09-15-2017 04:05 PM
47 12
tools
    I am a photographer and using a SP3 8Go core i7 and this is great.
    I am using Capture One Pro 10. At home, it is docked and i have a 27" DELL calibrated screen.
    Otherwise, i am using it in tablet mode as it is very fast and indeed faster with the pen as with a mouse. You can pan and zoom with touch, move the sliders and maje the mask with pen.
    For me, there is no question that for photo editing (where you do not need crazy power), a touch 2-in-1 is vastly SUPERIOR to a Mac, without a doubt. Honestly, with the current line up, where you need to spend 500€ more on the MacPro with TB to have slightly more power and you still do not have touch and pen which are very beneficial for photo editing, i cannot image why someone would choose a Mac but the hardest Apple fanboy.

Also, knowing the current SP, even the core i5 is more than 50% faster than mine, i do not think there is any issue whatsoever.

Highly recommended for sure.
    07-10-2017 12:31 PM
    One thing that kept me from jumping to other OS is "Menu / Context Key" or shift-f10 (and various short-cut combinations).
    Try type "aple" and hit Space, how do you correct it?
    1. move you cursor from across the screen -> right click -> move cursor to the top of the list -> left click?
    or
    2. press Left -> press Menu Key -> (depends on os version you might need to hit Down) -> hit Enter?
    Except graphical softwares (adobe xxx, 3dsMax), I can operate Windows, dialog, chrome, edge, visual studio, office, etc without pointing devices.

Back to the topic, I'm no pro photographer, but I do use Photoshop and Illustrator. Giving some time to adapt... Surface Pen and Fingers do work well IMO.
    Last edited by Hirox K; 07-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    07-10-2017 02:10 PM
    Peta Pixel had a write up about this very subject, the photographer was using the Surface Pro on location and liked the experience:
    https://petapixel.com/2017/06/15/rev...photographers/
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-11-2017 06:17 AM
    I would like to buy the nSP soon but I'm very hesitant that I can adapt from being a longtime MacBook user.

Any photographers out there using Surface Pros to organise or edit their work?
    Yes. I'm just using a an SP3 256GB too and if I were to buy again, I'd go 512GB. It has become the main workstation. I cull images whenever and wherever I get a chance, I'll sit on the couch and do any color edits, then I may run batch script to resize/sharpen images to deliver to the client on the move. Having the pen makes image work so much easier and I've been a pro photographer for 17+yrs.
    jlabelle likes this.
    07-11-2017 06:54 PM
    I would like to buy the nSP soon but I'm very hesitant that I can adapt from being a longtime MacBook user.

Any photographers out there using Surface Pros to organise or edit their work?
    I can't think of a single reason (from a technical perspective) that the switch would be a problem. There is, literally, nothing I can think of in the MacBook lineup that makes it better suited to a pro shooter. I work with both systems and I don't like the direction apple had gone with their laptops. On the surface side, the touchscreen is great when shooting tethered. Windows 10 is good, too.
    jlabelle and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-11-2017 08:31 PM
    I can't think of a single reason (from a technical perspective) that the switch would be a problem. There is, literally, nothing I can think of in the MacBook lineup that makes it better suited to a pro shooter. I work with both systems and I don't like the direction apple had gone with their laptops. On the surface side, the touchscreen is great when shooting tethered. Windows 10 is good, too.
    I've heard of this concept of shooting photos while the camera is tethered with a pc - how does that work?
    07-13-2017 04:23 AM
    By the way, to all the photographers in this thread @Witness, @Narr, @jlabelle, @onlysublime, @etphoto, @GG002, @convergent, @Adam Desrosiers @dnmartin98

I have a need for a good software for making timelapse videos

I've tried searching but haven't find found the right one yet

I tried the following so far:

• MS Powerpoint - I know, this is a weird choice but in theory it should work though in practice the quality downgraes a lot after the first 5 seconds
    • Windows Live Movie Maker - this works but for low resolutions - trying with 720p brings errors
    • LR Timelapse - this never installed, even though I tried a couple of times
    • Davinci Resolve - this installed but I had to remove it since in itself it was using all the RAM I had in my surface 3 and therefore the sysem would just slow down
    • Videomach -this one actually works quite well - I've done 2-3 timelapse videos of 1080p. It technically can go higher than 1080p but the quality goes down as a consequence

So I'm looking for a free or nearly free timelapse video software - where I give it the photos and it converts them to a video without much loss or hiccups. Any ideas? I know, a lot would recommend adobe premier pro but I don't have the money for that at all and it's not available in my country

Thank you
    Last edited by Chintan Gohel; 07-13-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    07-13-2017 04:38 AM
    By the way, to all the photographers in this thread @Witness, @Narr, @jlabelle, @onlysublime, @etphoto, @GG002, @convergent, @Adam Desrosiers @dnmartin98

I have a need for a good software for making timelapse videos

I've tried searching but haven't find found the right one yet

I tried the following so far:

• MS Powerpoint - I know, this is a weird choice but in theory it should work though in practice the quality downgraes a lot after the first 5 seconds
    • Windows Live Movie Maker - this works but for low resolutions - trying with 720p brings errors
    • LR Timelapse - this never installed, even though I tried a couple of times
    • Davinci Resolve - this installed but I had to remove it since in itself it was using all the RAM I had in my surface 3 and therefore the sysem would just slow down
    • Videomach -this one actually works quite well - I've done 2-3 timelapse videos of 1080p. It technically can go higher than 1080p but the quality goes down as a consequence

So I'm looking for a free or nearly free timelapse video software - where I give it the photos and it converts them to a video without much loss or hiccups. Any ideas? I know, a lot would recommend adobe premier pro but I don't have the money for that at all and it's not available in my country

Thank you

I have done some really great time lapsed videos. I start with capturing the series of images with one of my Canon DSLRs and a Canon Timed Remote Control TC-80N3. Then I import them into QuickTime Pro 7 and export to the video format I'm looking for, usually mp4. To my knowledge only QuickTime Pro version 7 will do this, and it is very easy and gives excellent results. There are a lot of tutorials for how to do this if you google "time lapse quicktime pro 7".
    07-13-2017 02:24 PM
    QuickTime should be removed from all Windows machines. Apple ended support for QuickTime a long time ago and refused to patched the critical vulnerabilities that were present. These were zero-day exploits. The most severe kind of vulnerability.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...lnerabilities/

Adobe has removed QuickTime from Premiere Pro.

If you only need it for a specific project, you can do a free trial of GBTimeLapse:

Granite Bay Software GBTimelapse for time-lapse remote capture
    Witness likes this.
    07-13-2017 03:34 PM
    QuickTime should be removed from all Windows machines. Apple ended support for QuickTime a long time ago and refused to patched the critical vulnerabilities that were present. These were zero-day exploits. The most severe kind of vulnerability.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...lnerabilities/

Adobe has removed QuickTime from Premiere Pro.

If you only need it for a specific project, you can do a free trial of GBTimeLapse:

Granite Bay Software GBTimelapse for time-lapse remote capture
    From their website:
    GBTimelapse captures a sequence of images, but does not make a movie. To create a movie from the images, you need other software such as Quicktime® Pro, Premiere® Elements, Adobe® After Effects® or Adobe Premiere.
    So that's not what I'm looking for
    07-13-2017 10:58 PM
    Glad to have come across your post. I use Capture One Pro 10 on my iMac, and was wondering about how the Windows version would perform on my Surface Pro. I am glad to hear that it functions as well as your review and works that well with the pen.
    07-25-2017 04:57 PM
    Had to look this older thread up. I am shooting some of Western Southern Life ATP tournament this weekend & next week in Cincinnati and images need to be processed and uploaded while at the tournament. I actually thought of this tread because I was considering going out and getting a Surface Pro to do the job. However, after looking at the price, lol, I decided to try and do the image processing with my Surface 3. Thats right, a wimpy S3. I won't be using LR fearing the S3 won't have enough power.

Sent from mTalk
    08-09-2017 11:55 AM
    Had to look this older thread up. I am shooting some of Western Southern Life ATP tournament this weekend & next week in Cincinnati and images need to be processed and uploaded while at the tournament. I actually thought of this tread because I was considering going out and getting a Surface Pro to do the job. However, after looking at the price, lol, I decided to try and do the image processing with my Surface 3. Thats right, a wimpy S3. I won't be using LR fearing the S3 won't have enough power.

Sent from mTalk
    I've got the latest version of LR that comes with Creative Cloud. It actually installed and runs on an Atom Z3770 with 2Gb RAM on my Asus T100. It isn't a great experience, but runs better than photoshop. It can edit RAW images 24MP from a Nikon DSLR, but I edit them one at a time and there is occasional lag while moving sliders. LR for android on my phone is a much better experience.
    08-10-2017 03:45 AM
    I've got the latest version of LR that comes with Creative Cloud. It actually installed and runs on an Atom Z3770 with 2Gb RAM on my Asus T100. It isn't a great experience, but runs better than photoshop. It can edit RAW images 24MP from a Nikon DSLR, but I edit them one at a time and there is occasional lag while moving sliders. LR for android on my phone is a much better experience.
    I'm going to shoot Jpg for this job (depending on how even the light is) so I think I can get by without LR. We'll see. lol

Sent from mTalk
    08-10-2017 09:14 AM
    I'm going to shoot Jpg for this job (depending on how even the light is) so I think I can get by without LR. We'll see. lol

Sent from mTalk
    I use RawTherapee on my surface 3 and it works quite well. I can do batch edits and converting the final raw file to JPEG can take about 30-40s per photo
    raycpl likes this.
    08-11-2017 01:21 AM
    Well, my first day of shooting and using ACDSee and LR with the Surface 3 sucked big time. So, early Monday I was at the Microsoft store and picked up the Surface Pro i5 and did all my Monday editing using LR and yes, the i5 can handle LR like a champ. It did bog down a couple times when called on to do some heavy processing but only for a second or two. Like I mentioned already, if I could have afforded the i7 that would have been much nicer. Also the small screen was painful if you're use to doing all your editing on a big monitor but I did get by. I saw all kinds of photographers in the media room Sunday/Monday and no one except me was using a Surface. A couple guys came over and asked if I was using a Surface and spent a few minutes looking it over. I didn't get to see everyone's laptop but of the ones I did get a glimpse of everyone was using Windows and saw no Macs (which kind of surprised me). So, if you're on the fence about the Surface Pro and LR go ahead a pull the trigger, it'll work.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    ananve likes this.
    08-14-2017 11:34 PM
    Well, my first day of shooting and using ACDSee and LR with the Surface 3 sucked big time. So, early Monday I was at the Microsoft store and picked up the Surface Pro i5 and did all my Monday editing using LR and yes, the i5 can handle LR like a champ. It did bog down a couple times when called on to do some heavy processing but only for a second or two. Like I mentioned already, if I could have afforded the i7 that would have been much nicer. Also the small screen was painful if you're use to doing all your editing on a big monitor but I did get by. I saw all kinds of photographers in the media room Sunday/Monday and no one except me was using a Surface. A couple guys came over and asked if I was using a Surface and spent a few minutes looking it over. I didn't get to see everyone's laptop but of the ones I did get a glimpse of everyone was using Windows and saw no Macs (which kind of surprised me). So, if you're on the fence about the Surface Pro and LR go ahead a pull the trigger, it'll work.

This pretty much mirrors my experience using the nSP for Lightroom. I think it works quite well and the great thing is I can bring it with me when not in the office.
    ananve likes this.
    08-15-2017 11:18 AM
    I wish I could bring my DSLRs to sporting events. They're banned everywhere I've gone. My poor Canons. They do allow cameras with non-detachable lenses so that's why I have the Sony RX100-III. For a point and shoot, it's fantastic. And it can produce RAW images (though the RAW images are limited). I find the photographs overly processed on the Sony (heavy on the noise reduction; kind of like all smartphones). But the Sony is fantastic for video. A strong Sony trait.

And yes, Lightroom is painful on a regular Surface 3.

Editing JPEGs in Lightroom is really limited too. So much information is already gone from the photo to almost not make it worth editing.
    08-29-2017 03:53 AM
    I just did a whole shoot on the nSP and it went very well. I took about 1800 pictures over 2 days, shooting RAW on a 7D2, mostly with the 100-400 IS II. I first copied the SD card to a PNY 480GB portable elite SSD (this thing is tiny) via a USB3 SD card reader. I had both attached via a compact portable USB3 hub which I keep in my bag. After copying the images to the drive, I ingested them into Lightroom 5 which went very quickly. Then went through and rated them all, selecting a total of about 400 images to keep. Then went back through and cropped every image and made other needed corrections (pretty minimal for this shoot, which was outside flag football). Finally, used the plugin to output them to a gallery on Facebook. I used only the nSP with Type Cover and Surface Arc mouse for this one. I wanted to do it at my dining room table instead of going upstairs to dock it with my 27" 4K display, so that my wife could watch. Worked great with no lags to speak of. I even went to rating while the full size previews were still building and no lags there either going from image to image.

I love this thing.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    08-29-2017 02:28 PM
    Nothing to do with the new Surface Pro really, more W10 probably but, did a job last night and needed Wifi so I could periodically upload images to the customer's FB group. The venues internet connection was secure so an employee typed in the password for me. My Surface connected, no problem. As the night went on I checked my WP for any messages and noticed it was connected to someone's wifi. I checked and it was connected to the venue's secure connection. Wow, I didn't know it did that, type in pass on one device all my devices connect.

09-03-2017 09:06 AM
    Nothing to do with the new Surface Pro really, more W10 probably but, did a job last night and needed Wifi so I could periodically upload images to the customer's FB group. The venues internet connection was secure so an employee typed in the password for me. My Surface connected, no problem. As the night went on I checked my WP for any messages and noticed it was connected to someone's wifi. I checked and it was connected to the venue's secure connection. Wow, I didn't know it did that, type in pass on one device all my devices connect.

That was called wifi sense but I thought it was removed?
    09-04-2017 03:34 AM
    I thought the only part MS removed was the ability to share Wifi passwords with your contacts automatically.
    09-15-2017 04:05 PM
47 12