Why is Microsoft paying so much attention to the US?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Nah, not seattle, that's where every ****** and their mother sits in starbucks with their I(whatever) and pretends to work. However they are all unemployed hipsters. ha ha
Really? I spent a large portion of my life in Seattle and found it to be made up of good, hard working people like the vast majority of most cities in the world.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I see no reason why microsoft shouldn't, they are working with great effort to be the best at where it was originally started in the first place in the US.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
There's nothing wrong with a US company giving precedence to the US, but that doesn't mean it has to treat so many other countries as a mere afterthought, including other first world countries. That is the real problem. WP is more successful in most European countries than in the US despite receiving less attention from Microsoft. With a similar level of attention as in the US, market share would be even bigger, which would help gain attention from OEMs and developers, indirectly helping the US market as well, not to mention the additional revenue for Microsoft. They are hurting themselves the most by forgetting their international customers.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The big ha ha at the end was not enough? Starbucks originated from Seattle, and here yes all the lame hipsters are in Starbucks all day with their macbooks looking like they are writing the next major screen play.
Please clarify your point. Are you saying Microsoft isn't focused on the US because everyone in Seattle is in Starbucks being a hipster on their Macbooks writing movies? Makes no sense?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Last time I checked Europe does not consist of tiny third world islands, but most countries here still get second rate treatment by MS: Cortana, most additional Bing features, physical Microsoft stores, a language policy that works in multilingual countries and many other things, all missing.
I can only imagine how bad the situation must be in actual tiny third world island nations...
Second rate treatment?

First, it's not shocking that they have released Cortana in the US first. The majority of Microsoft is US English speaking, after all. Second, yeah, sorry, it takes time for language translation, regionalization of services/recommendations, news, etc.

You act like they don't give a **** as opposed to 'this takes time' to do (and do it right). So they don't want to release a half-baked Cortana experience to the world due to not wanting to be judged on it.

Even Microsoft Stores, there are like a 100 across the US. Most people here do not have access to them either. Once again, they are testing markets. You know what would be worse? Opening thousands of stores only to have them close.

Microsoft is moving cautiously these days. I do not disagree with that policy. They are more interested in getting it right, then just releasing something out there. As a result, things take longer, but when you are in distant third, you cannot afford to make big mistakes.

harshlumia520

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is giving importance to US when they have a bad reputation there and a very small amount of people use windows phone there. They could look at the rest of the world where they are considered a great software and hardware maker.
I was just saying that most of Microsoft's services like Bing rewards Xbox music Xbox video are not available outside US

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Second rate treatment?

First, it's not shocking that they have released Cortana in the US first. The majority of Microsoft is US English speaking, after all. Second, yeah, sorry, it takes time for language translation, regionalization of services/recommendations, news, etc.

You act like they don't give a **** as opposed to 'this takes time' to do (and do it right). So they don't want to release a half-baked Cortana experience to the world due to not wanting to be judged on it.

Even Microsoft Stores, there are like a 100 across the US. Most people here do not have access to them either. Once again, they are testing markets. You know what would be worse? Opening thousands of stores only to have them close.

Microsoft is moving cautiously these days. I do not disagree with that policy. They are more interested in getting it right, then just releasing something out there. As a result, things take longer, but when you are in distant third, you cannot afford to make big mistakes.
Okay, I didn't mean to imply that Microsoft doesn't give a **** at all, so maybe ' second rate treatment' came across a little harsher than I meant to.

As for Cortana, I don't expect her to spell Flemish by Christmas, or even French, but I do think many would prefer US-Cortana over no Cortana at all (and without needing to change phone settings)
I also know all too well that good translations take time, it's my future master degree in fact. But that doesn't explain why Xbox video in Flanders has plenty of Hollywood movies only with French audio for instance, rather than the normal English audio with subtitles. I'm sure others could give similar examples.

And just maybe, Microsoft is moving too cautiously, or at least insufficiently explaining why it is doing so.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Because the EU are protectionist regressives notoriously hostile to US tech companies. Honestly, I hope MS and Google give Europeans exactly what they want and stop supporting any innovation or investment in euro technology. Maybe voters over there will wake up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb