Surface RT Touch Screen Glitchy

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed a Surface RT off ebay, and it works fine except the touchscreen acts like its being touched when it isn't sometimes, and it pretty annoying, I have tried resetting it, calibrating the touch screen, I don't know what else to try, anyone got any suggestions?

:angry:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just as something to try......with a microfiber cloth or something that can clean finger oils and grime, power the unit down and give the screen and body a good wipe down.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I did try that, it still is intermittent. When it starts to freak out, if I touch the screen and hold it, it does stop or if I push the power button and it stops. I am wondering if the digitizer is flakey..

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ouch
my next guess would be a loose connection inside, one of the ribbon cables. If your not comfortable enough to open and poke about, maybe see if there is a store close by.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm too wussy to take it apart, I have fubared too many things as a DIY "repair tech"... I'll have to drive across town and take it to the store for service.. :(

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
so it's being super-sensitive?
The previous owner might have done the sensitivity hack - you just need to reverse it (if this is the case).

type "regedit" to get to the registry editor... then go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPredict ion
Change both the latency and the sample time.
default setting (for both) is "8", if it's been changed to increase sensitivity it will be a lower value, "2" seems to be a common value - change it back to "8" to decrease the sensitivity.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I made a video of mine (below) when it was having phantom/multi-touch issues. Is this the problem you're having? You can see when I touch the outside frame it's registering touches everywhere on the screen. This is immediately after a reset, so I ended up having mine replaced on warranty. Not sure if yours is still within warranty, but it might be worth chatting with MS to see if they'd replace it as faulty hardware. (if the sensitive touch solution above doesn't fix the issue).

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly what its doing, sadly the warranty expired about a month after I bought it. If I touch the screen and hold my finger to it, it will stop, or if I hit the power button it will stop. I did not do a reset when I got it as it appeared reset out of the box.

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I made a video of mine (below) when it was having phantom/multi-touch issues. Is this the problem you're having? You can see when I touch the outside frame it's registering touches everywhere on the screen. This is immediately after a reset, so I ended up having mine replaced on warranty. Not sure if yours is still within warranty, but it might be worth chatting with MS to see if they'd replace it as faulty hardware. (if the sensitive touch solution above doesn't fix the issue).

WP 20130215 004 - YouTube

This problem has been happening to my rt for a few weeks now. When I use it in portrait mode the screen freezes completely and I am unable to use it at all. I have to turn it off then on again, hold it in landscape mode to resume. Is this a repairable problem or will it have to be exchanged? Bought it from John Lewis Christmas 2012 and came with a 2 year guarantee

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

WP 20130215 004 - YouTube

You really need to get that device exchanged. Hopefully, it is under warranty.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This problem has been happening to my rt for a few weeks now. When I use it in portrait mode the screen freezes completely and I am unable to use it at all. I have to turn it off then on again, hold it in landscape mode to resume. Is this a repairable problem or will it have to be exchanged? Bought it from John Lewis Christmas 2012 and came with a 2 year guarantee

if you've got a two year warranty, might as well exchange it.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
if you're talking to me, I did get mine replaced. If you're talking to OP, I agree, but he might have a warranty problem.

OK. your replacement is ok? And, if there is a warranty problem with the OP, then that is a real problem because I would not recommend the DIY option - that sort of stuff really needs to be done by an authorized and trained person.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
OK. your replacement is ok? And, if there is a warranty problem with the OP, then that is a real problem because I would not recommend the DIY option - that sort of stuff really needs to be done by an authorized and trained person.

Yes, my replacement has been fine. No issues and enjoying it.

If I were the OP I would still contact MS to try for a replacement. Use my video if you need to. Outside of warranty or not, maybe they'll recognize this as a serious issue.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my replacement has been fine. No issues and enjoying it.

If I were the OP I would still contact MS to try for a replacement. Use my video if you need to. Outside of warranty or not, maybe they'll recognize this as a serious issue.

Good show! Yeah, the OP should seriously consider asking MS for help - at least get their quote, opinion or something.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
To service my RT it will be 200 for a out of warranty replacement... Not worth it to me... Another Ebay dirtbag strikes again :(

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
was having hardware trouble with my surface rt ie, screen freezing and shuddering. I had it for 15 months. took it back to john lewis and exchanged it for the surface 2 (paid an extra ?60). been using it most of the day and speed is phenomenal compared to the rt. this site used have terrible lag, now its a breeze. the only problem so far is the photos live tile. on the tile itself you can see the photos changing but when I open the tile there aren't any photos inside. strange.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Have it replaced. Mine was doing the same (as if it's being touched on the corners) and after trying EVERYTHING I sent it back to Microsoft Store and got a new one.
There is nothing you can do except for exchanging it. And can't really fix it either, very hard considering there is a lot of glue in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes