Media Center Live TV and Surface Pro, awesome!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I finally have my Silicon Dust HDhomerun network tuner all set up and decided to test it out on my network. I added windows media center to my surface pro for 10 bucks and ran the TV setup. I now have full windows media center on my surface pro over my home network. I can watch Live and recorded TV now while sitting anywhere with my surface pro. It's much more touch friendly than I ever figured.

I wish Microsoft would not have abandoned the software...

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't technically abandoned, they just couldn't get it to go anywhere with cable companies so they decided to go a different path. The Xbone pass through is a compromise, they overlay all Xbox commands/abilities over the top of existing cable boxes which keeps the cable companies happy. I don't like it either, I've been using Media Center exclusively for TV since XP. I haven't had a cable box for that long! But I see the reason behind it, it is what it is. After seeing it in my home a friend of mine wanted the same.I told him how to get Media Center running and he had a hell of a time getting it working until we happened to get the right person at the cable company that finally did the right trick on their side. That's why Media Center wasn't taking off, the cable companies were blocking it either via incompetence or intentionally. :(

That's awesome that you have it portable like that, just be aware that some TV shows can be up to 3GB in size (depending on quality) so you can fill up that SSD pretty fast. :)

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I'm in the same boat as you. Been using media center for going on 6 years now I think. At one point I had 5 extenders hooked up and working great. I agree that the pass through was just to keep the cable companies happy which is too bad cause they had the opportunity to really shake things up.

I'm going to continue using media center for the foreseeable future though. I figure with the community support we have a good 5 years or so of life left in it. Too bad it was more difficult to set up for the average person or it would have ruled the living room years ago.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem, I have MC installed, and I have a WinTV HVR 950Q. The 950Q is detected perfectly, and I can configure the TV, but when I want to watch Live tv, the MC app is not working, and it freeze.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes