I tried calling the local MS Store to find out about when 950 would be available for pre order...

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Was I surprised. This gal told me they had already had a short pre-order time on both model phones and that I missed it by not getting into the store to order. I then asked how am I supposed to know when I visited the store a few weeks ago and they only has a 950XL and I wanted a 950. She said the only way was to call in every day and check to see if the phone had come back on pre-order. To cast further disparaging thoughts on MS the gal assured me that the unlocked phones would work on Verizon. I had her check with her manager and he agreed... Either the immediate world is wrong about this or MS doesn't really train anyone to work for them.

Has anyone here ever been notified by email about the phone? I have filled out all the email notifications for both units and have never heard from Microsoft.

Are they paying their help enough at Microsoft? Marketing seems to be a shambles. If you aren't a fan boy to begin with you're probably going to scoop up an Apple or an Android or someone who releases a phone and then waits for the lines to form and actually has the product. It seems Microsoft is awfully big to have this kind of release.

I've heard enough now to know I want an unlocked phone. At least one person is saying he cannot install Insider on the new AT&T 950 and with this being a new phone I sure don't want to be caught in that current waiting for AT&T to release a fix.

MG

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would say poor rep.
Although MS is already at fault not declaring dates / availability properly IMO.

Last edited:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I would say poo rep.
Although MS is already at fault not declaring dates / availability properly IMO.

realize, reps aren't always right...

also, it seems like despite shooting for a november launch, MS waited till the last possible second to finalize plans, probably since the OS wasn't "release ready" until a week or so ago. (my opinion)

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
when you said someone couldnt install "insider" - did you mean insider hub or windows insider?
insider hub isnt available per Gabe and his web post for this build...

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
She probably didn't know the SKU and thus didn't want to fill a preorder. Happened in one MSFT store not far from me. They were hesitant about me getting a preorder because they didn't know the SKU number.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This gal told me they had already had a short pre-order time on both model phones and that I missed it by not getting into the store to order. I then asked how am I supposed to know when I visited the store a few weeks ago and they only has a 950XL and I wanted a 950. She said the only way was to call in every day and check to see if the phone had come back on pre-order.
This has been the experience I've had on multiple calls to them >_<

One day before release of their game changer phone, you'd think they'd be somewhat organized. I hate to give Apple credit here, but if this were an iPhone, we would've had a stable release date the day the damn phone was announced, no staggered release garbage, and it wouldn't have been such an availability crapshoot.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You still try to call them / chat with their CSRs, they will tell you same !! Their CSRs dont know that their store site had only 950XL for Pre-Orders and not 950. They would still say its out of stock since pre-orders are completed for 950 !!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
After weeks of striking out, I finally spoke to someone who had useful solutions to offer.

I don't know why I didn't get his name. He was the friendliest, very empathetic about how unorganized the short preorder window was, and the first to actually allow me talk to someone who was physically inside my nearby Microsoft Store - I was then forwarded to another helpful dude who worked in the local store's inventory who informed me that the store had 40 Lumia 950's, and that he would have one held for me.

If nothing else goes awry, I'll be bonding with what - on paper - is the Windows Phone I've always wanted.

That was way too tough to find that one competent guy, but he made it all better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac