11-16-2013 03:42 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    Hi guys! Not sure where to ask about powercfg question but since this is on battery, I might as well ask it here.

so, last week (I bought mine on last Tuesday) when I use powercfg battery report to check my usage, the report showed all the detail without any problem. But lately when I use powercfg report, it didn't show any information from usage history section to the estimated usage section. Is there anything wrong with it? It's bugging me.
    11-13-2013 04:50 PM
    I have seen an improvement with battery life with the latest updates. Anybody?
    11-15-2013 08:12 PM
    Noob question, but how do you do a powercfg report? I assumed you type that in the run command box but when I do nothing happens.
    11-16-2013 07:28 AM
    I have seen an improvement with battery life with the latest updates. Anybody?
    I do too. Though I am almost afraid to say so. Who knows what the next update will bring. In fact, I will go to the extent of saying that as things currently stand - touch wood - the Surface 2 is at its optimized best. The fluidity of the screen is very good. The battery is as advertised. The WiFi works well. Apps open and close quickly. And, the keyboard is functioning smoothly.
    11-16-2013 07:50 AM
    Noob question, but how do you do a powercfg report? I assumed you type that in the run command box but when I do nothing happens.
    Hey there, yep that's right. You have to type "powercfg /batteryreport". After that your Surface should create a html file showing all the Information you need about your battery. (it is saved here: C:\Users\Username\battery-report.html)

@all:

So guys, I wanted to test my Surface (bought a few days ago) battery today, so I let it play some documentaries on YouTube all the day. I startet at 07:11am with 100% and ended my "experiment" at 04:28pm with 4% charge. During that period of time the battery charge went down by 10% per hour. So it was quite nice to see that after 9h 20m it had used 96% of the charge... I think that's quite ok for a tablet... I watched all of the YouTube videos with my wifi-connection. So wifi was on... Display was set at ~25% brightness (that's what I normally use)

I even scanned some documents (my scanner was powered by the usb connection from my Surface entirely)...

Here is a screenshot with some of the data from today (cycle count = 5 btw. maximum charge: 30mWh)
    edit: as one can see on the graph the discharge speed was quite stabile. As I mentioned it was about 10%/hour

battery1.jpg
    hcrick and rav16 like this.
    11-16-2013 10:12 AM
    That's some pretty good battery life but man I couldn't live with my screen at 25% brightness, lol.

Also, was bluetooth on or off?
    11-16-2013 11:13 AM
    Haha :D All of my friends ask me "dude, are you high all the time or why is your screen so dark?" every time they see me working :D Sometimes I like it quite bright too, but when I'm at home and just surfing the internet/watching videos and so on...I like it "dimmed" a bit... I guess with the brightness set a bit higher the battery would not last 9+ hours...

The next time I have some time and/or am going to work with my surface during the day, I'll bump it up a bit (brightness) and give more data about the battery charge :)

bluetooth was off all the time.
    11-16-2013 11:25 AM
    I used to keep my brightness at 100%. Then realized I didn't need it that high so I switched to 85%. Now I'm using the auto brightness feature which I thought I would dislike but I've become very accustomed too. Not sure what percentage it dips down to when the screen dims.
    Gergolos likes this.
    11-16-2013 11:35 AM
    Wow! That's crazy! What are the lighting conditions on your office/room (where you use your surface)? I would say it is quite "dimmed" in office so I guess that could explain the extreme difference :D But still, 100% would be waaay too bright for me :D I also love reading on my kindle without screenlight actually... so I guess I'm a vampire of some kind or something like that :D
    11-16-2013 11:39 AM
    It's pretty dim. Usually one light on and no direct sunlight (especially since it's Fall). It's probably easier to get accustomed to a darker screen when slowly dimmed over time.
    11-16-2013 03:15 PM
    Interesting! I have to try it sometime. 100%... I'm coming! :D
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-16-2013 03:42 PM
86 ... 234