Battery drain while in sleep mode with Windows 10

lookingforward

May 20, 2015
Visit site
With Windows 8.1, I was able to put the Surface 3 to sleep at night and wake it up in the morning with almost the same battery level. Now with Windows 10, the Surface 3 is experiencing significant battery drain overnight. I put it to sleep last night with 54.5% battery charge. Now this morning, I just woke the S3 up and the battery charge is 33.4%. Are you guys experiencing something similar running Windows 10? I hope there is a fix soon.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There are a few threads on this. Try turning Airplane mode on before putting it to sleep next time. See what effect that has.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have found the same issue. I used a command line program called sleep study to create a report that showed the wireless adapter is the culprit. There is a setting to disable the wireless adapter while in sleep mode, but this doesn't seem to actually turn off the adapter.

I haven't tried the airplane mode suggestion, but it would be interesting to see if it helped.

Ultimately, the solution will have to be an updated driver. It's disappointing that Microsoft didn't have drivers set for their own device when they pushed out their own OS upgrade.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
With Windows 8.1, I was able to put the Surface 3 to sleep at night and wake it up in the morning with almost the same battery level. Now with Windows 10, the Surface 3 is experiencing significant battery drain overnight. I put it to sleep last night with 54.5% battery charge. Now this morning, I just woke the S3 up and the battery charge is 33.4%. Are you guys experiencing something similar running Windows 10? I hope there is a fix soon.

You're lucky, that's small from what I've experienced. I have seen it go as high as 10~12% per hour, which is a greater discharge rate than actually having it turned on an used.

As for the drivers, Microsoft is at the mercy of Intel. But they need to be putting some heat on Intel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes