encountered problems due to magnify on startup

Gorgan8

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
I just bought my Surface 2 for 5 days now. Was really happy when I first tested it, the screen is great, it was fast and definitely love the premium feel of this tablet. However after I installed updates from Microsoft, I got occasion pixilated horizontal line on my screen. Its just appeared for less than 1sec but it's kinda frustrating. So I decided to refresh my surface 2 and see what happen. The lines issue was gone for now, at least I still have yet to encounter any of the issue. Then, I noticed that the colour on my surface 2 is a little washed out, compared to what it was before I did a refresh, and as to compared to my gf's surface 2 (yap, managed to persuade her to buy this over nexus 10). So, I was wondering, is this driver related problem or is there anyway to bring my the vibrant colour back to my tablet?

Also, when I first try the type 2 cover, my surface couldn't pick up any response from it, whereas my gf unit has no problem. Tried a few more times, taking it out, refreshing my unit again, still couldn't get it to work. Being a paranoid, I bring back to the retail shop and ask for an exchange and, wuala! The keyboard is working. So, does anyone here encounter any of the similar issues as I did??

And the last bug I believe, is that I can't seems to type anything using the on screen keyboard to reply to this post using modern UI IE, currently typing this using the desktop version. Odd...

Thank you in advance for any of your respond!

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my Surface 2 today and I'm crossing my fingers I won't get this issue. Many customers are reporting the same problem even with the replacements, this is not good news. I ordered mine online and wouldn't want to go through the hassle of exchanging and waiting. MS get it together!

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my Surface 2 today and I'm crossing my fingers I won't get this issue. Many customers are reporting the same problem even with the replacements, this is not good news. I ordered mine online and wouldn't want to go through the hassle of exchanging and waiting. MS get it together!

Let us know how it goes after you put some stress on the unit. Mine is usually ok unless I'm watching a HD video or have Metrotube open in a side bar while browsing on the main window, etc.

tankogradets

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and share with you that I also purchased Surface 2, a couple of weeks ago, and I am also having an issue with pixelating. It happens, on average, once every couple of days, and only hard reboots help. I love the Surface, but these occurrences are embarrassing. What's the general consensus - exchange, or wait for software upgrade? It does feel like a video card driver crash...

Thanks,

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and share with you that I also purchased Surface 2, a couple of weeks ago, and I am also having an issue with pixelating. It happens, on average, once every couple of days, and only hard reboots help. I love the Surface, but these occurrences are embarrassing. What's the general consensus - exchange, or wait for software upgrade? It does feel like a video card driver crash...

Thanks,
Wish I could tell you. Everytime I reach out to Surface support on twitter, they direct me to a Microsoft forum covering the issue and just tell me Microsoft is aware. I ask, "does that mean sit tight or exchange". And once again, they refer me to that forum. Sorry, but that doesn't tell me sh*t other than many others are having the same problem. And your right.... You would think they would be a little concerned that when we are asked by people if they can see how it works, that it crashes in front of other potential costumers. I know one person that was looking at mine when it happened, and they said "no thanks". Way to drag *** on this, Microsoft.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I sent my first Surface 2 back because of this crashing display issue (as shown in the pic by the OP). My replacement Surface 2 has been working fine for two weeks. I have all the latest updates installed. Today, the display crashed for the first time on this unit. I got the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. So for me, it seems safe to say the latest updates didn't fix the problem. Sigh...

Prior to this crash, I had been charging it and noticed the screen came on by itself. It was just sitting on my desk charging and the screen came on. I put it to sleep and let the Surface continue charging. A little while later, I noticed that it was in the process of rebooting itself (Surface logo was on the screen), still while charging. What the? Again, I put it to sleep and let it finish charging. Then after a little while longer, I pressed the Windows button to wake it up so I could check to see if it was fully charged yet. Well, nothing happened. It didn't wake up. I tried a few more times to wake it up, but the screen wouldn't come on. It made the audible sound, but didn't wake up. Finally, held down the power button. Then hit the power button again, and it came on. Everything seemed OK. Opened Mail to check my email, and the screen crashed. To say I was upset and disappointed to see that again is an understatement.

I'm going to call Surface support on Monday as a follow up to my original service tag to report this. Not sure yet if I want to return this unit or wait for the next round of updates. Has Microsoft even issued a statement about this problem? Do they know what's causing it? Are they working on a fix? Or is it hardware related and the unit is defective? I really like my Surface 2, but all these glitches are just unacceptable. If they can't fix this, I want my money back.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Today, I drove an hour to my nearest Microsoft Store with my second Surface 2 to exchange it. I showed them pictures of the pixelated screen and even took a printout of this thread for their reference. The associate I spoke to wasn't aware of the issue, but was very helpful and exchanged my Surface 2. Came home with my 3rd unit. Set-up went fine and then I proceeded to install updates. While the Surface was in the process of installing updates, the display crashed: the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. Oh no, not again! This is so unbelievably aggravating. I called the store and spoke to the same sales associate. He seems to think it could be one of the updates causing this issue, and suggested I reset it and not install the updates. To me, that really doesn't seem like a solution. I should be able to install updates without breaking my device. If only Microsoft would officially say something about this issue. I still have no idea if I have a defective device (for the third time), or if this is indeed caused by an update and can be fixed by another update. I'm torn about what to do. Return this for a refund (the sales associate said I could), or wait it out? How do we go about trying to get an answer about this from Microsoft?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good news! A Microsoft moderator finally posted the following response on the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread:

"There is a graphics issue on Surface 2 that is impacting a very limited number of users. We are happy to report that a fix will be delivered thru Windows Update on December 10[SUP]th[/SUP]. In the meantime, if you encounter an issue with incorrect images on your display on Surface 2, then restarting your device should relieve the issue temporarily prior to the permanent fix provided via the December update. If the issue persists, you can contact Surface Support to exchange your Surface."

So looks like a fix is coming on December 10th. Sadly, I had already returned my Surface 2 (the third one I had with the display crash issue) before I saw this post. Will be eager to see if this update solves the problem. If it does, then I'll probably go buy another one.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Community thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ay-crash/784e1244-bb63-4916-b8d0-f080f12be099

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes