Surface Pro pen

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else bummed out that Microsoft has not taken the oportunity to release a higher quality Surface Pro pen with the Surface refresh? I would love a high quality metal finish pen that is made of the same material as the Surface instead of the cheap plastic one.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
An actual slot for the pen would've also been nice, but I think they'll get to it with the 3rd generation of devices.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Pen looks good enough to me. And besides, until they add a dedicated slot, rather than a magnetic connector, I'd rather have a cheaper, lower-cost-to-replace pen anyways for when I inevitably lose it.

And you still get the perks of it being an active stylus, such as resting your hand on the screen. Again, good enough for me.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Does the bamboo feel work with the surface?

Wacom Bamboo Stylus feel for Most Samsung Galaxy Note and PenEnabled Tablets CS300UK - Best Buy

Yes it does. I use this one all the time as my main.

• It has a heavier feel, much more durable.
  • It feels more like writing than the one given on the Pro.
  • Rougher writing vs silky smoother writing with the plastic one provided.

Only downside is that it DOES NOT have an eraser end on it. I use the button on it as an Undo command though.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have no intentions of buying a mouse to use with a Pro 2, is this realistic? I want to use the finger/touch and pen combo to replace a mouse all together.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
With Windows 8, I feel it does need a mouse. I use it much more than touch. I use mostly productivity apps for example Work websites that require a mouse, Outlook 2013. I find the touch portion nice but not necessary.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
With Windows 8, I feel it does need a mouse. I use it much more than touch. I use mostly productivity apps for example Work websites that require a mouse, Outlook 2013. I find the touch portion nice but not necessary.

but can the pen replace the mouse? I primarily use my PC to record and mix/edit music so a mouse is needed to maneuver and work with data. However if give a touch + pen I see no need for a mouse. Basically, can I get by without a mouse? Does touch and pen work with legacy software?

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
but can the pen replace the mouse? I primarily use my PC to record and mix/edit music so a mouse is needed to maneuver and work with data. However if give a touch + pen I see no need for a mouse. Basically, can I get by without a mouse? Does touch and pen work with legacy software?

The Pen is good for on the go purposes, but I don't think it's the best option to get around your programs with the small screen. I find using the mouse just much more easier. To each their own.

freshfelicio

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to replicate "Middle Mouse Button" with the pen?

Yes, you can bind the button on it to the middle mouse button, but you have to sacrifice the right mouse button function for that, which is more need imo. The pen just has one button and the eraser on the back.

freshfelicio

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I like the pen as it is. Its light and doesnt feel cold like a metal one would do. I love the eraser and i think the magnetic connector is superior to a slot because you get it out faster.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you get the keyboard, it is very possible to not get by without getting a mouse but it depends partly on what kind of programs you are using. It works pretty ok with just the pen as well. If you use really mouse heavy programs like FPS games or programs where you use a lot of drag and drop, it might be necessary. Personally I got myself a Bluetooth mouse when I bought my Asus Vivo tab and well, it's been unused for the last months I really don't need a mouse with my portable setups. I use it at home, but that is primarily since it got forward and back buttons, and my desktop keyboard lacks an integrated pointing solution.

If I get something like the Lenovo ThinkPad compact keyboard with trackpoint, I could actually get by without using a mouse at all if I don't play games.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You can't get a metal pen. Metal interfere with the Wacom digitizer. It needs to be plastic.
N-Trig pen must be in metal, but requires a battery to operate, and doesn't really have pressure sensitivity, the pen tip is a trigger button. The more your press, the more pen tip goes in, which makes the drive tell the program that you are pressing harder. Makes noise too.

The above is from my understanding, I am no expert, nor had any experience with either at the moment.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can't get a metal pen. Metal interfere with the Wacom digitizer. It needs to be plastic.
N-Trig pen must be in metal, but requires a battery to operate, and doesn't really have pressure sensitivity, the pen tip is a trigger button. The more your press, the more pen tip goes in, which makes the drive tell the program that you are pressing harder. Makes noise too.

The above is from my understanding, I am no expert, nor had any experience with either at the moment.

Not entirely correct. I had a Cross pen/stylus for my TabletPC circa 2005 and the pen definitely had a metal body and it was a great feeling pen to hold. However, the tip itself was not metal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes