What's with the name?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

I'm a little confused by the name of this device! Shouldn't it be the Surface Pro 5? Wouldn't that be next in the Surface Pro line? Why abandon the numbering system now? Yea yea I get that this move is NOT unprecedented. Apple did it, Coke sorta did it with "New Coke" I'm just confused, as to why they did not stick to the numbering system.

What do you all think?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Folks,

I'm a little confused by the name of this device! Shouldn't it be the Surface Pro 5? Wouldn't that be next in the Surface Pro line? Why abandon the numbering system now? Yea yea I get that this move is NOT unprecedented. Apple did it, Coke sorta did it with "New Coke" I'm just confused, as to why they did not stick to the numbering system.

What do you all think?

It's simpler.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think its because of the global launch. They don't want Surface Pro 5 showing up in a country that hasn't even seen the earlier versions.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to say this is the last Surface Pro device before they introduce the Surface Mobile Device (whether it's a phone or whatever it is) so they figure to simplify the surface pro lineup for all countries before bringing out the game changer.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by meattray
I'm going to say this is the last Surface Pro device before they introduce the Surface Mobile Device (whether it's a phone or whatever it is) so they figure to simplify the surface pro lineup for all countries before bringing out the game changer.

Surface Hub
Surface Studio
Surface Laptop
Surface Pro
Surface Mobile
Family complete.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So wha happens when the next version is released in 18-24 months? How will you differentiate the two? Especially when buying - someone could cheat you of the 2019 version of the surface pro with the 2017 version

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So wha happens when the next version is released in 18-24 months? How will you differentiate the two? Especially when buying - someone could cheat you of the 2019 version of the surface pro with the 2017 version

Now Macs have been doing this for years, in the model number they have the year.

This would be Surface Pro 2017 (5th Generation),

In 2 years it would be Surface Pro 2019 (6th Generation)

Same thing with Lenovo, they have the X1 Carbon and then they put the generation number, mine is X1 Carbon 3rd Generation.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Now Macs have been doing this for years, in the model number they have the year.

This would be Surface Pro 2017 (5th Generation),

In 2 years it would be Surface Pro 2019 (6th Generation)

Same thing with Lenovo, they have the X1 Carbon and then they put the generation number, mine is X1 Carbon 3rd Generation.

That's not exactly how Apple does it. There isn't any (6th Generation) in Apple's nomenclature. People trying to sell used will go with that as a descriptor. With Apple, there are two things I've seen. In all cases, the actual model number of the machine is different for a different generation. Like A1237 is one MacBook Air, and A1304 is another. But also in the system information within the OS, it will give you another bit of information like Early 2008 or Late 2008 for those two models. But just to throw a monkey wrench in there, they also released a Mid 2009 version of the A1304 too. The only way you'd know the difference between those last two was in the OS. People selling would bring up the system information panel and take a picture of it. They had better do one of these or both, or the used market is going to get real bizarre. I guess if all else fails, you could go by processor type.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm actually glad they got rid of the numbers. in the future, I'd much rather own a surface pro (year) than a surface pro 5s+ or something like that. rolls off the tongue much better.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The no-numbering does look really clean, though. I feel that dropping the numbers is a good idea, because a) it's not a mobile phone and iterates much less frequently, b) this is not a numbers race, and c) having a device from the same family with a much larger number than other devices in the Surface family makes the other members look bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3