Happy with your Surface purchase?

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add something and ask for feedback. Closing of apps. Sometimes it doesn't work like it should. Sometimes it will just maximize without going to the bottom to close.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to add something and ask for feedback. Closing of apps. Sometimes it doesn't work like it should. Sometimes it will just maximize without going to the bottom to close.

Pro-tip: Don't slow down when you're swiping down. Just start at the top and swipe all the way down fairly quickly. Your percentage of closings will greatly improve.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
so far yes, but I have had little glitches.

On Friday, I took my surface to school instead of my XPS 15. couldn't use my surface.

When I went to unlock my surface I had no apps. My entire start screen was gone.

I figured the glitch was caused by lack of wifi, but when I went into settings to try to access the wifi button so I could log into my schools wifi, nothing was showing up lol. Like there were no charms in the right to left swipe. Not sure why.

anybody else have this problem?

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ive had a few glitches, but overall i love it. I thought it was a little big or weird to hold but now it just feels normal and not heavy at all. I really like the portrait mode for reading. I really wish my hd7 could bridge to it via bluetooth like the way the playbook can with blackberry phones.

I really believe the surface will be noticed in the tablet space. Its a great start that has to be making apple and google at least pay attention.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ive had a few glitches, but overall i love it. I thought it was a little big or weird to hold but now it just feels normal and not heavy at all. I really like the portrait mode for reading. I really wish my hd7 could bridge to it via bluetooth like the way the playbook can with blackberry phones.

I really believe the surface will be noticed in the tablet space. Its a great start that has to be making apple and google at least pay attention.

Yeah I have seen some glitches to but I think that's the price of being an early adopter of it. I actually really enjoyed my playbook and like windows 8 for the fact its similar in gestures. I agree I think it might take time but the tablet is very good! At least there is innovation happening! I can't imagine a tablet without the stand now

spitefulgod

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
At first I was like.. "ooh, is that it", but the more I use it the better it gets, the only complaints I now have are that there's no Cisco von software (the standard vpn connection won't connect to my workplace) and secondly, the text selection isn't as good as on windows phone so its sometimes difficult to select where the cursor goes in a text box. Other than that fantastic, great battery, tethered to my phone, a good selection of apps and flash support :) recommended but give it a chance to get used to it.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am loving mine couldn't be happier I just tried terminal services from my Surface to my desktop and was amazed at how well it worked my desktop pretty much acted like a touch screen scrolling up and down the screen was just like on the Surface.

Sound and video worked as well although 720p struggled it dropped frames and was a bit pixilated. Music worked fine the more I treat this like a PC the more it surprises me.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ive run into something that's kind of annoyed me.. xbox music. I opened it for the 1st time tonight. it loaded the music I've bought through my windowsphone. for a couple of song I get an error pop up saying it cant play it, then I get a 30 second advert for xbox muxic subscription. please don't tell me I'll hear that always. I wont be signing up for the xbox music service. this might be a deal breaker for me.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I like it, but an update is needed for the bing apps, they seem to crash a lot if u use it too fast. a few times if you are in the bing apps whether news sports or whatever, you press the back arrow on top of the screen, it will crash.

People app as well.

135boom

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Who would return this product

The Surface is a great product that exceeds expectations. If you are returning it your either did not read about the product before buying it or you did not really use the product. I have yet to find anyone that genuinely dislikes the Surface. Even iPad users such as myself and my wife are blown away how productive this product is. I have even had iPad users drool over my Surface and what it can do. My boss stopped all iPad purchases until the Surface Pro is released because he liked my Surf.ace and ended up buying one himself. So I do not believe anyone is returning their Surface...

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone here with a surface also has a laptop that is more powerful than the surface? Not like a big honking desktop replacement laptop, but a nice portable one. Do you find yourself using the surface much?

I am pretty tempted to get a surface but its hard to since its not -incredibly- different in size/power than my laptop.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone here with a surface also has a laptop that is more powerful than the surface? Not like a big honking desktop replacement laptop, but a nice portable one. Do you find yourself using the surface much?

I am pretty tempted to get a surface but its hard to since its not -incredibly- different in size/power than my laptop.
Yes, I've used my laptop like 2 times since I've gotten my surface (ssh clients)

But that's only on the go, I still have my desktop I use when I'm at my desk at home. In bed or anywhere else in the house... surface! ��

dmandWP

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I am very happy with my Surface. I got the 32G with Touch Cover.

I love the touch cover, I can type plenty fast on it for what I need to do (emails, searches, word and powerpoint editing, etc).

As a .net and SQL developer I need my workstation to be productive, nothing I can carry under my arm can even come close to replacing it, so I wanted the RT version instead of the PRO- I do not want a tablet that runs x86 apps (but I do understand why some people would).

The surface runs remote desktop so I can terminal into my work station if I just want to monitor stuff, etc. , and for me this is better than running legacy apps. For personal use I can also run things like Lightroom remotely, so I can sit on my couch and organize/catalog my latest photos.

My workstation is a W7 box, but I have also tried remoting into a W8 laptop and the experience is super sweet. If you have not tried this you really should.

I do however have a few minor issues. First one is that the surface will not play my Media Center recordings, but once again Remote Desktop comes to the rescue since you can watch videos playing on the remote machine!

I am hopeful that someone will make an app that plays these .wtv files (I think the ipad has one). Heck, if the fires at work would calm down I could even try and make one myself.

My second issue is with xbox video. We have been using xbox video to rent and watch movies for about 6 months and we love the service. The other night we rented Prometheus in HD on the xbox , but I got called away for a work emergency and was not able to watch it before the rental period expired. I am now on a business trip and I wanted to rent it again to watch on my Surface, but it is only available in SD. I called xbox support and they have no idea why it would be available in HD on the xbox and only SD on the Surface. Could someone else with an xbox and a surface confirm that the HD version of Prometheus is only available on the xbox, and not the surface?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Damn, the courier just called. Im stuck at school till quite late, but my fiancee will sign the package and it will wait for me to get home :D On the downside I have to write a few things for school and wont have much time to play with it, but maybe Ill write the stuff on Surface to get a feel for it :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine today! Holy cow I'm really amazed. This is easily the finest piece of tech I've ever owned.

That said, I had to fight to get it off my fiancees hands :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon