11-30-2014 11:32 AM
52 123
tools
    Second rate treatment?

First, it's not shocking that they have released Cortana in the US first. The majority of Microsoft is US English speaking, after all. Second, yeah, sorry, it takes time for language translation, regionalization of services/recommendations, news, etc.

You act like they don't give a **** as opposed to 'this takes time' to do (and do it right). So they don't want to release a half-baked Cortana experience to the world due to not wanting to be judged on it.

Even Microsoft Stores, there are like a 100 across the US. Most people here do not have access to them either. Once again, they are testing markets. You know what would be worse? Opening thousands of stores only to have them close.

Microsoft is moving cautiously these days. I do not disagree with that policy. They are more interested in getting it right, then just releasing something out there. As a result, things take longer, but when you are in distant third, you cannot afford to make big mistakes.
    Okay, I didn't mean to imply that Microsoft doesn't give a **** at all, so maybe ' second rate treatment' came across a little harsher than I meant to.

As for Cortana, I don't expect her to spell Flemish by Christmas, or even French, but I do think many would prefer US-Cortana over no Cortana at all (and without needing to change phone settings)

I also know all too well that good translations take time, it's my future master degree in fact. But that doesn't explain why Xbox video in Flanders has plenty of Hollywood movies only with French audio for instance, rather than the normal English audio with subtitles. I'm sure others could give similar examples.

And just maybe, Microsoft is moving too cautiously, or at least insufficiently explaining why it is doing so.
    11-28-2014 02:53 PM
    Because the EU are protectionist regressives notoriously hostile to US tech companies. Honestly, I hope MS and Google give Europeans exactly what they want and stop supporting any innovation or investment in euro technology. Maybe voters over there will wake up.
    11-30-2014 11:32 AM
52 123