Ecosystem isn't Windows Phone's Achilles heel, hardware is

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Because Microsoft is the OEM for the 3rd OS in the market. In less than a year WP will just be Windows. Windows and it's ecosystem are just as strong (or stronger) than Apple's and Androids.

I think you mean that Microsoft will have renamed their 2-4 ecosystems (WP, RT, Metro/PC and native Windows/win32) to all have the same name. A Win32 app will still not run on a Windows 10 phone, whatever name Microsoft choose to put on the box.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think you mean that Microsoft will have renamed their 2-4 ecosystems (WP, RT, Metro/PC and native Windows/win32) to all have the same name. A Win32 app will still not run on a Windows 10 phone, whatever name Microsoft choose to put on the box.

Umm, duh. They never will because they are different processor architectures. But thanks for stating the obvious.

And as for MS just slapping a name on the box, you are completely wrong. Windows 10 on all of these devices is going to share A LOT in common. This isn't just some marketing ploy by MS, it's a substantial difference in the future of the Windows OS and the technology underneath.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Umm, duh. They never will because they are different processor architectures. But thanks for stating the obvious.

Thanks for welcoming me back with this gem! Have you ever wondered why Android apps work on both ARM and x86? And why, if Microsoft really sort out their APIs, the same app WILL actually run on Windows Phone and Windows desktop?
You might want to read up on the concept of a virtual machine (of the Java or .net variety, not the "virtualisation" type).

And as for MS just slapping a name on the box, you are completely wrong. Windows 10 on all of these devices is going to share A LOT in common. This isn't just some marketing ploy by MS, it's a substantial difference in the future of the Windows OS and the technology underneath.

Well, they are finally sorting out the APIs I referred to above. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's really much new that's not already common across the various Windows 8 platforms.

ivan sarmiento

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Nah.. There's nothing wrong in WP nowadays.. If you think Hardware is wrong with WP, have you seen an actual performance comparison on 1520 and Note 4? No matter how huge RAM you put on an Android device, it'll just extend your time of using it until it lags.. You cant deny that.. Whilst 1520 stays as fluid as it is like it was fresh out of the box..

Those antutu scores doesn't even represent the whole Android experience..

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me back with this gem! Have you ever wondered why Android apps work on both ARM and x86? And why, if Microsoft really sort out their APIs, the same app WILL actually run on Windows Phone and Windows desktop?
You might want to read up on the concept of a virtual machine (of the Java or .net variety, not the "virtualisation" type).

Well, they are finally sorting out the APIs I referred to above. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's really much new that's not already common across the various Windows 8 platforms.

How you ever wondered why Windows Universal apps work on ARM and x86?

Because they are designed to and compiled for each architecture. Win32 apps are not. Most Win32 apps are years or even a decade old. They are written with much different APIs, and designed for ARM use. Some of them haven't even been updated for years.

I know what a f-ing Virtual Machine is. I use one every day when I'm coding/developing projects at work. And Microsoft has been using virtual machine technology to run apps built for previous OSes for a long time.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Nah.. There's nothing wrong in WP nowadays.. If you think Hardware is wrong with WP, have you seen an actual performance comparison on 1520 and Note 4?

I didn't claim anything about WP hardware being wrong.

No matter how huge RAM you put on an Android device, it'll just extend your time of using it until it lags.. You cant deny that.. Whilst 1520 stays as fluid as it is like it was fresh out of the box..

I'm not here to promote Android and my previous posts were not about performance. However, I will point out that my Moto G, which is 18 months old and has 1GB RAM, and has never been reset, does not lag.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^he wasn't talking about you. He was talking about previous posts from 6 months ago. This is what happens when you bring up dead threads from 6 months ago. :/

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Nah.. There's nothing wrong in WP nowadays.. If you think Hardware is wrong with WP, have you seen an actual performance comparison on 1520 and Note 4? No matter how huge RAM you put on an Android device, it'll just extend your time of using it until it lags.. You cant deny that.. Whilst 1520 stays as fluid as it is like it was fresh out of the box..

Yes there is plenty that is wrong with the hardware in Windows Phones.
Take a look at Nokia 430,435,532.
All these phones have crap fixed focused cameras all 2 megapixels of them and a useless 0.3 megapixels front camera. No flash either. CPU is still old and worn out Snapdragon 200 dual core. Screens are non IPS, non Gorilla Glass with WVGA resolution.
All this for 100 dollars(India) when in the Android camp 100 dollars buys you Quad Core 64 bit Snapdragon 410,5 or 8 Megapixels Backside illuminated autofocus cameras with flash and front facing 2 megapixels camera, 16 gb of internal storage, 4.7 inches of glorious IPS gorilla glass protected 720p HD display.
Now a customer compares these devices and immediately discards the Windows Phones based on its way inferior specs. So no matter how good or not the OS is, if Microsoft can't get the hardware right they have no chance. Clearly MS is doing too much wrong as you can easily tell by its less than 4% market share.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes there is plenty that is wrong with the hardware in Windows Phones.
Take a look at Nokia 430,435,532.
All these phones have crap fixed focused cameras all 2 megapixels of them and a useless 0.3 megapixels front camera. No flash either. CPU is still old and worn out Snapdragon 200 dual core. Screens are non IPS, non Gorilla Glass with WVGA resolution.
All this for 100 dollars(India) when in the Android camp 100 dollars buys you Quad Core 64 bit Snapdragon 410,5 or 8 Megapixels Backside illuminated autofocus cameras with flash and front facing 2 megapixels camera, 16 gb of internal storage, 4.7 inches of glorious IPS gorilla glass protected 720p HD display.
Now a customer compares these devices and immediately discards the Windows Phones based on its way inferior specs. So no matter how good or not the OS is, if Microsoft can't get the hardware right they have no chance. Clearly MS is doing too much wrong as you can easily tell by its less than 4% market share.

You have to sacrifice something. If you go for specs, build quality degrades. Cheap chinese and imdian phones can't come close to build quality of Nokia/Microsoft.
532 and 435 looks like you could kill a horse with it and nothing would happen. But, yeah, MSFT should pump app a hardware a little bit. Not a lot but a little bit.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
when in the Android camp 100 dollars buys you Quad Core 64 bit Snapdragon 410,5 or 8 Megapixels Backside illuminated autofocus cameras with flash and front facing 2 megapixels camera, 16 gb of internal storage, 4.7 inches of glorious IPS gorilla glass protected 720p HD display.

Sounds great. What make?

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Sounds great. What make?
Xiomi Redmi 2, Lenovo A6000,Huwaei Honor Holly, etc. Moto E 2nd gen is also good but it has qHD display, Snapdragon 200 quad core and 8gb memory with 5MP cam without flash.
Microsoft must atleast match these specs if not exceed it. Also since Lumia phones no longer carry the Nokia name and Nokia =trust, it's hard to convince indians to buy Microsoft phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes