Lumia 950xl Phone Stability

Micky M

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
After the 14393.3 upgrade a day before, it went fine initially but yday evening started a flurry of reboots. Had about 10 reboots in a span of 2 hours...got tired was able to back up the important content and did a WDRT to newer version.

Now the phone is on the latest WDRT build, but still having random reboots.

And also weird thing was after WDRT update (twice), the windows home page screen didn't have any icons. i had to repin all of them.

Any pointers?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
If you back up an Anniversary Update build and then WDRT the phone, the older OS is installed and can't handle the backup format from the anniversary update, so you get a limited or blank start screen. This is a known consequence that affected me too when I had to wipe a recent FR build to get the latest firmware anjd fix some store-related glitches. It's tedious to rebuild a start screen, but it should be stable once you finish the process unless you reset again.

The random reboots sound more serious. I don't have any thoughts about that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is under warranty, I would get it replaced. (emphasize that you already used WDRT in the report.)

I had an 830 that would randomly reboot regardless of what I tried. Got it replaced although I had to send it in twice.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Ive seen something similar and on my 950XL. Sometimes when pressing the start button the screen will go black and the phone will refuse to wake up. It then starts getting warm to hot, to the touch and I either hold power down until it reboots or pull the battery.

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Those of you having this issue please physically check your battery and see if it has bulged/swollen. The one in my 950 XL experiencing crashes and reboots is swollen while the one in my other 950 XL which isn't experiencing any issues is perfectly normal. Unfortunately I don't have time to swap them to see if it's the cause of the problem because the second is used by my wife as her work phone..will try this week end.

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Ive seen something similar and on my 950XL. Sometimes when pressing the start button the screen will go black and the phone will refuse to wake up. It then starts getting warm to hot, to the touch and I either hold power down until it reboots or pull the battery.

I had the same problem and i did tried everything but the issue was never resolved and at last when I went to service center it was confirmed that my phone had some hardware issues. So better visit a Microsoft Service center.

Micky M

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank You...!!getting painful to use lately. about 10 restarts or more a day now, its just I am travelling and have this as the only phone...will have to get it checked soon though.

Micky M

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Yea, i thought something was wrong with restoration of backup. so did a fresh WDRT restore. The install was ok, though had to download all the apps. Restarts still bothering a lot. more than before.

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Changed the battery in the 950 XL which was having issues and no more crashes or reboots. So there you have it. If you are experiencing random reboots, crashes when hitting the start screen or turning on the device, battery level being totally different (by more than 10%) after a reboot etc it means that your battery is shot (especially if it has started to swollen like mine..). Try to grab a new one..which is nearly impossible since they are not officially sold (and won't ever be according to my contact at MS because both 950 and XL have already reached the end of their production run).

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Those of you having this issue please physically check your battery and see if it has bulged/swollen. The one in my 950 XL experiencing crashes and reboots is swollen while the one in my other 950 XL which isn't experiencing any issues is perfectly normal. Unfortunately I don't have time to swap them to see if it's the cause of the problem because the second is used by my wife as her work phone..will try this week end.

Mine has become bulged/swollen. It seems after the firmware upgrade. I wonder if the phone was over charging and ruined the battery. I'm going to the MS store today to see if they can do something. So weird.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine has become bulged/swollen. It seems after the firmware upgrade. I wonder if the phone was over charging and ruined the battery. I'm going to the MS store today to see if they can do something. So weird.

Do you have any pics?
When mine was draining like crazy, a few days ago (yet another reset seemed to fix that), mine got crazy-hot, just by itself (not charging).

Now, I'm having a heck of a time, it was charging something along the lines of 2-3%/hour today (on my 2.4A USB charger, usually charges 50% in about an hour), until I removed the battery to check it.
Then, I went from my 84% (that took almost 4 hours to get to, from 72%), up to 99%, after examining the battery and restarting the phone, strange stuff, I'm having trouble believing that my shut-down/battery-removal/replace/restart recalibrated it to 99%, somehow.
My battery has some odd raised sections along the edges, but doesn't look "buldged" in the middle anyway.

I'm starting to get pretty tired of the new firmware and 14393.5 stability/reliability...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any pics?
When mine was draining like crazy, a few days ago (yet another reset seemed to fix that), mine got crazy-hot, just by itself (not charging).

Now, I'm having a heck of a time, it was charging something along the lines of 2-3%/hour today (on my 2.4A USB charger, usually charges 50% in about an hour), until I removed the battery to check it.
Then, I went from my 84% (that took almost 4 hours to get to, from 72%), up to 99%, after examining the battery and restarting the phone, strange stuff, I'm having trouble believing that my shut-down/battery-removal/replace/restart recalibrated it to 99%, somehow.
My battery has some odd raised sections along the edges, but doesn't look "buldged" in the middle anyway.

I'm starting to get pretty tired of the new firmware and 14393.5 stability/reliability...

Don't have it anymore. They replaced the whole phone for me. It's pretty dangerous if a battery gets like that, so likely why he replaced the unit right away.

For me it was obvious. The battery wouldn't even fit back into the phone once it came out. Typically it's flat. The edges sound normal on yours. The bulge happened in the center on both sides. It wouldn't even lay flat on a table surface.

Anyways, I'm not going insider this time. Going to wait for official now. No more insider for me. I'm convinced that this pre-release software messes with battery so much it kills it quicker than normal.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The bulge happened in the center on both sides. It wouldn't even lay flat on a table surface.

Anyways, I'm not going insider this time. Going to wait for official now. No more insider for me. I'm convinced that this pre-release software messes with battery so much it kills it quicker than normal.

Thanks for the description; I obviously don't have *that* problem.

Yeah, I'm the same on 14393.5, this last cycle was pretty bad, if I had a secondary phone (I may take our old M8 and make it a test phone for RS2) set up, I'd probably consider running Insider builds again, but otherwise I'm going back to the (relative) safety of Release Preview.

My latest deal with 14393.5 was sooo bad that I actually started looking for a used S7, on eBay, just about had it (battery, bluetooth, WiFi, and much more, such a downturn from Threshold 494...). Hopefully when they roll the official AU, it'll have more things fixed...

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A 'bad' phone bulge would look like
bulging_battery_topview.jpg

If it looks like this it is damaged. You should immediately stop using it, handle it very carefully, and if in warranty get a replacement (well, if not in warranty too - just you'll have to pay).

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having about 20 or more reboots a day also on my lumia 950xl on 14393.5. Running firmware 01078.00053.16236.35006

I was having some before the firmware update about a week or two ago but now it seems ridiculous. Phone is becoming extremely frustrating.
Same symptom as above. Sometimes random reboots, but often when I touch the start button or try to unlock phone it goes black and unsresponsive until holding down the power button for 20 secs to reboot. Its random how long it will stay up. It seems like when its on the charging pad (at work while at desk, listenting to music) it will stay up a while. Its when its off its charger its bad, very bad. I will check the battery shortly... just checked and it looks fine. No obvious bulging.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My 950 XL started acting strangely last Thursday when the screen would freeze. I would do a soft reset and when the phone booted up a bunch of my apps were unavailable. After a second soft reboot, it would restart normally. Very odd.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yours more like a SD card issue, your apps was installed to SD card?

Yeah, I had this happen, a couple of my soft resets recently corrupted my SD card, and I had to reinstall everything. If you put your apps on an SD card, I'd recommend avoiding soft-resets, as much as possible.
My apps re-install also happened to take several hours, due to the WiFi bug (in another thread) that I encountered as well.
I'm doing shutdowns now instead, if I need to reboot, it seems to not have this issue. I'll save the soft-reset for things that actually hang the device.

I feel like up to 494 things were getting so stable and the phone was a great daily-driver, and now with 14393.5 (and 14393.67), it's taken a pretty huge downturn, almost to the point it's not functional enough for the daily-driver task...

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
For the past two weeks my 950XL will get super hot and then at around 50% it will keeping rebooting until the battery dies out!!! Yesterday I decided to use the WDRT and start from fresh.... A total waste of time.... The problem is still there and at this point I really Don't know what it could be... I'm out of the country until the end of the month so I can't even swing by the MS store... I'm not 100% but I think the battery seems slightly puffier but not having another one to compare I can't tell the difference... I'm on the regular production line.... Any help?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes