Happy with your Surface purchase?

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am really liking mine. My only issue at this point is the Xbox Music app. I have my music collection on my SD card, and have followed the steps to access it given on the WinSupersite. When I play any of that music and the screen goes to sleep, the music stops at the end of the current song. I am assuming the power is cut to the SD card to save the battery. I am considering exchanging my 32GB Surface for a 64GB model.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess partially what he also means is that just cos he isnt going to return it or isnt undecided doesnt mean that "he couldnt be happier".

fjiggy

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
does anyone feel that they have neglected their smartphone too much because of their new surface tablet? I felt sorry for my phone last night. I think it got mad at me because it didn't wake me up (alarm) like usual. Odd lol.
This is so true ... my phone is so jealous right now

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my Surface, but I'm sensible enough to recognize it for what it is... an PC companion that let's me have a lot of fun while conveniently letting me get SOME work done.

I think that those who need to get A LOT OF work done should opt for the Surface Pro. Surface RT is definitely NOT a PC replacement... at least, not yet, for most people.

That said, as the app market matures in the coming months, Surface RT will greatly surpass the functionality of any tablet on the market. The hardware is already there, the OS is already there, just need the app developers. Judging by the feedback at BUILD, I think we can expect a lot.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Haha this is sooo true, I've been using surface for everything, doing things on it is just so easy. My absolute best decision to preorder this bad boy, and **** I get a lot of ooo is that that microsoft tablet on tv. Microsoft has a cool factor, which I admit is pretty awesome.

I can do 90% of what I usually do on my laptop with Surface, and get 3x the battery life. If VMware vcenter and Putty supported RT I don't think I'd touch my laptop haha.

does anyone feel that they have neglected their smartphone too much because of their new surface tablet? I felt sorry for my phone last night. I think it got mad at me because it didn't wake me up (alarm) like usual. Odd lol.

Oh yes, my battery ends up being around 50% instead 30% since I got Surface :lol:

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow to review it on what is his own misconception of what it was going to be is harsh. I think most people knew what it was all along a Companion Tablet and not a replacement that’s more what the pro is. I always saw the RT as more IPad then PC. Where the Pro is more PC but in a Tablet form.

I am not sure why the hate for what it isn't and should be and not much about what it is and doing right. I would say more right than wrong in the first release of a new tablet and OS.

CoopII

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
This Paul Thurrott we're talking about here. As much as I like him, sometimes his logic escapes me. That's why I only rely on him for news, not reviews.

And most reviewers go for that shock factor to get blog hits. The negative reviews really seem to draw attention, and the more negative the better. They get spread around more than a virus during cold and flu season.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
And most reviewers go for that shock factor to get blog hits. The negative reviews really seem to draw attention, and the more negative the better. They get spread around more than a virus during cold and flu season.

Very true, but with Thurrott it seems like he goes with the majority's opinion (the last Windows Weekly he was so impressed with Surface too). There are still a lot of people who dislike even the idea of an ARM based Windows, and I think he catered to them.

Tvan15

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love mine. I put a lot of thought and research into exactly what I wanted before I purchased it though, so I knew what to expect and it has done exactly what I was looking for it to do for me. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it.

mkuether

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with my Surface overall. Yes, there are some things that I wish that it had (like a retina display and more apps), but those things are minor compared to all of the amazing thing that I can do with the Surface.

I've been using mine at work a lot and at least for my job is it more or less a replacement for my laptop for day to day activities. I wouldn't have guessed it beforehand, but just things like the ability to add a USB mouse make a huge difference in just how useful this device is to me.

Is the Surface a perfect device? Definitely not, but it is amazing and I think as more applications roll out and Microsoft issues updates for Windows RT it's only going to get better. I definitely wouldn't trade it for any other tablet.

Matt

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My report.

I am very pleased that this is the first post I am writing from my new Surface RT. I took a boat and rented a car to go get one because I simply couldn't wait.

Here's the thing, when I unboxed it with one of the MS employees, it didn't fire right away. Between that happening and it actually booting he told me that he's seen maybe one in a thousand come out of the box and not work. Later that night,(I had to stay on the mainland as I missed the boat home)I found that I was getting this weird and annoying feedback noise when I used the slider to forward or reverse movies on Xbox. There were a few other little things that seemed off about it. Other than these things, I love it. What can I say? It is simply a stunning piece of technology and money well spent.

Here's the other thing. The MS employee said when it didn't boot that we should just get another one. Cool, right? I actually said no, if it keeps acting up I'll stop by nest week on my way out of town and get a fresh one. He said, 'no problem'.
As s business owner myself, I am all about the experience consumers have. Now, while my Surface may not be running perfectly, that was one great experience.
Me so happy, me want to cry. (Bonus point for the reference of that last line)

Thanks

-Doc

mcgrathpatj

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am very pleased with the device. As another member said, the Surface RT makes the Nexus 7 look like a toy. Greater app support will further the distinction. My laptop has not been used since Oct 26th and that's saying a lot! I think I'm now in the market for a desktop all in one for the times I must have a full work PC that will run CAD applications that my laptop was/is currently used for.

My only quibble was no flash out of the box, which has been addressed by "whitelisting" specific web pages and now works.

Second quibble, is the stand could provide a little more lean. I think it's just a tad upright.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
After getting flash to work on all of my sites by editting my iecompat file, I don't see myself using my laptop again...

\My only quibble was no flash out of the box, which has been addressed by "whitelisting" specific web pages and now works.

It does have Flash out of the box. It just blocks non trusted sites.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I hear people with the Video app, it needs to be more robust but on the whole I love the device, the keyboard is great to use and mostly the interface is really snappy when not I think it's more down to the apps than RT.
Couple of things for the next Arm version; proper pen support as I miss being able to jot down ideas and draw things out and more functionality in Office (I have one spreadsheet that uses a macro).

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I love love love mine. Wish the XBox Music would work better (get lots of errors), but it's still a baby, I expected such things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria