[Help please] Display issues!!!

bluefoam

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Got my Surface Book at the end of last week... Have been getting bugs throughout the weekend. I put in a few solid hours this morning trying to sort things out... Windows is up to date. After relentless attempts, the doc is now up to date. I'm hoping it's on the road to smooth operation...

The one thing that is really bothering me is that I can't get the display drivers to work... It is using generic drivers... but my resolution is set very low & it's causing me allot of problems...

I have downloaded the drivers, installed them numerous times... but it's still not working. I've unplugged the monitor from the doc and connected straight to the Book, still not working.

The display is a Samsung 28" U28E590D, the monitor is connected from HDMI, to the Surface HDMI-Mini Display Port Dongle, to the Dock, to the Surface Book...

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Got my Surface Book at the end of last week... Have been getting bugs throughout the weekend. I put in a few solid hours this morning trying to sort things out... Windows is up to date. After relentless attempts, the doc is now up to date. I'm hoping it's on the road to smooth operation...

The one thing that is really bothering me is that I can't get the display drivers to work... It is using generic drivers... but my resolution is set very low & it's causing me allot of problems...

I have downloaded the drivers, installed them numerous times... but it's still not working. I've unplugged the monitor from the doc and connected straight to the Book, still not working.

The display is a Samsung 28" U28E590D, the monitor is connected from HDMI, to the Surface HDMI-Mini Display Port Dongle, to the Dock, to the Surface Book...

Having had similar issues I hope I can add something to save you a bit of time searching for answers and just get the hardware to work (as it should from the beginning... hehe). I have 2 of those Samsung monitors plugged in to my surface doc. Latest firmware for doc: 2.1.15.0; I actually had to uninstall a previous version of the updater tool to get the latest firmware *roll eyes* Maybe you need to check that, but look below because I saw another potential issue in your post.

FWIW, my system looks like it's using the Intel drivers too, but it's not. I've accessed the GeForce utilities in games. Someone else may be able to explain why this appears this way, or how to make it look clearer. I personally wasted too much time trying to figure it out (thinking something was set up wrong, when it wasn't).

Here's my current configuration:

The main monitor (the SB) is running at 3,000 x 2,000.

My first 4k monitor is running at 4k using a mini-dp-to-DP cable. I got the cable from Cable Matters.

The 2nd is just running at HD using a mini-dp-to-HDMI cable. This is where I think your problem lies: I used my old surface mini-dp-to-HDMI dongle and had trouble. Now I just use a Belkin mini-dp-to-HDMI cable which works great (think I got it at Best Buy).

According to the MS Doc Troubleshooter article, the Samsung monitor is supported, the cables to use can be found at Cable Matters and are supported, and I'm pretty sure the current mini-dp-to-HDMI is not the same as the first one released. A single cable instead of a dongle made all the difference in the world for me.

bluefoam

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks EuroKnuter, I got a Mini DP to DP cable and all is now good with the world. The external monitor is working at a high resolution and most of my issues are sorted.

I'm actually warming to the device and have found the stylus/flipped screen setup quite useful when marking up drawings and commenting on images...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS