Is it possible to charge Surface while it is powered down?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So far I have always charged my Surface while it's on, but yesterday I tried it when it was shut down/completely turned off. I guess I was kinda expecting an experience like with mobile phones that not only allow you to do this but also display a charge level indicator. However my tablet's screen remained completely blank. Pressing the volume buttons did nothing and quick pressing the power button caused it to simply power up instead of remaining shut off and displaying a charge level indicator. So,

1) Can these tablets even charge properly when shut down?

2) If the answer to the above is yes, is there any way at all to make them display a charge level indicator while still remaining turned off?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I believe it behaves like a PC where it charges regardless of state. My Dell Venue tablet charges when its on, off, whatever.

I do not think there is a way to show an indicator when its off. I hold it as being dependent of hardware. my venue has a little indicator light that turns on when charging, off when charged, amber when low. But other than that, nope.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I do not think there is a way to show an indicator when its off. I hold it as being dependent of hardware. my venue has a little indicator light that turns on when charging, off when charged, amber when low. But other than that, nope.

Thanks, although that's a real shame. All I see is the white light dot at the tip of the charger and even that doesn't seem to change colour or turn on/off to indicate that the tablet is charged 100%. They could have certainly done much better here, especially when even ancient dumb phones can display a charge level indicator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon