Surface Duo Battery Issues

Anish Velupillai

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I got the surface duo as soon as it was released. I was really enjoying it for the improved productivity with two screens.

But since yesterday my duo shows 100% charge but turns off within 5 mins of usage.. after 15 mins of charging the duo turns on by itself..

I have factory reset my device but the issue still persists.. anybody has any idea what could be the actual problem..

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If it's persisting through factory reset, it's probably a hardware issue.

My Surface Duo usually has >35% battery remaining at the end of the day.

Anish Velupillai

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Yes.. it just turns off by itself.. and nothing happens if we try to restart except show low battery symbol.. anyways I have decided to return it for replacement

Aaron McCarthy

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I bought the Surface Duo from best buy a month and 5 days ago. about 2 weeks in I had the same issue you are talking about. I put in for a replacement and it arrived on Friday. I didn't set up the new Duo though till yesterday. I started from scratch without a back up to make sure everything was fresh. Did all the updates. Loaded in my accounts and got everything all set up. Worked fine all last night. This morning I jumped in my truck and turned on the wifi hotspot for the first time and then connected the phone to my trucks stereo via bluetooth for the first time. About 25 minutes into my drive I realized my phone was turned off and when I pushed the power button all I got was that sample blinking low battery indicator.

I don't know what the odds of getting the exact same issue with a phone two times especially when this doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. At least that I can tell. My assumption is that somehow connecting the phone via bluetooth to my car stereo (its an ATOTO Android double din unit) or turning on the wifi hotspot somehow screws the phone? I was smart enough to bring my old Note 8 with me today so when I got to work I took the sim card out of my Surface Duo and back into my Note 8. I just got home and finally got the phone to start up. It showed the battery at 100 %. I immediately went into the settings and started a hard reset of everything annnnd part way through the phone screen shut off and the low battery indicator popped up on the left hand screen again. I'm hoping it didn't brick the phone because it crashed once the hard reset process had started.

I've attached photos I took to show what pops up on the screen when the power button is pushed. That symbol flashes on the screen for about 5 seconds then goes away. Same thing when its plugged in but it shows the plugged in symbol. Holding the power button for 1 minute does nothing. Holding the power button and the volume down does nothing. When it does turn on it turns off after only a few minutes.

I wanted to baby this phone so before I even set it up I put on new screen protectors and a back black vinyl sticker on the back to protect it from scratches. If I have to send this one back I am officially out 2 sets of screen protectors and 2 sets of back covers.

20210315_184059.jpg

20210315_184607.jpg

AsashoryuMaryBerry

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. Re-enabling "Digital wellbeing" seemed to fix it so far (almost two days without issues, and counting). So, maybe try that.
If the problem returns, I'll post again here.

Anish Velupillai

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi Aaron.. even mine was replaced from best buy. after all these days, my second unit also shows the same issue.. dont know if it's applying back covers that's resulting in this matter.. even though its really peculiar..... and Im from UAE, sending it back again to US for warranty is a big headache..im really 😥..

saloei

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
My mom had the same problem with her cell phone a week ago. I told her to switch to a different electrical outlett and the phone charged up. For whatever reason, the outlet she was using wasn't charging her phone but it would power her little radio.

penultimateName

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I got the surface duo as soon as it was released. I was really enjoying it for the improved productivity with two screens.

But since yesterday my duo shows 100% charge but turns off within 5 mins of usage.. after 15 mins of charging the duo turns on by itself..

I have factory reset my device but the issue still persists.. anybody has any idea what could be the actual problem..

Any help will be highly appreciated.

The Surface Duo 2 has a feature to turn on automatically when you lift it. That might be why you see it automatically turn on.
Settings->Surface Duo features->Lift to wake has the setting.

I have experienced my phone turning off after five minutes. There is a setting to turn off after a period of time. It should be inactivity. Maybe there is a bug. Change the timeout to a greater number of minutes and see what happens. I will also try it. My problem is with the left screen. It often turns off/on or just off. With the other screen still on. This is in a flat open position. That is what is bugging me.

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
When I got SD2 on 21st it informed me that my SD1 charger was insufficient with powering. Switched to another charger, Apple 29W USBC and fine. Also bought Anker 40W dual port charger. Not all chargers or cables are the same or can fail. Bought from MS.

Mine has Developer Options enabled and don't sleep when on charger. Otherwise 5 minute not using or looking it sleeps.

My SD1 would get hot 40°C vis Gsam Pro at times during its first week which concerned me, but is fine. Great app too BTW. Shows what battery is doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon