Looks like Microsoft is preparing itself for the launch of much awaited surface phone . Microsoft has bought the domain name " Microsoft Surface Devices ? The most productive devices on the planet " and I clearly redirects to official surface website making it very clear what Microsoft is intended for. I tipped wincentral both on twitter and app for an article so that more and more win fans could share the joy but looks like the best way to do something is by doing it yourselves! How are you guys feeling about this?
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    02-01-2016 08:45 PM
    Or they bought it because they didn't want anyone else having it? Wouldn't be the first time.
    02-01-2016 08:46 PM
    Or they bought it because they didn't want anyone else having it? Wouldn't be the first time.
    Doesn't it confirms its presence itself?
    02-01-2016 09:09 PM
    With Microsoft you never know one way or the other.with them its like buying chewing gum. You never know how long the flavor is going to last.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-02-2016 12:33 AM
    Companies often buy related domain names on a speculative basis. Users will often just type the name of a website that sounds reasonable to them and a simple redirection takes them to where they want to be.

Speculative domain purchases also prevents cyber squatters from serving up adverts. I wouldn't assume that a domain name being bought is a concrete confirmation that a product is being developed.
    libra89, HeyCori and tgp like this.
    02-02-2016 01:58 AM
    Companies often buy related domain names on a speculative basis. Users will often just type the name of a website that sounds reasonable to them and a simple redirection takes them to where they want to be.

Speculative domain purchases also prevents cyber squatters from serving up adverts. I wouldn't assume that a domain name being bought is a concrete confirmation that a product is being developed.
    But can't be denied either....
    02-02-2016 11:14 AM
    Microsoft did the same thing with Xbox720, did that ever come around?
    02-02-2016 12:20 PM
    Microsoft did the same thing with Xbox720, did that ever come around?
    And by the same logic, we're also awaiting the never rumored SurfaceCar.com
    constantreader16 likes this.
    02-02-2016 12:36 PM
    And by the same logic, we're also awaiting the never rumored SurfaceCar.com
    Who knows!
    02-02-2016 08:42 PM

Indeed! According to who.is, the surfacephone.com domain was registered by Microsoft on May 30, 2007.

https://who.is/whois/surfacephone.com

It expires on May 30, 2016. It might be more revealing to see if Microsoft renews it!
    libra89 and jmshub like this.
    02-02-2016 09:37 PM
    Indeed! According to who.is, the surfacephone.com domain was registered by Microsoft on May 30, 2007.

https://who.is/whois/surfacephone.com

It expires on May 30, 2016. It might be more revealing to see if Microsoft renews it!
    I don't think the domain was purchased by Microsoft in 2007. It wasn't purchased by Microsoft until more recently. And it certainly didn't start forwarding to the Surface page until more recently than that.

It was purchased by Melbourne IT (https://www.melbourneit.com.au) in 2007. See the history here: https://who.is/domain-history/surfacephone.com

Melbourne likely sold the address to Mark Monitor (www.markmonitor.com), in 2015. Mark Monitor is a company that Microsoft likely works with to secure web domains for future projects & PR purposes.
    02-03-2016 07:51 AM
    well, let's give the OP some credit. Whether this means anything aside, I didn't know it existed...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-03-2016 08:40 PM
    Let's hope for incredible engineering like Hololens and Surface Book.
    02-04-2016 09:49 PM