Surface 4?

dronkula

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone has any idea on if/when MS might announce and release Surface 4?

I know there's rumours of a Surface Pro 4 annoucement in Oct - does anyone think if they'll also announce Surface 4 at the same time like they used to (i.e - Surface/Pro and Surface/Pro 2 announcements) or if there will be a 6 month delay like there was between Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3?

I'm thinking of buying a Surface 3 next month as my laptop has completely died (although it's not an urgent replacement because between my desktop and my iPad I'm covered for what I need) but don't want to buy it and then a week later MS annouce Surface 4....

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Simple answer? No-one knows, it's all rumours and conjecture and even if you had insider information stating a date a last minute glitch could prevent release.

If you can wait, wait. If you need to replace the computer replace it. That's the joys of technology, there's always something better round the corner.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The Surface 3 came out 3 months ago, I doubt Microsoft is going to replace it in October as that would be a really short life of 5 months. Plus Intel hasn't done anything in regards to the top end Atom x7, it's still the same SoC it was 3 months ago. Intel hasn't even given it a spec bump (like going from 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz) so there's nothing new to put in the Surface 4 unless Microsoft switched to Core M chips. Then again, that would increase the price of the Surface 3 to be the same as the Surface Pro 3.

So no, you're safe. I generally tell people to buy something new if it is not going to be replaced within 6 months. The Surface 3 isn't even going to be 6 months old when you're looking to buy it so you'll be safe. I wouldn't get a Surface 3 from December onward but anytime before then will be fine. You can look at it this way: you can always take the "wait if you can" approach with technology but you will ALWAYS end up waiting if you do so. You'll end up waiting 9 months from now for a Surface 4 and, by the time it's released, why not just wait another 12 months? You've waited almost a year, what's another year after that?

You're best bet is to get something whenever you need it and, if you happen to be within 6 months of seeing a new generation (and not just a small spec bump), you can see about waiting. Microsoft could always wait until October of next year before releasing the Surface 4. There were 19 months after the Surface 2's release before the Surface 3 came out. They could very well do the same thing with the Surface 4 and wait until October of 2016.

I highly suggest getting one next month if you want or are in need of a Surface 3. After all, we know that an iPad isn't really a notebook replacement (it was never designed to be one).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon