Proper way to shutdown Surface Book

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday is used my Surface Book at work using battery. I shutdown and typically I shutdown using the shutdown from the menu right clicking on the start button and I howl the power button down until the key lights on the keyboard turn off. Well that has worked fine but last night I pulled my SB out of my bag and it was real real hot. I hit the power button and it wouldn't turn on. I plugged in the power and connected and then the SB booted and soon was cool. I googled the proper way top shut down a SB. The responces said most people said they just put it to sleep and don't shut down.

Checking the SB now it's cool after being in the same bag.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The proper way is to just use the start menu's shutdown. Full stop. Why would you continue to hold the power button down if its already shutting down?

A more improper way is holding the power button. I don't anticipate issues if done occasionally but it kills the computer entirely and is meant for serious crashes or it just hangs.

I would stop holding the power button simply because its proper, and unless your thing happens again I wouldn't worry too much, I would sooner expect it to be a one-time or otherwise rare glitch or something.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
You should be able to select shutdown from the menu.
Holding the power button for a long time is more of a 'last resort' if something is stuck.

I set my power setting so that when on battery power, when I tap the power button, it does a full shutdown, not just sleep. The sleep feature appears to have a glitch and consumes more power than just leaving it turned on.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well because when i tap the keys the backlights come on. If i hold the power button down the lights turn of and don't come on when i hit them again.

Foreverup

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Well because when i tap the keys the backlights come on. If i hold the power button down the lights turn of and don't come on when i hit them again.

The keyboard will still be lite after shutdown is normal if wait a couple seconds and it will turn off. The surface book and my last laptop did the same thing. If you close the lid to fast sometimes it doesn't turn off and will go to sleep if that is the setting for closing the lid.

I would change the closing in power option to something other than sleep. And like every else said holding the power button is the last resort

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not having issues now as I changed the power option to shut down. It doesn't matter the thing still boots in less than 5 seconds (it's amazing). I just had the problme one time where it didn't shut down and i pulled it out of my bag and it was hot at heck. It cooled fast as soon as I plugged it in.

Mikegriffin84

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
By holding the power button I will bet its just going to sleep... currently there are issues with sleep mode where the computer doesn't go all the way to sleep. Go to your power settings and change the function of the power button from sleep to hibernate after that you can just tap the power button and it will go to hibernate not wasting any battery at all and it wont get hot.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
By holding the power button I will bet its just going to sleep... currently there are issues with sleep mode where the computer doesn't go all the way to sleep. Go to your power settings and change the function of the power button from sleep to hibernate after that you can just tap the power button and it will go to hibernate not wasting any battery at all and it wont get hot.

After I made that change, every time I came back out of hibernation my "system and compressed memory" process would run at 30% until a reboot. So I'm back to normal sleep unless I know it will be off for a while then I do a shutdown. I really hope Microsoft figures this stuff out soon.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I know what you are talking about, i have the same issues, but not on a SB.

if i just select shutdown from the start menu, the laptop will go into the process of shutting down, but it does not finish the process, and even after hours if i click the keyboard, the lights will turn on, but the laptop does not boot into windows or anything.

now in order to shut down my laptop, i click restart, as soon as the laptop starts to boot up, i click the power button and it shuts it down.

i do not know what is this bug exactly, but i have it also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon