beta and not worth the price i paid.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Battery life??? Seriously? Where have you been the last 8 years. Plug your phone in during the day.
And/or get an external battery/charger. They cost so little these days.

You can read about new owners of every new phone, be it the iPhone 6S, Nexus 6P, Samsung Edge, whatever, always tons of complaints about battery life... the flaws of the 950XL might be many, but battery life doesn't seem to be unusually low compared to the competition from what I see at least.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And/or get an external battery/charger. They cost so little these days.

You can read about new owners of every new phone, be it the iPhone 6S, Nexus 6P, Samsung Edge, whatever, always tons of complaints about battery life... the flaws of the 950XL might be many, but battery life doesn't seem to be unusually low compared to the competition from what I see at least.

Low compared to my 1520 which lasted 2 days on a charge. Low compared to my 640 which lasts a day and a bit.

Kevin Schaefer

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I might be returning mine. The battery even after 5 days and 8 complete kill / charge cycles... it just drains so fast. IN standby its fine, but once you fire up that screen, its all over. 20% + per hour drain.(Fun game - go into the battery saver screen and look what uses the most power. My screen uses 65% - 80% of total power, without fail) I have turned off everything not critical as a background task. Add to the fact that mobile hotspot no longer works (yes, I called AT&T, make sure the IMEI was right, and then went as far to go into their store. Nothing is wrong on their end). I get my display dock today, and if that doesn't bowl me over, it's going back to the store. Much like the OP I have been waiting a while for this, and the kicker is there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 1520 it replaced. Nothing. Added fact: the 1520 got 24 - 32 hours of battery usage before it hit 15%. This one gets 10 hours....

Does your phone show 4G or LTE? I used my Lumia 1020 IMEI to get the nano SIM provisioned by taping it into the Lumia 1020 SIM tray. Once it came up with LTE, I moved the SIM to my 950 XL. I have LTE and Internet sharing on my 950 XL, even though AT&T's website shows my line with an unknown device. I don't have visual voicemail, but I can live without that.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Does your phone show 4G or LTE? I used my Lumia 1020 IMEI to get the nano SIM provisioned by taping it into the Lumia 1020 SIM tray. Once it came up with LTE, I moved the SIM to my 950 XL. I have LTE and Internet sharing on my 950 XL, even though AT&T's website shows my line with an unknown device. I don't have visual voicemail, but I can live without that.

LTE. Yea visual voicemail I can take it or leave it. But it also showed up as an unknown device on ATTs site. My 1520.3 showed as a 1520 though which was interesting.

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to see u guys having problems. Absolutely love my XL. I didn't want the 1520 because of the size but got an 830. The only issue I had was battery life. I turned off hey Cortana and hello and have been fine since. I'll put back hello when it's out of beta. I don't really need hey Cortana. I can always just push the button on my Band 2. Now I see why Siri on iphones only works while it's plugged in. And I love Continuum. I plug it up at work and enjoy my T-Mobile unlimited. I was worried after my Clear hotspot was killed by Sprint but I'm doing ok now.

Kevin Schaefer

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I just tried Continuum with my Push2TV (display dock is backordered), and it is really awesome. I really like the 950 XL, but sadly mine has something on the inside of the camera lens cover glass, and I am definitely going to return it. I would exchange it, but it doesn't look like they are going to be available for a little while. I plan to keep the display dock, because technically I did buy the phone during the offer period, and hopefully I will be able to get a replacement phone before 2016. This is definitely the flagship phone that I was waiting for after AT&T neutered the 1520. I thought about getting a 1520.3, but they were too hard to find for a good price by the time I learned about them.

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the 950 and 950XL and ended up with a Black Friday special $30 Lumia 940 (and a great $25 flip case) which I am more than happy with. You can even snag a 640XL for less than $200 on eBay. I'm coming from a 920 and the 640 is faster and lighter. Sure, there are some concessions like the dedicated camera button but nothing I can't live without. At $30 I can certainly afford to wait for the bugs to be worked out or the next generation of Windows phones to be introduced. I just can't justify almost $700 for a phone. That's more than a Surface tablet with the keyboard.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I really don't think you can sell a phone that is ready for beta testing with this price tag. It has made me realize I need to consider more of my options, I've been way too narrow in scope because I was a fan boy.
I'm not buying another windows phone until they show me they are serious about windows phone. I'm talking about Windows 10 mobile actually ready and optimize for actual use. I'm talking about actual marketing so people will buy a windows phone. I'm talking about the phone being available for all carriers not just one. If I didn't know better I swear the whole windows mobile team including Gabriel Aul is rocking iphones.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I have a 1520 through ATT and I have visual voicemail and don't want it..how to get rid of it??

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I love mine. Yes, there are some bugs. But honestly, it takes a minimal effort to get it working. I did a hard reset to fix the Outlook email image bug. I spent a few hours customizing settings, background app permissions, downloading and setting up apps, etc. These really aren't difficult things to do... So forgive me if I just /rollface at the OP.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Random question in regards to the OneDrive issues... Have you actually opened up OneDrive? It doesn't actually start syncing photos the first time on W10M until you complete the little getting started dialogue on first open.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Random question in regards to the OneDrive issues... Have you actually opened up OneDrive? It doesn't actually start syncing photos the first time on W10M until you complete the little getting started dialogue on first open.

Of course. Not my first rodeo with wp or w10.

It just took 3 hours to upload a 95mb video on my 950xl. After a fresh reset.

abyssartsstudio

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I think I got a bad one out of the batch, my phone got super hot, die in 30 minutes, reboot over 20 time in the first to two hours, it froze up when I use the camera, and froze up after selecting my music on my sc card. This was the worst phone experience I ever had, and it took all day to get microsoft to help me out, they have the worst customer service ever. The microsoft stores and the online is not even connected. If you buy it out of the store you can not send it back or call microsoft. You got to find a store to take it back and they act like they didn't want to held. When they finally said that they will replace the phone , they made me pay for the ship and refused to help with the shipping. This is crazy, I never knew Microsoft was this bad, I think I may even go Mac with my home computer and get rid of windows. Steve Jobs was right the whole time, Microsoft is garbage. Point blank. I was the the biggest user. Its like finding out superman is not really super but weak. I was really pulling for Microsoft to knock everybody off the block, but they where very disrespectful to loyal fan by putting out this crap uncompleted.I even drove 2 hours to the next city to get my 950lx, so thats 4 hours their and back.I did the same thing to reserve it because they where out of 950xl online but they just would not help me. TAKE IT BACK IF YOU CAN. but if you do I hope that a update will help those who my keep it.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think I got a bad one out of the batch, my phone got super hot, die in 30 minutes, reboot over 20 time in the first to two hours, it froze up when I use the camera, and froze up after selecting my music on my sc card. This was the worst phone experience I ever had, and it took all day to get microsoft to help me out, they have the worst customer service ever. The microsoft stores and the online is not even connected. If you buy it out of the store you can not send it back or call microsoft. You got to find a store to take it back and they act like they didn't want to held. When they finally said that they will replace the phone , they made me pay for the ship and refused to help with the shipping. This is crazy, I never knew Microsoft was this bad, I think I may even go Mac with my home computer and get rid of windows. Steve Jobs was right the whole time, Microsoft is garbage. Point blank. I was the the biggest user. Its like finding out superman is not really super but weak. I was really pulling for Microsoft to knock everybody off the block, but they where very disrespectful to loyal fan by putting out this crap uncompleted.I even drove 2 hours to the next city to get my 950lx, so thats 4 hours their and back.I did the same thing to reserve it because they where out of 950xl online but they just would not help me. TAKE IT BACK IF YOU CAN. but if you do I hope that a update will help those who my keep it.

That was exactly my experience. I can understand a few minor bugs, but it is inexcusable to put your loyal fans through a torturous time on customer support lines trying to make a phone that was actually promised to them work. I just don't have time to wonder if I can install apps on the SD card or if the phone is going to reboot endlessly or if I can take phone calls for work without it turning off randomly. Every other Windows Phone I have owned has been the best phone I've used without torture (HTC Trophy-->Lumia 1520-->Lumia 640). Lumia 950xl out of the box was so unstable and painful to try to use, the only reason I tried for more than a couple of hours is because I was a fan boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2