01-25-2017 07:10 PM
51 123
tools
    So I just got a 950 off eBay. The guy said it was new but I don't think so. The condition is like new but the factory wrap, screen cover, and charger bands were all missing. Anyway, the phone works and I love it, but it gets REALLY hot. Hot to the point when I use it and touch the screen, my finger tips get hot as well. Also I noticed hardcore battery drain. Is this normal or just my unit? This is an AT&T branded one too by the way
    08-08-2016 02:21 PM
    I'm running a sim-unlocked 950 on t-mobile and experience the hot phone issue routinely. I tried turning off almost everything running in the background, but it still gets hot.

Best I can figure is that it's struggling to reach the cell signal. If I turn the phone off and pull the battery for a minute or two (it cools off faster with battery out of case) and restart, it's good for a while.

There also seems to be some sort of "feedback loop" where the hotter the phone is, the more it heats up. For example, if I use it outside on a hot day, the phone will just go crazy hot on it's own.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-08-2016 03:14 PM
    You need to update your phone to latest OS build. It fixes the heating issue for sure!
    rollindice likes this.
    08-08-2016 03:19 PM
    Running 10586.494 and still gets hot (painfully)on a regular basis.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-08-2016 03:22 PM
    14393.5 fixed that heating problem to me. If u wait few days, you probably can update your phone over OTA, as non insiders still waiting Anniversary Update!
    Eustis99 likes this.
    08-08-2016 04:03 PM
    Yeah, it has been hot the whole time I have been setting it up. Hoping that the update that Tiiger88 is talking about will be coming tomorrow.
    08-08-2016 07:06 PM
    My guy is hot at all times really. Sometimes it's not so bad but others, it's like a touching a fireball. When it's charging, forget about it even using it until you unplug and wait awhile. I downloaded the new build with the slow ring so I guess I'll see what happens.
    libra89 and Tiiger88 like this.
    08-08-2016 10:07 PM
    Mine gets hot if I charge it when the battery's fully drained. Sometimes it gets warmy while using Tubecast. Speaking of which, my 950 appears to not be digging Tubecast at all as it buffers videos frequently, even at 360p. I have no such issues with myTube though.

But yeah, as far as the heating goes, that's all I've noticed so far.

EDIT: I'm on Redstone 1 by the way.
    08-09-2016 09:43 AM
    Try this: Turn off Back Up.
    08-10-2016 10:45 AM
    Well I got a new 950 from AT&T and this one also turns into a fire ball. So unfortunate....
    08-11-2016 09:13 PM
    Ooh your luck isn;t so good :( Hasn't run hot since setting up. I really hope that the update will cool it down for you.
    08-11-2016 10:01 PM
    Phone updated itself to 10586.545. We'll see if that changes anything. Here's hoping.
    08-12-2016 06:51 AM
    Phone updated itself to 10586.545. We'll see if that changes anything. Here's hoping.
    Haven't installed it yet. Let us know how it is, please

Sent from mTalk
    08-12-2016 06:55 AM
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching from my XL to the 950 because of the extreme heat my XL has when playing games. I'm guessing its the SD810 fault. But i'm a little affraid that the same thing happens. Do you already have feedback from the latest build?

thanks!
    08-12-2016 07:25 AM
    Lithium ion batteries are in the news a lot lately for exploding and burning. Do you think it could be a bad battery causing your issue? I would try another battery to test with.

Although the risk is small you certainly you don't want any unnecessary risk of injury.
    08-12-2016 12:12 PM
    I will try this. I can say from experience that batteries can be dangerous. I had a blackberry back in the day and I fell asleep with it on charge. I awoke to it on fire on my floor and also got electrocuted trying to unplug it.

Lithium ion batteries are in the news a lot lately for exploding and burning. Do you think it could be a bad battery causing your issue? I would try another battery to test with.

Although the risk is small you certainly you don't want any unnecessary risk of injury.
    08-12-2016 03:39 PM
    I installed this build yesterday. I have my guy charging now and it's still heating up like crazy

Haven't installed it yet. Let us know how it is, please

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    08-12-2016 03:43 PM
    I will try this. I can say from experience that batteries can be dangerous. I had a blackberry back in the day and I fell asleep with it on charge. I awoke to it on fire on my floor and also got electrocuted trying to unplug it.
    Yikes! And THAT was the bedside mode alarm. The ringtone name was noti-fire!

Please let us know how the battery swap works out.
    Eustis99 likes this.
    08-13-2016 01:12 PM
    You're not alone in this... at this point I've given up on my 950. It's always warm, burns through battery life even when sitting in my pocket 90-plus percent of the time, all while offering sub-par responsiveness. Today the start screen wouldn't load for some unknown reason, necessitating a restart -- just another example of the random failures that make this phone so frustrating. Beyond this, data and cell service is spotty and during phone calls others often complain about atrocious audio quality from me. It's really unfathomable how bad this device is, or at least how bad mine is. Also, BTW, I've tried resetting it and got it swapped for a refurbished model from AT&T but it doesn't matter. #WorstSmartphoneEver
    08-14-2016 10:22 PM
    Okay so I tested my 950 with another battery. It gave me the same issue of coarse. I ended up having to deal with mutants from AT&T and several scutches putting me through useless trouble shooting on the phone. They finally sent me a brand new one after I got a hold of somebody intelligent. This guy is great. It got hot at first which is to be expected but it quickly cooled off and hasn't heated up since. This is my third one too so third times a charm. I would suggest you's guys try and get new ones if that's at all possible. These things appear to be hit or miss.
    08-22-2016 08:31 PM
    Now running 14393.67 and phone still gets hot. It seems to happen mostly when the phone itself is in a "hot" environment. It's 95F outside right now and my phone is literally burning a hole in my pocket...
    Eustis99 likes this.
    08-23-2016 04:13 PM
    I've had my dual SIM unlocked 950 for about 3 weeks. The first week it was on build 10586.494 and updated to 10586.545. The second week is when the Anniversary Update officially launched and it has been up to date with the latest official build ever since.

Mine starts to heat up after playing a game or watch video for a about 5 to 10 minutes. I think the display is the culprit. It's been charging via USB for the past hour and it is currently cool to the touch with the Glance screen turned on.

The first day I had this phone, I also had a newly installed Qi charging phone mount in my car. I don't have much real estate in my car for a mount like this, so I tried suctioning it to the windshield. I set a destination in the maps app where my screen would not time out and placed the phone in the charging mount. after about 5 minutes, a warning popped up on the display stating that my phone was overheating. I think this was due to a combination of the display running and being placed in the direct sunlight on a hot day in an area where the air conditioner cannot reach. A few moments after the warning, the phone rebooted itself due to overheating.

I have since moved the phone mount down to where it is hanging from the air vent. With the A/C running and the vent blowing across the back of the Qi charger, I haven't had any more overheating incidents, but the phone still gets very hot to the touch if the display is running for too long.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-24-2016 03:23 PM
    I have the same issue and I believe the att version of the phone is the version that seems to have the heat issues.
    08-25-2016 09:47 AM
    I have the same issue and I believe the att version of the phone is the version that seems to have the heat issues.
    I don't think the carrier variant makes a difference. My previous post describes the heat issue occurring on an unlocked dual SIM version of the 950.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-25-2016 09:55 AM
    I don't think the carrier variant makes a difference. My previous post describes the heat issue occurring on an unlocked dual SIM version of the 950.
    Well my understanding is that the unlocked version got updates that address the issue some while the att version hasn't gotten the important firmware updates.
    08-26-2016 12:03 AM
51 123