Just got my Lumia 950 XL ( New WP user )

Hasnz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone ! .

I couldn't help but try the windows phone finally . I am still an android and ios user and I understand what to expect and overcome the frustations . So I guess I can share my experience and ask tons of question

First of all . I read a lot about hard resetting the phone . It this basically a factory reset ?? . I have a .29 update and 42 apps update . When do one should hard reset the phone ?

Can you revert back to the default build ?

I have the latest .29 build . How can I know the size of the build ? . There is no info and the details page is not helpful either .

Though not an app person but if someone can point me to some popular app link would be appreciated .

inital impressions regarding 950XL

- The build is ok for my taste . I was going for a Note5 but the glass back was a dealbreaker for me so . .
-Its comfortable to hold
-After startup and the intial download happening , it does get pretty warm .

thank you in advance

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
congrats... it's a great device. tell us what apps you need... for example instead of instagram use 6tag, facebook i prefer the facebook beta... to get the facebook beta you have to insyall this app: sysapp pusher...

Hasnz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks

For the start I really need the basic and google app alternatives . I already found a lot of useful link on WC that should help .
Thanks for the facebook beta tip . I was wondering why isnt there an official app . Also why do you this this sysapp pusher ? . Microsoft store does not suuport the app ?

thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to WC and I can totally relate the 'transition' from iOS/android to WP as I have all 3 and trust me, it's not as complicated as it seems.

For starters, we have official apps eg facebook, whatsapp, telegram, etc.. but as u spend more time on windows phone, u will realise most of the 3rd party apps are actually better eg 6tag for instagram, 4th&mayor for foursquare/swarm, sapphire. for tumblr, etc.

As for resets, soft reset is safe to be done (i do it almost every week) to clear up ur memory and it retains all ur apps n data. Hard reset is usually recommended after an update to get the best and smoothest firmware experience, BUT u will lose all ur apps n data.. which fortunately can be backed up prior updates and restored afterwards.

Updates, iinm, have a few stages. Firstly, the download process is best with wifi connection at stable speed. Secondly, the update process itself is the 'cog wheel' screen. LEAVE IT FOR A FEW MINUTES, do not restart ur phone, it WILL complete and restart. Thirdly, the data migration process, which usually takes a few minutes depend on the number of apps n data stored on the phone. Finally, all ur apps & data will be redownloaded and reinstalled.

Oh yeah, battery utilization is important too. Turn off unwanted notifications and background apps to preserve longer battery standby time.

Hasnz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to WC and I can totally relate the 'transition' from iOS/android to WP as I have all 3 and trust me, it's not as complicated as it seems.

For starters, we have official apps eg facebook, whatsapp, telegram, etc.. but as u spend more time on windows phone, u will realise most of the 3rd party apps are actually better eg 6tag for instagram, 4th&mayor for foursquare/swarm, sapphire. for tumblr, etc.

As for resets, soft reset is safe to be done (i do it almost every week) to clear up ur memory and it retains all ur apps n data. Hard reset is usually recommended after an update to get the best and smoothest firmware experience, BUT u will lose all ur apps n data.. which fortunately can be backed up prior updates and restored afterwards.

Updates, iinm, have a few stages. Firstly, the download process is best with wifi connection at stable speed. Secondly, the update process itself is the 'cog wheel' screen. LEAVE IT FOR A FEW MINUTES, do not restart ur phone, it WILL complete and restart. Thirdly, the data migration process, which usually takes a few minutes depend on the number of apps n data stored on the phone. Finally, all ur apps & data will be redownloaded and reinstalled.

Oh yeah, battery utilization is important too. Turn off unwanted notifications and background apps to preserve longer battery standby time.

Still need to fiddle around with the maps .

Just did the .29 upgrade and went smoothly . The battery seems ok for now . Still need to install stuff .

One issue I noticed . The picture upload with CloudDrive and Dropbox doesnt seem to work . I just took some quick snaps and tried upload to test . Also it seems that the upload stop if the app is working in background .
The upload speed seems pretty slow . Shouldn't take much time uploading a 4 mb image .

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Still need to fiddle around with the maps .

Just did the .29 upgrade and went smoothly . The battery seems ok for now . Still need to install stuff .

One issue I noticed . The picture upload with CloudDrive and Dropbox doesnt seem to work . I just took some quick snaps and tried upload to test . Also it seems that the upload stop if the app is working in background .
The upload speed seems pretty slow . Shouldn't take much time uploading a 4 mb image .

Not my place (and no idea about the issues you're experiencing on dropbox), but might I ask why you aren't using onedrive? I would have thought it is miles better than dropbox...

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
No you don't? I installed the Facebook beta and didn't need to use that app?

You don't need the app but you have to find it as fb beta does not show up in search. Find an article here about facebook beta and it will have the link.

Regarding heat after initial setup: It is normal as the OS virtually just updated all the apps from the internet. So it was working alot to download and install everything in one go.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, the 950 XL is a stellar device albeit some users have been experiencing a few issues recently.

Yes, a factory reset is a hard reset.

At present I am not sure if the 950 XL roms are available via Navifirm in order to revert back to a previous builds.

In regards to the APPs, as of late we have been getting a spate of universal apps so presuming this momentum continues through 2016. We should be looking pretty good in terms of a decent app ecosystem.

In regards to the volume?

That will take awhile as neither ios or android amassed that many apps over a short period of time.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows 10 experience. Most of the things you need to know have already been covered. I will mention that the experience is enhanced if you use MSFT based applications. Most of my friends who have transitioned to Windows mobile after iOS or Android had issues with their mail client or contacts list. I would recommend using outlook over gmail. Groove over Apple Music or Google play. People outside of the Windows phone realm seem to forget about Skype, but it's worth looking into as MSFT is doing some nice things with it, and looks to broaden it's functionality more next year. GroupMe has improved immensely and I find most of my friends using that more than hangouts. Just some things to look into to enhance your Windows mobile experience.

miklosb

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Upload to Onedrive isn't any better, it is incredibly slow, and I also have the impression that Camera upload doesn't work in the background. This is my biggest issue with the device/OS. I already took a lot of photos of the kids (I LOVE live images, awesome for social photos), but I had to copy the photos/videos through USB to share it with others. Very frustrating.
Otherwise: it's a fantastic device.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Upload to Onedrive isn't any better, it is incredibly slow, and I also have the impression that Camera upload doesn't work in the background. This is my biggest issue with the device/OS. I already took a lot of photos of the kids (I LOVE live images, awesome for social photos), but I had to copy the photos/videos through USB to share it with others. Very frustrating.
Otherwise: it's a fantastic device.

It's working just fine, even in the background. Make sure you launched the OneDrive app at least once, as it connects to your Microsoft account and enables the auto-upload feature. In the OneDrive app, head to settings and scroll down a bit. There's a switch to allow upload using mobile data. When it's turned off, pictures and videos will only be uploaded when the device is connected to a WiFi network.
The OneDrive app does not to be running at all, in order to have your files uploaded to the cloud. Depending on your upload settings (mobile data and/or WiFi) videos and pictures should upload immediately.

miklosb

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
You describe the feature as it is intended to work, and it might work on your phone, but believe me, for many other users, it doesn't. I've been investigating this for days and I saw many other complaints.
One additional piece to the puzzle: I just noticed it today, upload works fine at my workplace, where I'm connected to a different wifi network. So it is probably something to do with wifi configurations. And before I get smart suggestion :): no, my home wifi is not slow, I speedtested it, it works at normal speed in other applications.

Hasnz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the kind reply !

So far the experience has been pretty smooth without any problems . The .29 update is fine as well as the battery life for now . I am in love with the interface and dark theme . Unfortunately groove music service and Cortana are not available in UAE region so cannot try them yet :( .

Camera : Still need to take more snaps but I am pretty happy with the results . I did some quick camparison snaps with my collegues Note 5 and for the two images we took the results were more pleasing on 950xl . we didnt compare on a pixel level but overall . The white balance was more accurate . I know that the Note5 and LG v10 are as good and each may take lead in different conditions . I wont make 4k videos because I dont need to .
They were very impressed with the Flash trick though

For Facebook Beta app I had to install the Sysapp pusher . It was not showing in the store in my case . The app itself is ok for now . Two feature I am missing are the save link feature . I cannot also share an image while previewing it . I have to save it .

Email Setups : While my gmail address and other emails setups went pretty smoothly , One of my account is giving me issue setting up . Even when going to advance settings and adding additional details . It does setup but not syncing and giving certification error . Surprisingly , the very account setup was all automatic on outlook for android :/ .

Multi task window : After using it , I feel that its a slight lag on the user experience side when pressing and holding the back button . I would prefer having it on double tapping on the home button . I might get used to its a more snappier input in most android phone and iphone .

FlipBoard :
Using this app on windows has been a completely different experience . The loading is slow and the pages dont flip ! . Is there any good alternative ?

App scaling : Some of the app scale seems way too big . How can I adjust this ? . watsapp chat seems too big . I have lower my dpi settings a little and while the windows interface is smaller , some aaps are right at your face .

Thanks again

and yeh . The glance screen and preeettyyy cooool :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk