03-07-2018 02:33 AM
28 12
tools
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...ter-this-year/

"Unlike Amazon and Google, Amazon and Microsoft have been on decent terms with each other recently. Last year, the two companies announced plans to allow their virtual assistants, Alexa and Cortana, to "talk" to each other on Windows 10 PCs. At CES, a number of Windows 10 PC manufacturers are announcing their own partnerships with Amazon to integrate Alexa into their devices, a separate initiative with the apparent goal of bringing full Alexa features to Windows 10 devices.

"Hands-free access to Alexa on PCs can be helpful to customers in many ways, like making it simple to interact with your smart home, get news or weather, set timers, and more," Steve Rabuchin, Vice President of Amazon's Alexa division, said in Acer's press release. "This is a big step toward making Alexa available wherever customers might need her."

Acer, Asus, and HP have all announced forthcoming PCs that integrate Alexa: select Acer Aspire, Spin, Switch and Swift notebooks and some Aspire all-in-one PCs; select Asus ZenBook and VivoBook laptops; and HP's new Pavilion Wave PC, which looks most like an Amazon Echo than any of the other devices. Some of the new devices will use Intel's Smart Sound Technology, an integrated audio DSP, for improved audio, voice, and speech interactions with Alexa."
    01-08-2018 01:02 PM
    I guess Cortana will be getting the axe soon...

I don't have any iOS/Apple so no Siri for me, please and thank you.

I won't Google Now. I put as few of my eggs into Google's basket as I can.

I use Cortana all the time on PC and Handset. If Microsoft is going to let it die off (like they do with so many things) and I have to move to something else I guess it would be Alexa. However, I wouldn't allow listening mode. Not sure I want Amazon sorting through my background sound. I hardly even use Hey Cortana anymore on PC (I just click the mic icon) and don't have it on my current Android Phone (listening, Cortana is my default assistant).

It really does seem that Microsoft is bound and determined to get rid of anything that is strictly consumer facing. I don't get it. And just when they had dedicated speakers trying to splash Cortana into the home. Harman Kardon must be peaved.
    01-10-2018 07:27 PM
    ^kinda like how they left HP and the Elite X3 hanging out to dry too. I was really hoping that Cortana would make it. Fingers are still crossed.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-10-2018 08:49 PM
    obviously consumer sensibilities and intuition for the consumer is lacking from Nadella and co... surface is probably an outlier as it is as traditional PCs are easy to understand.

terrible
    koenshaku likes this.
    01-15-2018 09:20 AM
    obviously consumer sensibilities and intuition for the consumer is lacking from Nadella and co... surface is probably an outlier as it is as traditional PCs are easy to understand.

terrible
    01-15-2018 09:20 AM
    WTH, MS loses ground again in the consumer market. Was so hoping to see a fridge with Windows 10 or Cortana by now, but noooo.
    01-15-2018 09:29 AM
    From the outside looking in, I would say it doesn't look good. History has shown that MS, with it's current direction, isn't too focused on consumer products. It's also hard for the average consumer to stand behind anything, when MS will say one thing and do something totally different.

Now, this isn't to say that it's all bad. This is, IMO, going to go one of two ways, because it doesn't make sense, otherwise. Either MS is tentatively going to be allowed to aquire Alexa for some ridiculous amount of money from Amazon, (unlikely) or MS is going to sell off Cortana to Amazon, which seems more likely. I would prefer Cortana to be able to gain more popularity and with that, more usefulness.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-15-2018 09:33 AM

I use Cortana all the time on PC and Handset. If Microsoft is going to let it die off (like they do with so many things) and I have to move to something else I guess it would be Alexa. However, I wouldn't allow listening mode. Not sure I want Amazon sorting through my background sound. I hardly even use Hey Cortana anymore on PC (I just click the mic icon) and don't have it on my current Android Phone (listening, Cortana is my default assistant).

It really does seem that Microsoft is bound and determined to get rid of anything that is strictly consumer facing. I don't get it. And just when they had dedicated speakers trying to splash Cortana into the home. Harman Kardon must be peaved.
    01-15-2018 10:27 AM
    Count Cortana as another failure under Nadella. He may not have started a lot of these projects but they became his responsibility when he took the job. Saddly, Microsoft is a sinking ship due to mismanagement.
    01-15-2018 10:38 AM
    This is one of those tech trends I don't get, like the Nintendo switch (old tablet tech running proprietary average games) and Alexa (the talking toilet roll), I'm not sure what is happening here, Cortana has lost visibility to the public but the AI is doing loads in the application, when Cortana hit it was really advanced. MS has let her slip from public consciousness whilst working on productivity in the back ground, but it is the only AI assistant that made sense to me its on phone pc and tablet whereas the runaway success Alexa was a standalone speaker!? so for me MS solution is simple A: enable Cortana on every Bluetooth enabled speaker with a microphone from pc, tablet or phone and make get it back into the public mind make some cool features and its job done. Otherwise Alexa is just going to be Cortana's user interface and that gives all the great work ms has done under the cover to Amazon, not sure that's a great market strategy guys.
    Old_Mil and RumoredNow like this.
    01-15-2018 10:38 AM
    It's just a matter of time before they minimize Cortona in some way, perhaps remove her from the OS integration and make her an optional feature.
    sniperboywc likes this.
    01-15-2018 11:25 AM
    Goodbye Cortana, it was nice knowing you but Alexa is so much more.
    01-15-2018 11:46 AM
    Well, it appears now that Cortana has lost the music, she'll be decoupled from search as well (what was that WC kept saying about Cortana won't go because she's indivisible from Bing? Ol' Nads was listening...). Since outside the US she can do little else but search anyway, that kinda leaves her twiddling her thumbs rather. This is what always happens when MS decides to 'focus' on anything. Get ready for a retrenching Cortana, it's time to lie back and think of England... ;-)
    theefman likes this.
    01-15-2018 12:20 PM
    Yeah already stripped from listening to music this doesn't surprise me. The previous rumors of them selling off the Xbox division wouldn't even sound so far fetched now. Windows 10 S is pretty much RT all over again and again they don't even have a professional Office running as a modern UI. My faith as a consumer is at an all time low i'm still wondering what to replace my Lumia 950 with..
    sniperboywc likes this.
    01-15-2018 01:00 PM
    What ever happened to the integration of Cortana/Alexa that was announced last year as coming by eoy? The functionality to Open Cortana on Alexa and reversed was supposed to be coming.
    01-15-2018 01:11 PM
    lol I bet if Elop got elected as CEO he would make another "burning oil platform" open letter
    j444lh likes this.
    01-15-2018 01:32 PM
    Cortana Who? Windows Phone what? Grove What? Is OneDrive next?
    sniperboywc likes this.
    01-15-2018 01:41 PM

The main thing with all voice assistants I experience is lack of region and language support. As long as those issues are not adressed none of the AI assistants are of any interest or value. I just don't use them.
    01-15-2018 02:24 PM
    MS never had the balls to stand by any of their products, recently they dumped Groove, before that Windows mobile. Oh yeah and with the loss of Groove, Cortana can't identify music anymore, so it's handycapped already. Nadella is just one big failure.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    01-15-2018 02:25 PM
    Now is probably a good time to jump to google. You don't wanna be the last one out of a burning house and the smoke is getting pretty @#$% thick in here...
    01-15-2018 02:43 PM
    Nadella has turned Microsoft into Corel.
    sniperboywc likes this.
    01-15-2018 05:39 PM

It's only bad news if Cortana is completely removed from Windows and with the changes coming to Cortana I doubt that will happen. If Alexa and Cortana can co-exist on the same system then that can only benefit users in the long run, especially if both assistants can tap into each others abilities.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-2018 02:34 AM
    For the simple fact that MS doesn't market Cortana AT ALL, just like other services/products which are now deceased, says a lot about Cortana's future IMO. It reeks of another MS throw-stuff-on-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks theory.
    01-16-2018 08:37 AM
    I agree with @neo158
    01-16-2018 11:31 AM
    Being a heavy Windows and (old Android... all my devices run 4.4) Android user and having just transition to Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 6.0.1 I've got to say there is only ONE company that, PARADOXICALLY, gets how to treat consumers with a LIGHT hand and it's Apple and Apple's current approach to iOS is also illustrative as to why Cortana failed!

Before you write me off as an iPhone fanboi follow my train of thought. I must confess I am at risk of becoming a fan of the iPhone because of Microsoft's and Google's approaches with Windows and Android, respectively :(.

Microsoft and Google are now all about click-bait advertising and click-bait notifications in their OS or apps AND YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The only solution is to not use the software at all and that's not a viable option. Their hand in 2018 is VERY HEAVY.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to customize Microsoft's and Google's software software while Apple has gone 180 degrees in the other direction.

I recently set up a 16 GB iPhone 6 for my partner and was shocked by how little bloatware and click-bait there was on iOS to begin with. The little click-bait that there was could be turned OFF COMPLETELY with a simple setting. And, you could REMOVE (i.e. truly delete, not just disable) all but SEVEN apps.

Yes, you read that right. Only SEVEN apps were left on the ENTIRE device (Phone, Message, Safari, Wallet, Settings, and two others (Photos and Camera?)). All of the other apps actually were DELETED.

iOS will now even apparently off-load rarely used apps to the cloud if your iPhone is running out of space and download them on an as-need basis.

Try that with a non-rooted Android phone and that would NEVER be possible. You'd be left with a gaggle of Google apps. If it weren't for the fact that I WANT the Samsung hardware I would've gotten myself an iPhone 6 (at nearly double the price of a used Galaxy S5). Now that I've seen how horrible modern Android is (v. 6... imagine 7 is even worse) Android has become compared to 4.4 I really appreciate what Apple is doing with iOS.

Google has the advantage of being an "incumbent" and is in control of Android so they get to pull their heavy handed click-bait news and omni-present search in "stock" Android. They can get away with it because consumers don't have much of a choice.

On Windows I use the Windows key to search my computer for apps and documents ONLY--I DO NOT WANT TO SEARCH THE WEB, EVER FROM WINDOWS KEY. That's why I have a browser with a search bar.

The only way to avoid web searches was to completely avoid Cortana and not do certain things which is what I used to do. And, now that I've succeeded at hiding Cortana from Windows 10 by executing all sorts of regedit kung fu I am a MUCH happier Windows 10 user.

To a substantial extent that's why Cortana never took off. She was FORCED on you in Windows if you wanted even some fairly basic functionality. This left a lot of people soured on her. She also isn't exactly easy to use on a desktop and she had hardly any presence on mobile where devices have good microphone--a prerequisite for using a VOICE activated assistant.

Cortana's failure is emblematic of Microsoft's inability to get consumers. And, Apple's latest iOS is emblematic of what Apple is doing right in the face of Google's and Microsoft's increasingly heavy hands.

Samsung Android 6 is so full of UNREMOVABLE bloatware--including Google's--it's frustrating. Even stock Google is full of an extremely heavy hand. If you want, for example, to use the "stock" Android launcher Google Now Launcher you are FORCED to accept click-bait news and you cannot ever remove the Google search widget. The basics of the Google Now Launcher I find the best (icons, animations, light-weight, even the feed cards), but, I like my home clean to be simple and clean and the Google search bar is anything but simple and clean and the click-bait news is ALWAYS present in the feed and CANNOT be turned off (c'mon Google, learn from Apple).

Anyway, long story short, Cortana is dead because Microsoft abandoned mobile and because Microsoft doesn't understand that desktop users used to freedom are not inclined to accept heavy hands. (we'll see if Windows 10 S fails as miserably as everyone seems to expect it to).
    01-18-2018 06:30 AM
28 12