Which one do I buy? 950xl Or 950?

mickrich

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Which one to buy? 950xl Or 950 ??

Friends.. I am a big Microsoft fan...

Owning a lumia 1520 and also forced my family to have lumia!!.. Basically have Lumia 535, Lumia 730 and a Lumia 650 in my house.. ;)

Planning to buy a new Lumia for myself.. I am confused on which one to buy - Lumia 950 XL or Lumia 950...

My 1520 is just awesome, rocking the latest W10.. but it gets heated when I take continuous snaps or play any videos and sometimes it might restart....Initially it was a battery issue, changing it gave a superb result for few months. Now I again have problems...

I like the 950XL over 950.. However I am reading many negative reviews due to overheating.. Is the issue fixed in the latest firmware update? My 1520 gets hot sometimes that it becomes an issue when I want to attend calls.. Is the heating in 950XL bearable??? I am from chennai, India.. so obviously temperatures are generally high here.. :amaze:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Which one to buy? 950xl Or 950 ??

There's no overheating dont know where you read this. There is slight warming issues on new redstone builds. But the 950XL is the best choice for performance and the amazing screen to bezel ratio. It just looks better in general. Get the black one.

MS does a really great job with stabilizing the heat of the 810 chip. The BEST out of any phone using it. I post this quite often which a review tested.

"It turns out that Microsoft is the only manufacturer that can handle the Snapdragon 810. The Lumia 950 XL also loses some performance, but the drop is comparatively small at 14.5%. Other smartphones with the same SoC suffer from bigger performance drops, it does not matter if you look at the LG Flex 2 (-16.2%), OnePlus 2 (-33%), Sony Xperia Z5 (-29%), Nexus 6P (-31%) or HTC One M9 (-38%)."

This was also done before MS optimized the OS. now on .218 it is even more optimized.

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

950xl all the way. It can get warm, but not hot. The fact you can feel the heat means it has been moved from the cpu to the case. This is due to the liquid cooled cpu. I really wouldn't worry about the phone heating up.

Now that is put of the way, the reasons for the xl over the 950 are simple. Its faster with a much better screen. Continuum runs better as well as the most intensive games. The only reason for the 950 is price. Oh, by the way, I chose the xl over the 950 :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

950xl all the way. It can get warm, but not hot. The fact you can feel the heat means it has been moved from the cpu to the case. This is due to the liquid cooled cpu. I really wouldn't worry about the phone heating up.

Now that is put of the way, the reasons for the xl over the 950 are simple. Its faster with a much better screen. Continuum runs better as well as the most intensive games. The only reason for the 950 is price. Oh, by the way, I chose the xl over the 950 :)

I agree with choosing the 950 XL, but it actually is not liquid cooled. MS misled us a little bit on that one.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
hasasimo: It's liquid cooled meaning it has a heat pipe just like any modern laptop or tablet computer. No misleading there, unless you were actually expecting it to have water inside?

OP, XL is the way to go, especially given the praise you gave for the 1520. A 950 would be just too small.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The other thing to consider is when is Microsoft releasing something newer--what if you buy the 950xl this month and in June they announce the fabled surface phone... Otherwise, you would probably prefer the 950xl's size.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
hasasimo: It's liquid cooled meaning it has a heat pipe just like any modern laptop or tablet computer. No misleading there, unless you were actually expecting it to have water inside?

OP, XL is the way to go, especially given the praise you gave for the 1520. A 950 would be just too small.

I mean, that's what "liquid" cooling suggests, and MS clearly stated that the 950 XL would include liquid cooling. Having a heat pipe inside does not equate to liquid cooling per say. MS later changed their language to a system "based" on liquid cooling.

Watch this (2:15): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmG1QOOXXI

Similar controversy with the new S7 Galaxy S7 and S7 edge: Liquid cooling explained | BGR

This is not "liquid" cooling...

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a 950XL bought in past winter, it was OK then. When it gets warmer and warmer I begin to feel the headache that I don't feel comfortable to put the phone in any of my pant pocket because of the size. Now I begin to worry about summer time.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

I own both.....NO noticeable performance difference between them, the XL does feel warmer, don't know if it just conducts heat in a different manner, or if it runs that much hotter....XL has GG4, 950 GG3, both displays are gorgeous, I think the pixel density is actually a little higher on the 950.....to me it comes down to a size thing only.....and I find that I seem to be leaning towards the 950 as my favorite

Sent from mTalk

mickrich

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950XL bought in past winter, it was OK then. When it gets warmer and warmer I begin to feel the headache that I don't feel comfortable to put the phone in any of my pant pocket because of the size. Now I begin to worry about summer time.

oooh.. your reply sounds concerning...

mickrich

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
i think, i'll lean towards 950....

1520 is an awesome phone...but it also used to become hot.. At times i would have given a lecture on how great the windows phone OS is to my friends, followed by my 1520 restarting because it would have become hot by playing asphalt... sigh... worst moments!!!

I used to manage that all high config phones dissipate heat.. My friend plays the same game in his HTC and proves otherwise..

I belong to the group who consider that having a windows phone is a privilege.. something that makes us to stay above the rest...

In my city, current temp is around 35 C... I assume it will only make the XL hotter... would love to get some feedback from someone who has used 950XL in warm/hot regions..

mickrich

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Closed my eyes.. the thought of going to a smaller phone dreaded me..

950 XL all the way.. !! Getting it delivered today!!

Replacing my white 1520 beast with a black 950xl beauty!!

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Originally posted by mickrich
Closed my eyes.. the thought of going to a smaller phone dreaded me..

950 XL all the way.. !! Getting it delivered today!!

Replacing my white 1520 beast with a black 950xl beauty!!

Haha I knew you would make the right choice. I have just ordered another 950xl (dual sim this time as that was all they had) because i regrettably sold my last one.

I've been rocking a 640 since and it hasn't been the same. The 950xl fly's compares to this.

mickrich

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

finally the lady arrived.. 950Xl is just rocking.. it was a little warm when i was installing apps.. but it became normal soon after that.. Battery life is really good.. and the display is gorgeous.. Windows hello is too quick.. would like all apps to use it as authentication in future!!

Camera.. well no words... my 1520 is still awesome.. 950xl just raised the bar..

all in all happy that I went for 950 xl.. (and especially got a black one instead of white.. the AMOLED screen just stands out in the black cover.. )

If microsoft does reads it.. Do continue to develope WIndows 10 mobile and its devices.. there are some fans out there who have convinced their entire family to have a lumia.. just coz they love Microsoft & Windows!

My only Non-Microsoft device should be the chromecast!! ;)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats and enjoy! I've seen quite a bit of love for the back version lately. Am I the only one that prefers the white? After seeing them in person it also looks like hand oils and sweat show up more on the black.

I'd probably go with a Mozo shell in the end anyway... and maybe buy the non-OEM cyan and orange covers for a change.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

If you return it now, it looks like they are running a promo where buy the XL get the regular free. You could get both for the same price.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL doesn't ever get hot on the latest Threshold builds, does get hot on the Redstone ones.

On threshold, With the Mozo cover, it sometimes feels warmer than it does with the stock cover, but that is expected. I might get the new Mozo wood covers now.

The 950 was too small for me, especially considering that some space is used up the nav bar in most apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon