Windows 8.1

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
IE hasn't crashed on me but it did freeze up once, wonder if the website had anything to do with it. Also, wasn't there a Bing live tile on the start screen before the update? Did that go away?

My Bing tile didn't appear to even have the option of being live anymore. Then I used it. When I closed out it seems to be live now, and the option is there to turn it off. Wierd.

I am having issues with the sports app, it crashes frequently. I also had this forum freeze up my Surface completely, had to restart.

I do probably use more complexity than most people. I have 4 user accounts, a 64 GB card, and about 8 GB remaining space on board. With nothing running I'm sitting at about 40% memory usage which seems high. But I never had issues with crashes until I installed the preview.

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I upgraded my RT to 8.1 and all went smoothly, but the xbox music application seems to have lost all my playlists. Does anyone know where those may have been stored? Or am I sunk?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my RT to 8.1 and all went smoothly, but the xbox music application seems to have lost all my playlists. Does anyone know where those may have been stored? Or am I sunk?

Try somewhere in the xbox music folder wherever you save, but my one playlist showed up.

The issue i had with xbox music was i had the physical DRM files that i downloaded when i had preview 8.1, but xbox music wouldn't recognize at all. So i had to delete all and redownload. Xbox music all messed up

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The Skydrive desktop app has been discontinued for Windows 8.1 in favor of the Metro app. You can still access all of your files through Explorer (Skydrive link is on the left sidebar).
I wish they hadn't done that. I don't use my laptop with my Microsoft account so that's a step backward in usability for me. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance none the less.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
IE (Store App, and Desktop) still shows mobile versions of various websites. I was hoping MS would fix the user agent string. :unhappysweat:

Anyone know how to change the default so it will stick? I know you can F12 to the developer tools and change it, but it's only temporary and not global.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My Bing tile didn't appear to even have the option of being live anymore. Then I used it. When I closed out it seems to be live now, and the option is there to turn it off. Wierd.

I am having issues with the sports app, it crashes frequently. I also had this forum freeze up my Surface completely, had to restart.

I do probably use more complexity than most people. I have 4 user accounts, a 64 GB card, and about 8 GB remaining space on board. With nothing running I'm sitting at about 40% memory usage which seems high. But I never had issues with crashes until I installed the preview.

I feel so stupid. I get it now. Bing is integrated into the search you can do from the charm bar. No wonder the tile is gone. This is such a great improvement, the results layout is pretty cool.
Sent from my Nexus 7

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
IE (Store App, and Desktop) still shows mobile versions of various websites. I was hoping MS would fix the user agent string. :unhappysweat:

Anyone know how to change the default so it will stick? I know you can F12 to the developer tools and change it, but it's only temporary and not global.
Woo Hoo!!! I found how to change the user agent string and keep it for my Surface RT!!! This might also help for sites that aren't working for others anymore.

See: Understanding user-agent strings (Internet Explorer)

It's not for the faint of heart, as you have to edit the registry. But I can attest to it working!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon