Weird camera shutter noise on start up and shutdown

driedwatermelon

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I recently purchased a Surface Go and am enjoying it so far except for one minor detail. Every time I start it or turn it off it makes a clicking noise that sounds a bit like a camera shutter (I am not paranoid about anyone taking pictures of me, I just find the sound annoying). It also makes the noise from time to time when in use. It's somehow linked to the cameras, because if I disable them in the BIOS the noise goes away. The sound annoyed me enough that I had my first Surface Go replaced, but the second one had the same problem. Now I am wondering if this is a persistent feature of the Surface Go or if I have just been unlucky. The noise is faint and can be heard the best in a quiet room.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely the camera/facial recognition hardware. Once it starts up and gets power it goes through a series of hardware checks and prepares the array for Windows Hello biometrics. I think it's also sometimes the shutter? I hear it too, but it's VERY faint. Really can only hear it if you're in a silent room which doesn't have much with a 2 year old.

However, I don't hear mine during use. Only when starting up or launching the camera app... Perhaps you have a program/service that leverages the camera or Windows Hello and is causing it to wake up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism