Hoping for a Surface phone, or more Lumia?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Recently there has been article after article after article from all sorts of tech sites speculating on the Flagship windows phones we may see in the coming months. So far I've seen mention of a Lumia 840 and 940, of course with speculated specs, but absolutely no mention of anything like a Surface phone.

So my question to you all is; which do you think could potentially make a bigger impact in the mobile world, new Lumia phones, or an all new Surface phone?

There have been some amazing concepts for flagships that could be released with Windows 10, and especially for a Surface phone. I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll see anything like this from Microsoft(we can hope), so from a realistic point of view, more Lumias seems far more likely.

I personally think that a completely new phone, separated from the Lumias, would be Microsoft's best bet to turn heads and pique peoples' interest. It seems like the Lumia name might carry associations of budget, low powered phones, whereas if there was to be a completely new brand/type of phone released, people might actually consider looking into it.

I think adding some Lumia phones to the ranks, but also accompanying them with a phone that can compete with/surpass the other titans in the mobile world would be a very, very smart move. I think Microsoft needs to do something beyond adding yet another oddly-named Lumia to the already large selection.

What do you all think? Also here's an article that I was talking about;
Microsoft Lumia 940 XL, 840, Windows 10 OS launch, smartphone sales: Weekly Roundup

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I definitely side with the idea that a Surface Phone would make a much bigger impact in the mobile world (though it has to be good of course) because unlike Lumina, Surface Phone would literally be something brand new...I previously said this in a different thread but once again.. I think that Lumia should be a brand that focuses on making great budget windows phones, while "Surface Phone" should be Microsoft's premium phone brand... Every year there should be a new Surface and Surface Pro released alongside a new Surface Phone, and Surface Phone Pro (6inch version of the Surface Phone)....Lumia and Surface Phone shouldn't cause confusion either as Microsoft should treat them differently.. Surface Phone and Lumia hold be seen as separate as Samsung and HTC..Lumia makes budget windows phones, and Surface Phones are Microsoft's premium windows phones..

Just my opinion on the matter

Autocorrect keeps changing Lumia to Lumina and it's annoying lol

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Having a Surface Phone to go with your Surface brand of tablets seems like the most logical thing ever... unless you're Microsoft. >_<

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having a Surface Phone to go with your Surface brand of tablets seems like the most logical thing ever... unless you're Microsoft. >_<

Not quite IMHO.
Surface wouldn't sound quite right when applied to a phone. Its great for tablets since it fits the form factor well. Phones? I'm not sold. A phablet perhaps.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not quite IMHO.
Surface wouldn't sound quite right when applied to a phone. Its great for tablets since it fits the form factor well. Phones? I'm not sold. A phablet perhaps.

Surface went from a table to a tablet, so I don't see why it couldn't also be a phone name.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
A "Surface Phone" would simply be a high end phablet phone that used to be the 1520.

I do not understand what is a big deal about a surface phone other than the surface brand name that would match your tablet?

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon