12-29-2015 12:22 PM
143 12345 ...
tools
    When you take it back and get a replacement, swap the SIM in the store and fire up the new phone - set it up, and don't restore a backup when you sign in. Make a test call and make sure it's working on your carrier before leaving the store.

I personally followed some advice I read in this forum about even factory resetting a brand new phone. Once you've confirmed the SIM is working and calls are operating normally, do the following:

Power the phone off
    Hold down the Volume Down button
    Power the phone on
    When you get an ! mark, release the Volume Down button
    Press Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down

That will do a factory reset on the phone - then set it back up, again, not restoring any backup. Now download the store apps and new OS update.
    RUCKUS_US and wing-a-ding like this.
    12-22-2015 01:18 PM
    Am a fanboy, as far as phones are concerned the Apple iPhone and iOS are the best. But I went out and bought a Windows 10 mobile device to get onboard with microsofts universal apps because I own a PC and XBoX. And I'm really digging it so far. I'm sorry if it's been buggy or a mess for you but I haven't had a problem with it at all. You may be thinking of android when speaking of a buggy mess my friend :)
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 12-22-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    KimRM likes this.
    12-22-2015 01:19 PM
    I received my 950 (AT&T) yesterday and noticed that when trying to update to .29, nothing would happen. I had to mess around with turning off the cell data and wifi, and only turning wifi back on to get the update working...after that it took about 45 minutes to complete.

It seemed like something in the phone doesn't handle having cellular data and wifi on at the same time very well - a problem similar to one that was in the Focus S (WP7.5). After the .29 update I have yet to have the same problem, but I'm still on the fence with this phone - I'll make my final decision in 2 weeks.
    12-22-2015 01:27 PM
    Give it a fair shot. I had a 950 for 5 days and went back to my iPhone and returned the 950, but I still had an itch for W10M so I went out and got a Lumia 640 and I'm actually using it for he time being. For 60$ it's a crazy good phone.
    12-22-2015 01:34 PM
    I received my 950 (AT&T) yesterday and noticed that when trying to update to .29, nothing would happen. I had to mess around with turning off the cell data and wifi, and only turning wifi back on to get the update working...after that it took about 45 minutes to complete.

It seemed like something in the phone doesn't handle having cellular data and wifi on at the same time very well - a problem similar to one that was in the Focus S (WP7.5). After the .29 update I have yet to have the same problem, but I'm still on the fence with this phone - I'll make my final decision in 2 weeks.
    You might have received a defective unit or an old sim card. If its the sim card, instead of the old one use the one that comes in the box. Also, an old sim card that's provisioned for android or IOS give issues. When I left apple to droid I found that out the hard way :-\

If it's a defective unit then all you need to do is return it and get a new one. I've had my att 950 and yes I've had a hiccup here and there but I had battery issues, that fixes it self with time btw (I would recommend battery saver mode, it gives me about 16 hours of battery life at moderate use).
    12-22-2015 01:41 PM
    I believe I may have located the issue, although it was quite a crazy solution to even think of that worked for me.

Instead of connecting to a router on your home network, try connecting to a public WiFi.

Here is the process that worked for me after having tried everything else on this site. I hope this helps.

1. Reboot device and shut down all actions in Action Center, except "Cellular Data"
    2. Open the WiFi in Action center and select a WiFi that is public. "Starbucks, TWCWiFi (If you have Time Warner Cable), or any other public WiFi.
    3. TEST the internet to ensure you have a stable connection.
    3. Navigate to "Settings" and select "Phone Update"
    4. Wait approximately 1 Hour and verify the progress.

If this does not work, I would agree to either contact Microsoft or return the device in exchange for a new one with the .29 updae already installed.

Good Luck

mEgAs
    12-22-2015 01:47 PM
    When you take it back and get a replacement, swap the SIM in the store and fire up the new phone - set it up, and don't restore a backup when you sign in. Make a test call and make sure it's working on your carrier before leaving the store.

I personally followed some advice I read in this forum about even factory resetting a brand new phone. Once you've confirmed the SIM is working and calls are operating normally, do the following:

Power the phone off
    Hold down the Volume Down button
    Power the phone on
    When you get an ! mark, release the Volume Down button
    Press Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down

That will do a factory reset on the phone - then set it back up, again, not restoring any backup. Now download the store apps and new OS update.
    Thanks for the advice
    12-22-2015 01:48 PM
    Might be faulty hardware. May want to exchange it. At least it's not catching fire like the iphones did a few generations back.
    anachrotech likes this.
    12-22-2015 02:12 PM
    Well, it's been 4hrs since the update process started and it's only now preparing to install.

Not sure why it would take this long to download an update. Even downloading the OS on the Windows Device Recovery Tool and re-installing the OS doesn't take half this long.

Not holding out hope that the process will succeed.
    12-22-2015 02:35 PM
    I agree with what Johnny said. Unless you like tinkering around with stuff, I gotta say, if you find yourself doing all these resets and recoveries, get rid of it and get a new one or try something different. It's a phone, a tool. It serves you, not the other way around.

Honestly, you shouldn't have to put this much work in getting *A BRAND NEW PHONE, OUT OF THE BOX* to operate correctly.

Factory resets and device recovery tools, on a brand new phone?
    Pssh, get outta' here with that noise.

For me, if it wasn't working right the first day of use, it would have been returned to the store the following day. I would try another unit, and if it keeps doing it, then choose something else.

You're a consumer, you don't owe Microsoft anything other than your money in exchange for their product.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-22-2015 03:06 PM
    [NOTE]
    Please stay on topic.
    Anymore unrelated chat here and I'll send warnings out.
    [/NOTE]
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-22-2015 03:29 PM
    Just like you, I read his thread and found out, all he had is potentially a defective sample, He made seems like no product line in the world has defective sample as such title his beef, "By Far The worst experience ever"I tell you what, return it, Go buy yourself an Android or iPhone that never ship ANY Defective Product. I bet that is what you were trying to hear, now you heard it. FYI: I have a gorgeous 950XL and by George, love it, If it had come defective, I would have taken it to the store for exchange without whining.
    12-22-2015 03:43 PM
    Sorry this has been a rough experience. Hopefully this last reinstall works for you. Otherwise, I agree return it and get another anything.
    Laura Knotek and wing-a-ding like this.
    12-22-2015 03:51 PM
    Just like you, I read his thread and found out, all he had is potentially a defective sample, He made seems like no product line in the world has defective sample as such title his beef, "By Far The worst experience ever"I tell you what, return it, Go buy yourself an Android or iPhone that never ship ANY Defective Product. I bet that is what you were trying to hear, now you heard it. FYI: I have a gorgeous 950XL and by George, love it, If it had come defective, I would have taken it to the store for exchange without whining.
    I don't think that is what OP was saying. He is actually looking for help to make his device work.
    920Walker and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-22-2015 03:52 PM
    i purchased Lumia 950 XL in Germany... i do first flash with WPRT, after that update to .29 and do hard reset... now my 950XL work like charm... no problems at all.. problem with back cover i solved very cheap: with TPU silicon case...
    920Walker and RumoredNow like this.
    12-22-2015 04:03 PM
    Sorry this has been a rough experience. Hopefully this last reinstall works for you. Otherwise, I agree return it and get another anything.
    Thanks cragor for your moral support in this thread.

Unfortunately this last install has once again failed with same error. Looks like I'll be heading back into town tomorrow for a replacement 950
    butarra likes this.
    12-22-2015 05:10 PM
    Thanks for all those who offered words of support and suggestions to help fix my issues with the 950.

Apologies to those who were upset by the title of this thread. Wasn't trashing the device, just the experience I was having with this one device I was sold.

Hopefully the store will have a replacement in stock and I can give the 950 another try.
    12-22-2015 05:19 PM
    Anyone know why the Windows Device Recovery Tool says I'm on latest OS when there is an update to .29 available on my device

And is there a way of getting the .29 update on Windows Device Recovery Tool to install on the device?
    Haven't gone through the entire thread yet, you could try navifirm. However I'm not sure if the Roms would be available that quickly. As it usually it takes about 1 to 3 weeks for it to populate (depending on phone model).

Also do you have an msd card installed?

If so, have you tried without it?

If you have, then I would suggest returning it for a replacement :). Good luck, hopefully the replacement unit doesn't give you the same bother.
    butarra likes this.
    12-22-2015 07:13 PM
    So, I had issues using the recovery tool on my WiFi too and it was either my Netgear nighthawk router or the 950. I was trying to use 5g wireless , I had to use 2.4 GHz wireless to download update and even then got that same error. It was frustrating.
    butarra likes this.
    12-22-2015 07:40 PM
    Wing-a-ding - When you get this sorted, please sign up for the Insider program? Could use more people who are willing to put a few minutes feedback in to help improve the platform if you run into future issues.
    12-22-2015 08:49 PM
    Just purchased Microsoft Lumia 950 (unlocked) in UK.

Current OS build on the device is 10.0.10586.0. Originally no updates were showing available until I conducted a factory reset.

.29 update is available but device unable to update. Download stuck on 0%. Have tried factory resetting phone several time to no avail. Is factory reset same as hard reset?

Got 0x800705b4 error once, when I left the device downloading for several hours. Checked internet but no one seems to know what generates this error code and how to resolve it. At least none that I have found.

Downloaded Windows Device Recovery Tool but it just shows that I have the latest OS on my Lumia and that this is the same as that on the server despite there being the .29 update showing available on my device.

Can't believe how buggy this OS is, especially coming from a major software company.

How is it that some people on this forum seem to have no issues updating the OS on their Lumia 950 and yet others are stuck on downloading it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Ok, this is how I solved the error issue and the inability to update on my Microsoft Lumia 950XL

(NB the Windows Device Recovery Tool couldn't recognize my device)

(0. Register your product to your Hotmail/ Outlook account first, to access the list of your apps later)

1. I did a HARD reset
    2. Plugged in wall charger and keep it plugged in for the duration of this process (i also recommend directing a small fan on the phone to dissipate heat during this process)
    3. Turned on the option to allow downloads via own data / it may work with Wifi as well
    4. Turn on data and or Wifi (if you have wifi)
    5. Deleted Pending Apps via the Windows store (as they are crap and potentially blocking the update)
    6. Press "update" to update the phone (if you press and nothing happens, reboot your phone)
    7. and WAIT, you may have to wait an hour before anything happens

Hopefully the above steps will work for you :)

NB. Update resolved some of my issues that came "out of the box" including, overheating and fast battery drain. I highly recommend the update, for the 950XL as the first thing you do once it comes out of the box before you add all your apps, contacts etc - AND THIS SHOULD BE A STICKER STUCK ON THE PHONE BY MICROSOFT DIRECTING PEOPLE TO UPDATE THE PHONE, WHICH WILL RESOLVE MANY QUERIES AND RESOLVE MANY ISSUES BEFORE WASTING PEOPLES TIME AND MONEY.
    Last edited by butarra; 12-22-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    12-22-2015 09:42 PM
    The problem is that you know it's a update out there and now you are trying to force your new phone to update. The average people don't got for updating there phone out the box if the phone doesn't presents a update. You creating your own problems for being update greedy
    taymur likes this.
    12-22-2015 09:53 PM
    -_-

Not getting an update immediately is not remotely on the level of a phone bricking itself or losing data... Both of which I've had happen to me on iOS on multiple occasions. Hyperbole more please.

Yes, it sucks, but you can either wait, try workarounds already provided or return the phone.
    12-22-2015 10:05 PM
    Connect your device to charger as update requires 40% up juice. When 10586.29 update stuck at 0%, just patience (At least it works for me, it takes more than half an hour to move forward).

I have no major issue with this build, battery life is fine.
    differently this, when you are at 0% that means its working.

you dont have to keep fiddling with it! how many times did you hard reset this poor thing? if you do not know how to use the device, do not complain.

Just let the device be for a while.

Well, it's been 4hrs since the update process started and it's only now preparing to install.

Not sure why it would take this long to download an update. Even downloading the OS on the Windows Device Recovery Tool and re-installing the OS doesn't take half this long.

Not holding out hope that the process will succeed.
    I am starting to think that the problem you are facing is with the internet connection, not your phone.

which country are you from? what type is your router? who is your ISP?
    Last edited by Guytronic; 12-23-2015 at 02:49 AM.
    12-23-2015 01:49 AM
    But it should be a painless experience:

Not all smartphone users are computer experts.
    butarra likes this.
    12-23-2015 04:47 AM
143 12345 ...