02-10-2017 12:56 PM
609 ... 45678 ...
tools
    -I'm sure this is a 'me not knowing how Win10m works' problem, but I cannot figure how to get back to active apps. So, for example, I'm browsing my movie library on Plex and decide I want to check the web or send a txt real quick, so I hit the WinHome button, launch the other app, do my thing, hit the home button again... now what? If I launch Plex again, I have to sign in again, and it puts me back on my Plex home screen and not where I was in my library. So is there a blade-like screen for active apps like iOS has, or can you literally only run one app at a time?!
    Press and hold the back arrow

-I set up Windows Hello and am not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's neat. On the other hand, I have to move my phone so close to my face in order for it to scan my eyes that I go cross eyed and cannot read the screen. The sweet spot for Hello to work seems to be 6" off of your nose, and that is unnaturally close for me.
    Same thing happens to me. I go cross-eyed getting it so close.

-Also, as a previous user mentioned, it's a bit cumbersome to even get into the phone when you've got a lock on it. I've got it set to not require a password for 5 minutes after use, yet for some reason when I hit the power button it does not bypass the lock screen so I still have to 'swipe up' to enter the phone. That's not really any different from how any other phone works, but Windows Hello still tries to identify me which makes me think my phone is locked, so then I go through the whole Windows Hello process which is shove the phone into my face so it can scan me... and the whole thing ends up taking way longer than it takes me to rifle off a 4-digit pin. Also, now, Windows Hello has disabled itself because of 'too many sign-in attempts'. I really wish there was just a fast way into the phone when it's still unlocked.

-On a similar subject, I cannot seem to find a setting for when the phone goes to sleep. It is way too fast by default. Sometimes I'll just stop and think for a few seconds, and my phone goes to sleep. Super annoying.
    Try the Settings - Lock Screen area, is that what you're after?
    11-19-2015 12:41 PM
    Windows Hello: I would have preferred a good fingerprint scanner to iris recognition. I wear glasses (very nearsighted), and I need to hold the phone closer to my face than I'd prefer to activate Windows Hello. That said, it does work well in the dark (but so do fingerprints).
    Thanks for including this. Someone I know said they couldn't get it to work with glasses, which would really be irksome. I'll be curious to see how it works for me. I wear progressive lenses and I'm wondering how well that will work.
    11-19-2015 12:51 PM
    -I'm sure this is a 'me not knowing how Win10m works' problem, but I cannot figure how to get back to active apps. So, for example, I'm browsing my movie library on Plex and decide I want to check the web or send a txt real quick, so I hit the WinHome button, launch the other app, do my thing, hit the home button again... now what? If I launch Plex again, I have to sign in again, and it puts me back on my Plex home screen and not where I was in my library. So is there a blade-like screen for active apps like iOS has, or can you literally only run one app at a time?!
    Press and long hold the back button. Should pop up a list of open apps that you can swipe left and right through.

Thanks for the thorough observations on the new toy!
    11-19-2015 12:54 PM
    I cannot wait to walk into the conference room, use Windows Hello to unlock my phone, and fire up continuum to do a presentation. All this time being clowned for having a Windows Phone is about to pay off. hah!
    They won't even notice as they'll all be on Snapchat on their phones.
    11-19-2015 12:57 PM
    Do you think I'd notice a difference between my iPhone 4s and this phone when I listen to ALAC audio on my Sony MBR-10RBT?
    Oh heck yeah.
    11-19-2015 01:01 PM
    Would you say the back is thin and flimsy as the old Samsung Focus? The Focus was an OK phone for its time but for today's standards is very cheap. I had a Focus and now I have a 920. Looking forward to the 950.
    11-19-2015 01:01 PM
    Press and hold the back arrow

Try the Settings - Lock Screen area, is that what you're after?
    YES! Thank you, hahaha. So obvious, both of them. I kept doing long-press on the Windows Home button thinking that would do it, but that brings you into 'one-hand mode'.

Also, no idea how I missed that in lock screen settings.
    zeke009 likes this.
    11-19-2015 01:03 PM
    Most definitely, if you have a good ear. If you don't know what to listen for, then you might not.
    Oh heck yeah.
    This makes me want this phone even more. Hopefully it comes into my MS store soon
    11-19-2015 01:04 PM
    Really? Source?
    ESS Selected by LG for High Resolution Audio in New V10 Smartphone
    Cosmyc likes this.
    11-19-2015 01:06 PM
    This makes me want this phone even more. Hopefully it comes into my MS store soon
    Your better off waiting for WM10 to hit RTM. It's current state on this phone is irritating and likely to crush my patience very soon. I'm tempted to get a SIM converter and move back to my 920 for a little while.
    11-19-2015 01:06 PM
    Your better off waiting for WM10 to hit RTM. It's current state on this phone is irritating and likely to crush my patience very soon. I'm tempted to get a SIM converter and move back to my 920 for a little while.
    RTM stands for "Release to Manufacturer" so technically, this is RTM. Then again, when was the last time a NEW OS on NEW hardware worked 100% at launch? Android is built up and added upon, as is IOS, so it's been awhile
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-19-2015 01:09 PM
    Is it not the full release on the 950?

I think I could used to bugs and things not working properly, I use an iPhone 4s after all.
    editguy likes this.
    11-19-2015 01:09 PM
    Is it not the full release on the 950?
    I think I could used to bugs and things not working properly, I use an iPhone 4s after all.
    Splitting hairs now. RTM is not the right term and I used it improperly.

RTM stands for "Release to Manufacturer" so technically, this is RTM. Then again, when was the last time a NEW OS on NEW hardware worked 100% at launch? Android is built up an added upon, as is IOS, so it's ea while
    True, but missing VVM and it becoming a nag screen, double tap to wake is missing, and other annoyances is a little much (alerts not making it to Band 1st Gen, live tiles not updating, app crashing). It feels less than half baked and will not help the reputation of Windows Mobile now that these flagships have been released.

I was so excited for this device and now I am severely disappointed. I do have a tolerance for bugs and defects, beta this... blah blah blah and so on, Insider Preview here and there... blah blah blah. All the testing I've participated in for various products/companies means little. How I feel with this device in my hand is what matters to me now and it is total disappointment.

I'll continue with the preview program in the hopes that the releases solve some of my issues and concerns. I am not ready to give up on the platform, so I am holding out hope that it stabilizes soon. I've been with it for far too long to give up.
    Last edited by zeke009; 11-19-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    11-19-2015 01:15 PM
    They're talking about the LG V10 (which looks downright amazing), not the Microsoft Lumia 950.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-19-2015 01:17 PM
    to see active apps - long press back buttons works on my L830 running 8.1
    11-19-2015 01:23 PM
    YES! Thank you, hahaha. So obvious, both of them. I kept doing long-press on the Windows Home button thinking that would do it, but that brings you into 'one-hand mode'.

Also, no idea how I missed that in lock screen settings.
    What made you choose a Windows Phone. Was it the OS or the phone (l950) itself? just curious.
    11-19-2015 01:28 PM

True, but missing VVM and it becoming a nag screen, double tap to wake is missing, and other annoyances is a little much (alerts not making it to Band 1st Gen, live tiles not updating, app crashing). It feels less than half baked and will not help the reputation of Windows Mobile now that these flagships have been released.

I was so excited for this device and now I am severely disappointed. I do have a tolerance for bugs and defects, beta this... blah blah blah and so on, Insider Preview here and there... blah blah blah. All the testing I've participated in for various products/companies means little. How I feel with this device in my hand is what matters to me now and it is total disappointment.

I'll continue with the preview program in the hopes that the releases solve some of my issues and concerns. I am not ready to give up on the platform, so I am holding out hope that it stabilizes soon. I've been with it for far too long to give up.
    VVM works fine on 10586. Use it daily here on my L830. In fact it the last WM10 build is excellent and I haven't found one issue yet.
    11-19-2015 01:36 PM
    ok, then it's a non issue :)

Not everyone seems to be having issues with VVM.
    As for the Band, I don't have one, so no comment.

And hey, if you are not happy with the current state, then it's fine. everything should begin to get smoother out over the next few days and weeks for major issues.

Then again, I am a veteran of the "At&t lumia 830 wait for full denim" campaign, so I have EXTREME patience :)
    RumoredNow, Joe Dubya and zeke009 like this.
    11-19-2015 01:45 PM
    What made you choose a Windows Phone. Was it the OS or the phone (l950) itself? just curious.
    It was more Windows10 and Microsoft's vision of continuity across devices. I use my PC's every day for both work and play. I run a server, I have an HTPC, a Dell laptop, a gaming rig... all Windows10. Yet my phone and my tablet completely live outside of that ecosystem. Back when I got the first iPhone, and the first iPad, Microsoft and its manufacturers didn't really have a decent alternative for me, so I didn't have much choice. I feel that now with Windows10, they've finally given me a compelling reason not only to buy their products instead of Apples, but to actively switch from one to the other on top of that.

I was always one foot out of the door with Apple, anyway, though. I never invested in iTunes or any of their ecosystem. Didn't even use iCloud to back up my photos. I bought and/or consumed all my media through third party sources, never used anything 'Apple'. I almost went Android this last round, but then I took a long hard look at what MS was doing before I made my decision. Android would have put me in the same position as iOS, having my mobile device be completely Alien from the machines that I use all day, every day.
    11-19-2015 01:53 PM
    Need more reports on battery life! If the battery life isn't good for 2 days with moderate usage, I'm running out of excuses to purchase this phone. Maybe the XL if it has better battery life...
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-19-2015 01:53 PM
    good reasons, same here!
    11-19-2015 02:07 PM
    VVM works fine on 10586. Use it daily here on my L830. In fact it the last WM10 build is excellent and I haven't found one issue yet.
    Not everyone seems to be having issues with VVM.
    That is what irritates me the most. VVM works on other devices and consistently for some 950 owners.

Then again, I am a veteran of the "At&t lumia 830 wait for full denim" campaign, so I have EXTREME patience :)
    You sir, are a very patient and tolerant man!
    ashram likes this.
    11-19-2015 02:07 PM
    please send your feedbacks on the phone through the feedback app (especially the double tap to wake)..I need MSFT to take note of them. i'm getting the 950 in a few days too and I NEED double tap to wake to be working/included. I've used that feature for so long that I literally will find it very difficult adjusting to clicking the physical power button.
    Also, how is windows hello (iris scanner) working for you. I've received mixed feedbacks from this forum on it. some say it's amazing, others complain that they have to bring the phone really close to their faces. but the general advice is that we set it up several times for it to work great.
    11-19-2015 02:14 PM
    Re: double tap to wake missing.

this kinda sucks. it went missing with the Insider builds a while back on my 810. I guess now they're giving up on it in favor of Windows Hello?? even my HTC One A9 has double tap for pete's sake.
    11-19-2015 02:15 PM
    Removable battery and expandable storage. I got a free spare battery, charging cradle, and 200GB MicroSD card included.
    Where'd you land this deal?
    11-19-2015 02:19 PM
609 ... 45678 ...