Issues with my Surface RT (includes 3 questions)

bumeranger

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So I thought to give Surface RT a chance and bought one. I still have my iPad on the side, and I would like to get rid of it, if RT works for my purposes. Now I have few issues with mi new shiny device.

Question 1:
I have managed to "install" jailbreak and use some of those nice Desktop apps ported to Windows RT.
But I cant/dont know how to use ffmpeg0.6.
I have installed it, but when launching app it tells me about missing dll file. What can I do about it? There is no GUI?:confused:

Question 2:
I use Internet Explorer to watch some live hockey streams that are Flash based (also available on html5), but it seems to be somewhat too laggy. Is there something that might fix that?

Question 3:
Almost all my video files are AVIs and playback is terrible. Very low fps and stuttering audio and video. I have tried several media players from Microsoft Store but same issue with them all. Around 700 Mb *.avi files are not working properly and this could be a dealbreaker with this device for me... Is RTs processor just too weak, or is there someting that might fix this issue?

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed on the VLC front. They raised a large amount of funds last year, but progress has been pretty slow. It just doesn't feel very high-priority. And here we are at the end of October without a VLC release on RT.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you stream and play video before the jailbreak?

No issues here with my Surface RT in the scenarios you mention - the jailbreak may have decreased performance, the codecs your videos have aren't supported, or your Surface is faulty? If you're in the US it may be worth exchanging at a Microsoft Store as I imagine their exchange policy is similar to the Apple Store's. I have watched videos, including Divx etc, from a variety of sources and they have all played fine.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My surface plays AVI files flawlessly.....I use Mediamonkey app, works great. Didnt bother with the jailbreak, I installed 8.1, and never looked back, love it. Now the ? is whether to sell, and upgrade to the 2, Nokia 2520, 2Pro, or maybe Dell 8"

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I only have a few AVI files left, but they play fine on my RT64. The videos are on an sd card. My RT is running 8.1 preview and has not been jail-broken or otherwise modified. Good luck getting past this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon