Microsoft really needs to step up

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Very timely in light of the topic and well worth a read:

The Case for Wearable Devices | Mobile content from Windows IT Pro

Interesting article, although it fails to mention that Microsoft were certainly not the only major company working on wearable devices ten years ago and more.
I remain sceptical whether there will really be much demand for wearable devices (but I was also sceptical about the iPad, and I now own one and like it very much). I do think Microsoft need to adopt a vastly more flexible approach and create a platform that others can take and use in whatever devices they can dream up. It is a big mistake to believe that any one company has all the answers - including Microsoft. Google's approach with AOSP, which anyone can take and adopt however they like, allows others to innovate and test the market - and creates a route for Google to later offer offical Android versions on successful device types.

Last edited:

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
They had a smartphone too. Problem is, they couldn't put all of those things in a user-friendly package with a pretty bow on it and so they failed. It took them so long to learn, and as a result they missed the smartphone train even though they were there since the start, they missed the tablet train even though they released one in 2002, and they might do the same with the smartwatch.

Microsoft is not a good marketing company. That has hurt them badly in many areas. Apple is an amazing marketing machine, they have a way of convincing millions of people you can't live without their product. If MS could get their marketing together they'd be much better off.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is not a good marketing company. That has hurt them badly in many areas. Apple is an amazing marketing machine, they have a way of convincing millions of people you can't live without their product. If MS could get their marketing together they'd be much better off.

No Apple has that cult word of mouth thing. There is millions of people with iPhones who praise Apples products to anyone who does not have any. Plus humans have that natural instinct to want to fit in with others when all their friends and/or family has an apple product.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Agree with OP, MS really needs to step up their game. Sure if you live in the U.S some people might know about WP or love it. In other countries, I have never seen one person use WP (only me) and they kept asking me what that phone is. If I answered Windows Phone, they would have a confused look, but if I said Nokia they would understand then. WP's influence in other countries is not as strong, and they need to make a major big hit happen to garner the media's attention so Microsoft could get back in the game.

I really love Microsoft, but they're a bit slow in the things they do eh?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agree with OP, MS really needs to step up their game. Sure if you live in the U.S some people might know about WP or love it. In other countries, I have never seen one person use WP (only me) and they kept asking me what that phone is. If I answered Windows Phone, they would have a confused look, but if I said Nokia they would understand then. WP's influence in other countries is not as strong, and they need to make a major big hit happen to garner the media's attention so Microsoft could get back in the game.

I really love Microsoft, but they're a bit slow in the things they do eh?
Actually Windows Phone are a lot more popular in many countries other than the US, especially in Italy, UK and India.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
No Apple has that cult word of mouth thing. There is millions of people with iPhones who praise Apples products to anyone who does not have any. Plus humans have that natural instinct to want to fit in with others when all their friends and/or family has an apple product.

Because in the beginning Apple had a way of convincing you that you need this.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Because in the beginning Apple had a way of convincing you that you need this.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

They made smart phones more mass market so to use apple products does not need much convincing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon