SP2 Not Charging

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, it has finally happened. My Surface Pro 2 will not turn on unless the power is attached, and immediately shuts off when unplugged. The battery indicator is stuck at 18%, and when it's plugged in, it says "plugged in, not charging". I have tried the Volume Up + Power trick several times, and it's still not "fixing" the issue like it has many times before.

Is my only option to try a factory reset?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you should go to a Microsoft store for warranty replacement, or call them, if you don't have one near by. :/
Battery or charging circuit is broken, by the looks of things.

I would highly doubt it will help, a refresh, but I guess you want to do it before sending it to MS in any case, to protect your privacy, in any case.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you should go to a Microsoft store for warranty replacement, or call them, if you don't have one near by. :/
Battery or charging circuit is broken, by the looks of things.

I would highly doubt it will help, a refresh, but I guess you want to do it before sending it to MS in any case, to protect your privacy, in any case.
Sigh. I just got all of my data transferred off, and I'm about to try a reset. Unfortunately, there is no store near me, and I'm not looking forward to getting a refurb unit.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The reset didn't help, and after a surprisingly painless call to Microsoft support, my SP2 has been shipped out to be replaced. I'm hoping that by some magic, they will ship me a device with the new processor.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I received my warranty replacement SP2 yesterday afternoon, and I must say that I am incredibly disappointed.There are scratches, dings, and missing paint randomly around the casing. The area around the USB port looks like an animal was trying to climb out. The previous owner must have missed the USB port every single time he used it.

I called Surface support, and although he was incredibly nice, there was apparently nothing he could do to help. I sent him pictures of the damage, but because the unit is functional, he was 100% positive that the returns department would just ship back the same unit. His only advice was to "look past the scratches and enjoy the fantastic device".

The details of the case have been saved to my account, so I may be planning a short vacation to a city that has a Microsoft store to try my luck in person.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Find a minute fault of the device and passes it under it. You can talk about the how the wireless stop working correctly when you connect to a bluetooth device, or any other fault. No device is perfect, so you can make a list of issues and say how unacceptable things are, and push for a new device. You can try your luck with that.

Try the Microsoft store, as they don't have refurbished, they should give you a new unit. Bring with you all papers, the pen and charger in the case they need them to place the exchange (I don't know, I don't have a Microsoft store near me, to know)

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I received my warranty replacement SP2 yesterday afternoon, and I must say that I am incredibly disappointed.There are scratches, dings, and missing paint randomly around the casing. The area around the USB port looks like an animal was trying to climb out. The previous owner must have missed the USB port every single time he used it.

I called Surface support, and although he was incredibly nice, there was apparently nothing he could do to help. I sent him pictures of the damage, but because the unit is functional, he was 100% positive that the returns department would just ship back the same unit. His only advice was to "look past the scratches and enjoy the fantastic device".

The details of the case have been saved to my account, so I may be planning a short vacation to a city that has a Microsoft store to try my luck in person.
Wow, Microsoft is letting me down with the quality of customer service. I have heard several stories now of customers that receive devices like that. :( Disappointing!

On a somewhat related note to a charging problem... Mine charges but now it just gets stuck at 99%... Then it displays 99% available (plugged in, not charging).

GAH! So annoying.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow, Microsoft is letting me down with the quality of customer service. I have heard several stories now of customers that receive devices like that. :( Disappointing!

On a somewhat related note to a charging problem... Mine charges but now it just gets stuck at 99%... Then it displays 99% available (plugged in, not charging).

GAH! So annoying.
My SP2 may have been flawed from the beginning, and that December firmware update may have been its death knell. When I received it on launch day, it was reporting "plugged in, not charging" at 80% or so, but it eventually decided to finish charging. After the December firmware update, I constantly had to do the Volume Up + Power trick to get the indicator to report the correct percentage.

That final 1% probably isn't a huge deal, and it is probably just related to battery health. Does the percentage ever get stuck indefinitely, requiring the two-button reset trick?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My SP2 may have been flawed from the beginning, and that December firmware update may have been its death knell. When I received it on launch day, it was reporting "plugged in, not charging" at 80% or so, but it eventually decided to finish charging. After the December firmware update, I constantly had to do the Volume Up + Power trick to get the indicator to report the correct percentage.

That final 1% probably isn't a huge deal, and it is probably just related to battery health. Does the percentage ever get stuck indefinitely, requiring the two-button reset trick?

I've done the two button reset twice now. The first one for the first time I noticed it and then yesterday when it was the second time I noticed it. This time I let the battery die and then let it charge while the Surface was off. So far it is reporting Fully Charged (100%). We'll see what happens.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I made a discovery... (Or so I think).

If I let the thing go into hibernation while plugged in then when it wakes up it has the 99% stuck issue.

I disabled hibernation while plugged in (still enabled if unplugged) and so far it reaches 100% and stays at 100% the way it is supposed to.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That was a very short celebration.

Now getting stuck at 90% plugged in not charging... So getting worse. Not happy. :(

Restarted (no 2 button turn off, just a restart) and now it is showing 100% charged. I am not liking this whole thing one bit. Extremely unreliable battery display for such an expensive product.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Didn't take a whole lot of time for it to be stuck again (although this time is 99%). I pressed the battery button a bunch but still stuck.

Your utility reports the following:

jq6nlw.png

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Is that wear level common? I don't know what kind of algorithm you use but is it normal if I just got the tablet one month ago to be at 8%?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Is that wear level common? I don't know what kind of algorithm you use but is it normal if I just got the tablet one month ago to be at 8%?
Wear level is the difference in percentage between Full charges capacity and Designed capacity.
So in your case: (38991/42002 * 100) -100, and rounded.

Wear level is estimated. Full charged capacity varies every recharge, so it is normal to see the wear level fluctuate several percentage points. One day it may be 7%, and another 4%. But, it won't be (unless something is wrong), 3% and 70% the other day. It doesn't fluctuate like that. Just a few points up and down.

On my side I don't have your problem. My cycle count is at 48, I got it in early February, wear level right now is 5% (but at times I see is 7%). My device always recharge at 100% just fine. The first I got it, I think the wear level was at 4% (which is fine, because, like I said, you can't charge Lithium-ion batteries at a true 100% every time, it will fluctuate.
So honestly, I don't know what is wrong. If the wear level continuous to increase, I would be concerned (faulty battery or recharge circuit).
If you can return your Surface Pro 2, I would do this now, and take no chance. Else than expect a warranty replacement.

I do know it is NORMAL for the recharge level to reach 100% if it was like 90% or 95% or something, which is by designed. Because pushing lithium-ion battery to it's max, it considered dangerous. But if the battery is like 40-50% then for sure it should recharge at 100% just fine.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha how about this for wear level:

14ayh03.png

I am truly baffled by whatever is going on with my battery/circuitry/OS/whatever it is.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea this is normal. Someone got it at -1. But I fixed that by limited it.
This is all normal. You'll experience the same thing on any laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon