AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
  1. Visual Voicemail - others have it, other do not (I am one). I can trigger it and it prompts for a password/pin, but it never displays my voicemails and becomes a nag screen. I have reset the phone once already and that didn't help, do you think it is a SIM problem (new one with Lumia 950) or a phone problem (replace it)?

Resetting the phone and not restoring from a backup fixed the vvm issues for me.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if the unlocked 950 and/or 950 XL will do HD Voice on AT&T, or is that unique to the AT&T-branded 950?

Besides the faster camera, is there a perceptible performance difference in the OS and apps between the 950 and 1520 with both running W10M 10586?

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
what advice would you give to a Verizon user in an ATT deadzone that wants to stay on W10 Mobile?

If it's only your home that won't get AT&T reception, you can buy an AT&T MicroCell from them, their femtocell, which connects to your home internet and acts as a personal cell tower for you. I don't get an AT&T signal in my neighborhood, but have been using a MicroCell for years to have five bars throughout my house.

It costs $300, but they gave it to me gratis, without my asking even, as thanks for being a 10+ year customer; if you tell them you're a VZW customer considering a switch, maybe they'll comp you one to get you to change over.

Todd Pippin

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Obvious that the 950XL is utilizing liquid cooling but I'm seeing mixed information on the 950, does it or does it not utilize liquid cooling for the Snapdragon 808? Thanks Dan

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dan by chance do you know Microsoft has any payment options for there unlocked phones. I checked out the 950 at ATT and I really like and definitely an upgrade from my L928, trying my luck with some wishful thinking.

karinto

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
  1. A ton of text messages were backed up and auto-magically downloaded when I set up my Lumia 950, except for 11/30/2013 - 11/18/2015, those were all missing and still reside on my Lumia 920. Any ideas or tips? I guess I can live without them, but that sucks.

Have you tried setting the "download messages from" option in the messaging app settings?

Donald Simard

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Cases for me ship on Wed, so probably at least 10 days out for my follow up on that and yes, I expect it to make a difference.

Haven't tried audio yet, sorry. Super busy here ;)

are the cases stocked in US or is there a hefty shipping fee on top the cost? -- what does a Mozo case set you back delivered to your home?

joe_s

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Daniel for the AMA weekend stint.

Two (unrelated) questions:

1. Do live tiles for people groups update with notifications for members from the group on the L950? I've loaded the last three fast ring updates on my L920 daily driver, and while I get the rotating pictures on the people group tiles, I don't get the live tile updates when I receive communication from group members. Is this feature deprecated in W10M? I manage staff, client projects, and participate on two professional boards, across four email accounts. I depend on multiple people group live tile w/updates to keep up; the prospect of having to plow through notification center, no matter how improved in W10M, is a real motivator to stay with 8.1.

2. Does the continuum hardware have the capability to accept an input network connection? My organization is transitioning to a hosted virtual desktop model in early 2016. With a dedicated network connection (compared to WiFi) and a Windows universal app to run the HVD, it would present a scenario where a 950 or 950XL could approach an all-in-one device. Thoughts?

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
This was an honest question. At the Microsoft store, while looking at the 950, I could not find controls similar to what's in WP8.1. I'm beginning to suspect there are none, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I believe email encryption will be an important feature for most would-be enterprise users. There's a lot of great information in this thread, but nothing about S/MIME or email encryption. Does no one care about it...?

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey Dan, ended up picking up the 950 from At&t since my question earlier today and...

The ring in the back is not as bad looking as I thought at all. 950XL design remains better IMO, but the 950 is cool too and better than expected

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan

Thank you for answering my previous question, I would like to ask you two more Audio Focus & 1 GPS question

1) Does 950 & 950XL support bluetooth aptX ?

2) What are the type of audio format does 950 & 950XL support now? eg FLAC , etc ...

3) Which GPS satellite systems does 950 & 950XL support? GPS, GLONASS, BDS, SBAS, QZSS, Galileo ???

Cheers!

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Since this thread is about the 950, and I just picked up one and used it for a little, let me give you a tip, specially if you're moving from a 1520 or a similarly big phone:

Go to Settings > Display, and change the "size of text, apps..." to 350%... then go to Personalization > Start and put "Show More Tiles"... This will get it to the same number of tiles as the 1520

I was so pissed at first when I noticed I lost two columns of tiles, even when I put "Show More Tiles" when it was 400%. But this fixed it!! I hope it helps!

MUST READ!

Last edited:

DKD116

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dan, I got a 950 and you answered many questions I had.

I still haven't seen anything about what happened to Cortana's music search ability, where'd it go? It's a great feature, I love that it kept a history of searches.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dan, I got a 950 and you answered many questions I had.

I still haven't seen anything about what happened to Cortana's music search ability, where'd it go? It's a great feature, I love that it kept a history of searches.

hold down the search key or say "Hey Cortana" and you will see the music icon in the top right corner,

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Dan,

I like to see the difference in performance for apps on the L950 and on an external screen with continuum. Can you run the Peacekeeper benchmark in 3 different scenarios and post the results:

1. Without continuum, screen in landscape,
  2. With continuum connected with the dock,
  3. With continuum connected by Miracast.

Jaroodd

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
It's very fast for capturing photos. Just tap tap tap and keep taking images.

Hi
I have question about „Just tap tap tap” :). Could you describe how a taking photo procedure looks? Some updates ago (before Denim I think but not sure) the camera application worked that way: tap on the interesting object - anywhere on the screen > autofocus on it (flash if needed) > taking and saving photo without pressing a camera button/icon. Fast and perfect for me! Now it looks like a camera works in some kind of continuous autofocus mode with fixed AF point. It’s impossible to take a picture with one finger (with autofocus first of any point). How it looks on Windows 10 Mobile? Maybe you could make some detailed video about it?

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Is the "3g only" mode available in the network settings in the lumia 950. As I can see it has been removed in the last insider build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2