02-24-2015 12:30 PM
41 12
tools
    never heard of this iPhone incident, but huh?

He's laughed at the iPhone, but hey he signed this guys MacBook before.
    02-13-2015 04:18 PM
    According to Forbes, over 90k employees got a phone and a mixture of other goodies in 2012. Though I don't know if it was ever mandated that they have to use them. My guess is that MS did not mandate that employees use a WP.

All Microsoft Employees To Get New Surface Tablets, Windows 8 Phones and PCs - Forbes
    pwrof3, Laura Knotek and jmshub like this.
    02-13-2015 04:21 PM
    The answer is some do and some don't. There's no mandate that every employee must use WP. I have a friend that was using a Nexus but went back to a Windows Phone because believe it or not WP is actually a better business phone. But I see MSFT employees using the latest Apple phones or Galaxies.
    02-13-2015 08:39 PM
    Yes.
    02-13-2015 09:32 PM
    According to Forbes, over 90k employees got a phone and a mixture of other goodies in 2012. Though I don't know if it was ever mandated that they have to use them. My guess is that MS did not mandate that employees use a WP.

All Microsoft Employees To Get New Surface Tablets, Windows 8 Phones and PCs - Forbes
    This has got to be, the best answer to the thread. Nothing more could not be said.
    fairyjo likes this.
    02-13-2015 09:57 PM
    They might want to focus on the potential profits from mobile vs putting all their eggs in the software basket..Microsoft's earnings stars include Surface and Office 365, but Windows stumbles | PCWorld
    02-14-2015 01:30 AM
    They might want to focus on the potential profits from mobile vs putting all their eggs in the software basket..Microsoft's earnings stars include Surface and Office 365, but Windows stumbles | PCWorld
    Mobile rose because they waived the licensing fees. Windows and Licensing division dropped because Windows 10 is coming, Windows 8.1 has been made into a pariah and the aforementioned waiving of licensing fees on WP. $900mm profit on Mobile is not going to cut it.
    02-14-2015 01:49 PM
    Mobile rose because they waived the licensing fees. Windows and Licensing division dropped because Windows 10 is coming, Windows 8.1 has been made into a pariah and the aforementioned waiving of licensing fees on WP. $900mm profit on Mobile is not going to cut it.
    So where will Microsoft's profits come from when the commercial and consumer licensing fees dry up due to the competition from google, apple, and others? Apple seems to make a ton of money from mobile hardware. It might be time for Microsoft to be a little more serious about making money in this area or go the way of Blackberry and the dodo bird.
    02-14-2015 03:00 PM
    My 2 cents...
    I was just at the French Microsoft TechDays in Paris last week, there were lots of Microsoft employees around and I could see most of them using Windows Phones. Although at the daily plenaries, they also explained that CEO Satya Nadella is encouraging Microsoft employees to live in an internet only, mobile only world and to make as many Microsoft products compatible with other platforms which forces them to use other devices too.

PS: I had a great time at the MS TechDays last week and last year; if you've never been to a TechDays event and you work in IT, you really should consider this...
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-16-2015 07:05 AM
    Great topic! However, I don't think that MS management obligates its staff to use Windows phone.
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-18-2015 05:45 AM
    Former employee here.

Honestly, its all about personal preference. When I was hired, I had a Galaxy Note. No one said anything about it. They really don't think about it. They give you incentives to use the platform and devices, but in no way "enforce" it. If you get a company phone where the company pays for your mobile plan, chances are, you'll get a WP device. For your personal device that you choose to use for work, they support all of the platforms.

Believe it or not, employees really could care less what mobile phone you choose to use.
    former employee???? What happen there?????....where di you go????....I remember you from the debut of Cortana
    02-20-2015 12:32 PM
    Smartphones aren't so expensive that Microsoft employees couldn't have several. I'd bet many have several phones that they use.

Even those in Windows Phone development shouldn't be using only their phones. They should also be using Android and iOS. They should know exactly how their OS stacks up against the competition. They should know which features are better on Android and iOS.
    02-23-2015 09:47 AM
    Smartphones aren't so expensive that Microsoft employees couldn't have several. I'd bet many have several phones that they use.

Even those in Windows Phone development shouldn't be using only their phones. They should also be using Android and iOS. They should know exactly how their OS stacks up against the competition. They should know which features are better on Android and iOS.
    With all the cross-platform work Microsoft is doing with their core apps, I would think their employees are almost encouraged to use different phones. If anything, as developmental engineers.
    02-23-2015 11:16 AM
    what are you talking about? microsoft cloud is the biggest in the industry, surface is a billion dollar business, hololens, xbox etc, msft is well diverified.
    02-23-2015 11:50 PM
    xandros9, fatclue_98 and jmshub like this.
    02-24-2015 12:06 AM
    That actually, I remember, was the sentiment Google has towards iPhones too.
    HeyCori, jmshub and fairyjo like this.
    02-24-2015 12:30 PM
41 12