So, Oct. 6th event over. Best product launches by any company ever?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
From Hololens, to the new Lumias, to the Surface Pro 4 and SurfaceBook, the products are all great. It seems to me that MS has also finally found their mojo when it comes to presentations and announcements. The pacing, the excitement, the passion... all there. No awkward moments or presenters. Yes, all around very well done I think.

What's your take?

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I think they did a good job. It was a little over the top linguistically (magic, best ever, etc) BUT that's marketing and they did a good job on the presentation. I think the Surface Pro 4 looks fantastic both in the demo and on the spec sheet. I still don't think of it as a tablet, but it looks pretty great as a student/work device.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I was most excited about the Surface Book as I owned a MacBook Pro (14 inch) and a Surface Pro was too small for my use. This will bring me back if it is priced right. $1499 sounds steep and if that is not the top of the line Nvidia one then I might have to stay with my Macbook Pro. The phones were meh, no release date mentioned besides "November" while everything else is later this month, so I'm guessing Windows 10 Mobile is still not ready yet.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple, who thought they just caught up and came up with a Surface killer, may have just laid a brick. Yeah, I tried to find a nice way to say it.

MS was all like, "empower every person and organization on the planet to do more".
Apple's presentation was all like, "See? It's shiny! Now, shut up and give us your money!"

That's my takeaway.

Apple and Google think they are catching up with their clones of the Surface, when neither really truly compares with even the Surface Pro 3. Now, with the SurfaceBook, it isn't just the iPad in trouble, Microsoft is going after the MacBook and iPad Pro BOTH at the same time.

I can just see the sales people at the Microsoft Store: "Instead of buying a MacBook AND and iPad Pro to get things done, why not just buy the Surface Book? It does both, and blows both out of the water. Plus, you can get real productivity done now like Adobe Premier Pro, Lightroom, AutoCAD, and it can also play Gears of War and other games."

Meanwhile, at the Apple Store...
Customer: "How does the new MacBook and iPad Pro compare to the Surface Book?"
Sales: "Just look how shiny they are! The iPad has millions of apps."
Customer: "What can they do that the Surface Book can't?"
Sales: "Look! A Bear is right behind you!"
Customer turns to look, Sales person disappears. Customer leaves and buys a Surface Book.

Well, personally, I feel good about Microsoft's future after this event.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I think Apple, who thought they just caught up and came up with a Surface killer, may have just laid a brick. Yeah, I tried to find a nice way to say it.

MS was all like, "empower every person and organization on the planet to do more".
Apple's presentation was all like, "See? It's shiny! Now, shut up and give us your money!"

That's my takeaway.

Apple and Google think they are catching up with their clones of the Surface, when neither really truly compares with even the Surface Pro 3. Now, with the SurfaceBook, it isn't just the iPad in trouble, Microsoft is going after the MacBook and iPad Pro BOTH at the same time.

I can just see the sales people at the Microsoft Store: "Instead of buying a MacBook AND and iPad Pro to get things done, why not just buy the Surface Book? It does both, and blows both out of the water. Plus, you can get real productivity done now like Adobe Premier Pro, Lightroom, AutoCAD, and it can also play Gears of War and other games."

Customer turns to look, Sales person disappears. Customer leaves and buys a Surface Book.

lol if only consumers were that smart.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

That's my takeaway.

Apple is awesome though! Honestly they would still break sales records with out a presentation or a cheesy one. Ms has always talked up it os for as long as I can remember but never executed! So now soon we get a new facebook which will maybe put it on par with IOS and android,and a couple of other apps for win10 and that's it. I guess with all this talk about win10 will be so awesome I figured 10x more developers to build for windows but maybe not the case.

Lingeshwaran R

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft's event just blew my mind!!

liquid cooling in phones,16gb ram in a tablet, and mixed reality gaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is microsoft's answer to apple and google!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's event just blew my mind!!

And yet there are those who weren't impressed :/ I'm about to give up on these people -_- but I was impressed so haha

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

And yet there are those who weren't impressed :/ I'm about to give up on these people -_- but I was impressed so haha

I bet you if this was an Apple announcement, you'd hear the stampede of clapping all over the globe....

When Panos Panay announced the Surface book I literally fell off my chair laughing, probably because I was at the edge of my seat after hearing liquid cooling on a PHONE! and adaptive antennas.

The reason I found it funny is that some people I know actually prefer to run Windows on their Mac Book Pro as opposed to OSX... yet delightfully bash Microsoft at every conceivable opportunity. Hypocritical much? :grincry:

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

I was pretty blown away by the Surface Book, it looked fantastic! Surface Pro 4 is again a fantastic product.

I unfortunately missed the Lumia part of the presentation, however I will still be picking up the 950XL on launch, my 925 is struggling with Windows 10 mobile.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I was pretty blown away by the Surface Book, it looked fantastic! Surface Pro 4 is again a fantastic product.

I unfortunately missed the Lumia part of the presentation, however I will still be picking up the 950XL on launch, my 925 is struggling with Windows 10 mobile.

They whizzed through the phone section, probably because of the damn leaks lol...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I bet you if this was an Apple announcement, you'd hear the stampede of clapping all over the globe....

When Panos Panay announced the Surface book I literally fell off my chair laughing, probably because I was at the edge of my seat after hearing liquid cooling on a PHONE! and adaptive antennas.

The reason I found it funny is that some people I know actually prefer to run Windows on their Mac Book Pro as opposed to OSX... yet delightfully bash Microsoft at every conceivable opportunity. Hypocritical much? :grincry:

Tbh When he asked if we wanted to see another device my mind jumped to a surface phone, but what followed, was equally amazing and the fact that you can use it as a clipboard :/

I also agree with your other comment about going through the phones to quickly, but it's understandable. Panos did a great job tho

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Tbh When he asked if we wanted to see another device my mind jumped to a surface phone, but what followed, was equally amazing and the fact that you can use it as a clipboard :/

I also agree with your other comment about going through the phones to quickly, but it's understandable. Panos did a great job tho

I concur Panos did an amazing job, his enthusiasm for the products was beyond infectious.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

The Surface Book presentation was unbelievable, it's everything I'm looking for in a PC. Continuum completely matched my expectations, an I thought I had blown it's capabilities way out of proportion, nice job! The Band 2 looks far better than 1. Sleek stylish, quality look.
The Phones, wow! We knew most of it, the dual antennas sounds like a winner and the liquid cooling.
So tell me the radio specs, which US carriers is it compatible with. Band 12 for T-Mobile?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Brilliant, I was thinking...is that it? please dont let that be it (SP4 reveal) and then bomm bang bish bosh left hook duck and dive upercut!

Very impressive reveal and the software to push the hardware. Windows 10 has an amazing future, Apple cannot compete, what can they say...'hey look you can use desktop OS on your iPhone and at work, oh dang we only have 5% market share in the business world"

Apple have had thier time, they will continue to attract applites and consumers, the business world has been crying for a company to service thier needs, MS has just done that. A very bright future. At the end Satya reminded me a little of Steve Jobs in being a figurehead a leader offering direction. Apple have a second hand salesman.

MS - take my money!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills