Some insights into Wacom > N-Trig change: Surface pro 3

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
No surprise regarding Wacom's paranoia over competition. The Cintiq Companion's price is absurd for what is largely an inferior product all-round with the exception of the Wacom bits.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If it means drawing where the tip of the pen is, then I'm going to love it. While I like Wacom, the pen accuracy on the sp1 and 2 weren't great. And sure an artist can get use to looking for the on screen cursor, but it's still annoying especially on the edges, always having to adjust the view. even on the sp2 the edges are just awful. I'm sold on N-Trig.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I really wish MS wouldn't have even mentioned that the screen tech was changed, because I would seriously doubt anybody would have noticed the pressure sensitivity change. On the other hand i'm glad, because I draw and paint a lot on my SP2 and this is actually a reason for me to switch. I'm sick of the cursor going all loopy on me near the edges of the screen. I'm really excited about this N-Trig stuff!

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Some insights into Wacom > N-Trig change: Surface pro 3 | Coffeehouse | Forums | Channel 9
Click the link to get more insight, listed below is just the summary. Sorry if this is posted already.

1. It helps to make the tablet thinner.

2. Wacom DID NOT want bigger Surface to have Wacom in it.

3. Hardware wise, N-Trig has caught up with Wacom:

What's funny is that since Wacom refused to put their tech in a 12 in tablet, everyone that buys an SP3 is going to realize how much N-Trig has caught up to Wacom. I feel like this is going to blow up in their face.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that since Wacom refused to put their tech in a 12 in tablet, everyone that buys an SP3 is going to realize how much N-Trig has caught up to Wacom. I feel like this is going to blow up in their face.
I have no horse in the Wacom/N-Trig race, but I sure hope you're right. Why? It means the Surface is higher quality, which is a really good thing.

andrantos

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have no horse in the Wacom/N-Trig race, but I sure hope you're right. Why? It means the Surface is higher quality, which is a really good thing.

I'm keeping an open mind on this one, especially having used a N-Triq gateway convertible back in 07/08 and having a relatively pleasant experience with it (though I hated the lack of pressure sensitivity in certain apps). Artists can be pretty stubborn when it comes to their tools of choice and Wacom has owned this market for a while now - so I get much of the backlash as I even had a WTF Microsfot?! moment when I heard the news.

Forcing myself to re-collect my previous experience with N-Triq, hearing the positive reviews on inking improvements and various other news bits have settled my fears and reservations. It all could be for not, but I do think Microsoft is very proud of this device, and in that sense, would think they would want to do right by it. The Microsoft we're seeing this week is very different than even the one we saw back when they revealed the Xbox 1.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If the things like the nib touching the point where drawing occurs onscreen and edge accuracy are fixed, and N-trig doesn't have any other issues of its own, I can see how this could make sense for most users who use it for notes, not painting. I hate having to avoid the edges of the screen and the misaligned cursor and nib that you get in the SP2. I'll be interested in hearing artists' opinion once they've tried it, since the decreased pressure sensitivity seems like an issue for them.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Artists review using SP3 with the N-Trig.
Penny Arcade - Surface Pro 3

So it looks fine. Although I question this guy's ability to use comptuers when I see this "They have also removed the “high performance” power option from the Surface Pro 3. It used to be that you could essentially tell the Surface “****my battery I want you to kick ***” and that’s no longer an option. Apparently this has something to do with the new quick wakeup abilities. " I really doubt that option is really gone. I know on 8.1, it can be more hidden but you can still change your power settings.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So it looks fine. Although I question this guy's ability to use comptuers when I see this "They have also removed the ?high performance? power option from the Surface Pro 3. It used to be that you could essentially tell the Surface ?****my battery I want you to kick ***? and that?s no longer an option. Apparently this has something to do with the new quick wakeup abilities. " I really doubt that option is really gone. I know on 8.1, it can be more hidden but you can still change your power settings.
1. You shouldn't have to be great with computers to get it to work well
2. He's a pretty sharp guy. And his buddy is pretty competent with tech

You haven't heard of Penny Arcade?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
1. You shouldn't have to be great with computers to get it to work well
2. He's a pretty sharp guy. And his buddy is pretty competent with tech
Well, he could have fooled me with his inability to change the power saving settings. It's standard in 8.1, I really really doubt MS changed it just for the Surface Pro 3.

You haven't heard of Penny Arcade?

No. I have not heard of it.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So you're assuming negative things about him when you haven't used the device?

It's kind of a big deal.

I've used windows which is what it runs. His point about power settings is wrong. I mean, I guess if you're lazy and don't go to the main control panel or search for it, you won't find it. The advanced settings for power are not located in the modern side of the settings. But most people with above average knowledge of windows 8 should know that. I also really question the so called performance issues he's having. I use Photoshop and other advanced apps on my surface pro 2 and before that my surface pro with no problems. This guy is claiming problems on a machine that's even faster.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the post. I could see how that Start button could be an issue. I honestly wish the put the button on the side of Surface like on the opposite end of the volume rocker.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the post. I could see how that Start button could be an issue. I honestly wish the put the button on the side of Surface like on the opposite end of the volume rocker.
Yeah but if you have screen rotation on, you can just flip the tablet around and BAM the start button is on the left side. Easy fix. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes