Yellow Triangle Warning Icon On C: Drive, what do I do?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Yellow Triangle Warning Icon On C: Drive

Last week, my surface book took an update entitled Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124263). Since that time, I noticed a yellow warning icon displayed on my c: in file explorer. I can't seem to find out any information about it.

The icon looks like this:

yellow warning icon.PNG

My already unreliable surface book has been much more unstable since the update. This is the second Surface Book for me, since my first one was swapped out. I still have all the old problems but now external monitors fail to work and it often crashes on waking up from sleep, requiring a hard restart.

I am trying to figure out if any of this is fixable, but I suspect that the icon means that there's a problem with my Windows 10 installation. I don't see a problem in device manager, so I think it's not a hardware thing, but maybe software. I have searched for information online and on the Microsoft site but I can't find any information on what this icon is supposed to mean (although I am pretty sure it's not just that the drive is unencrypted).

Has anyone else seen this on their Surface Books? I really want this purchase to work out, but I am feeling like I should have returned this Book weeks ago and gotten something else instead.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Yellow Triangle Warning Icon On C: Drive

Check event logs. Also try hovering over the mouse and see maybe it gives you a pop up information on it? I would suspect you will find your answer in event logs

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Hovering does nothing, unfortunately.

The event logs are filled with errors, but that's been my experience with both my original and replacement surface books. There are disk errors, but they appear to be with an external drive.

rdockrey

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

It has nothing to do with Bitlocker. Do a Google search for Windows 10 SMART reporting and it will tell you how to run it in Windows 10 to see the health of the drive. You used to could turn it off in the older Bios' but not with the newer UEFI bios. Now its built into Windows and its hard to get to.

rdockrey

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't have Bitlocker enabled on any of my Windows machines and I don't get a yellow exclamation mark on my drive.

Bossy573

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

I don't have Bitlocker enabled on any of my Windows machines and I don't get a yellow exclamation mark on my drive.

The symbol is removed if you enable or remove Bitlocker. I had it and removed it completely. Machine is quicker without it.

roboJeff

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the yellow bang on a brand new Surface Book with Windows 10 pro. I tried to activate Bitlocker, but my drive is already encrypted, so it won't let me save anywhere. So I can't activate it.

It doesn't appear in programs and features either, so I can't remove it.

Any ideas?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
roboJeff, Bitlocker is usually enabled by default on Surface Books out of the box. Did you ever disable it? Did you ever reset your Surface Book & wipe the drive? It sounds like somehow there's a mismatch between the TPM chip and Bitlocker in your case.

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this yellow exclamation mark on the C drive of my Surface Pro 4, after performing a Reset.
I did not set up a login password for my local account, as I was performing a lot of installations, so left it like that.
As soon as I set up a login password, the yellow mark disappeared.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah the yellow mark means there's no key set, so bitlocker is enabled, but it won't encrypt without a key. So you can login to have your key go to your onedrive or you can setup a key to a usb disk or something.

CorbetJason

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site

Last week, my surface book took an update entitled Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124263). Since that time, I noticed a yellow warning icon displayed on my c: in file explorer. I can't seem to find out any information about it.

The icon looks like this:

View attachment 120871

My already unreliable surface book has been much more unstable since the update. This is the second Surface Book for me, since my first one was swapped out. I still have all the old problems but now external monitors fail to work and it often crashes on waking up from sleep, requiring a hard restart.

I am trying to figure out if any of this is fixable, but I suspect that the icon means that there's a problem with my Windows 10 installation. I don't see a problem in device manager, so I think it's not a hardware thing, but maybe software. I have searched for information online and on the Microsoft site but I can't find any information on what this icon is supposed to mean (although I am pretty sure it's not just that the drive is unencrypted).

Has anyone else seen this on their Surface Books? I really want this purchase to work out, but I am feeling like I should have returned this Book weeks ago and gotten something else instead.

i have this on my windows 10 pro ,it simply mean that your machine(OS) is encrypted ,windows 10 start to add encrypted Feature by default to all they're new Anniversary Editions,
read more about this here:
https://mspoweruser.com/new-windows-10-pcs-trusted-platform-mode-2-0-enabled-default-restone/

Now how to get rid of it ?! simple
in windows 10(mine is pro education) head toward settings Then System from there Go down by the list till you see the About section,,(it gonna show you the windows 10 logo) ,,in that window scroll down to Device Encryption press Turn off.
am not sure if those steeps are the same with other windows 10 distributions !

ChaitanyaSrinivasa

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
It is displaying following symbols on the C,D and E drives.
It's a Drive Encryption (Bit Locker) warning message. I'm also using Windows 10 Pro.
Kindly help on this to remove this notification on the drives.

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2

Deep_Singh_CO

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
It is displaying following symbols on the C,D and E drives.
It's a Drive Encryption (Bit Locker) warning message. I'm also using Windows 10 Pro.
Kindly help on this to remove this notification on the drives.

Are you still having this issue?
I was able to figure it out because it just happened to one of your systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon