Some insights into Wacom > N-Trig change: Surface pro 3

bluedot

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I actually tried surface2 and 3 side by side today and on the 3 you have to press the stylus much harder In order to get the full value of stroke, not sure thi can be adjusted. On the 2 the stylus was very responsive.

This has been my experience as well; however it looks like Microsoft is currently working on a solution for the issue (as per the updated Penny Arcade article). The fact Microsoft is working so hard to address usability concerns from the artist community has earned tons of respect from me. I'm willing to wait the updates out, before deciding what tablet I'll end-up buying.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This has been my experience as well; however it looks like Microsoft is currently working on a solution for the issue (as per the updated (REDACTED)). The fact Microsoft is working so hard to address usability concerns from the artist community has earned tons of respect from me. I'm willing to wait the updates out, before deciding what tablet I'll end-up buying.

Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley mentioned the Penny Arcade article on Windows Weekly yesterday, too. So yes, it has gotten the attention of the broader internet community, and it is indeed good to see that Microsoft is listening. Just think - if it were Apple, you'd be holding it wrong.

EDIT: Can you believe I had to take out the link to the above-mentioned website because the mention of money caused my post to be flagged as spam??

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
But yet the fact is, its easy to change the power management thing. And stop telling me how cool This guy is. I Don't care!
Good god your ability to defend your ignorance astounds me.
The fact that you never admitted you were wrong kills me, despite several people proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I read that review again. I am not changing my opinion of this guy. He's publicly saying they did not get things correct in the surface pro 3, when in reality most of the issues he has can be addressed in firmware updates. He also doesn't appear to be tech savvy at all. He blames the graphics performance on the CPU and not the GPU. He also talks like the command line like it's from some alien planet. And to be fair, programs like Photoshop are sometimes clunky on a fast i7 desktop PC with powerful graphics cards running it. I use Photoshop everyday, my desktop has an i7 with 16 gigs of ram and two Nivida Quadro cards. I still see some of those issues on that thing. He could have at least mentioned that Adobe has been working with Microsoft to create a touch version of Photoshop, but he did not. And maybe that version of Photoshop runs smoother on the SP3, but he didn't even bring it up. Overall I just don't think he was being fair in his review. He could have at least informed people that with updates the SP3 could be fixed. Instead he leaves an article that pretty much says don't buy this machine unless you like frustration.

I'm pretty sure no surface has ever had a dedicated GPU and that all graphics have been handled by the the CPU. Intel integrated graphics are far from the best but do a good basic job. It's not surprising there's stuttering.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried it at the local MS store today.

I will say that the accuracy of the N-trig pen was pretty good, especially in the corners where the Wacom on my current Surface Pro starts to act all crazy.

I was disappointed in the pressure curve of the N-trig. It seemed like it didn't detect light pressure. The pressure sensitivity started after a moderate amount of pressure and didn't get to full strength until I put a significant amount of pressure. I imagine that this would wear out the pen nib sooner... and even though the SP3 is sturdy, I kept thinking that I was going to leave marks on the glass or something. When you reach max pressure it appears that it shows a glowing circle around the point of contact... which makes it look like an lcd screen that you're just pressing too hard... well... unless it really was just me pressing too hard and pushing on the screen.

I wonder when they'll be including the ability to manually set your own pressure curves. I know that MS mentioned that they'd be offering that.

...as a side note, I just did a quick 15 second sketch on it and the rep said it was the best thing he's seen anyone draw on a Surface. lol

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
They've already said they will be addressing the pressure issue with an update.

Yes. That's why I said...

I wonder when they'll be including the ability to manually set your own pressure curves. I know that MS mentioned that they'd be offering that.

I was just wondering when it would happen. Have you heard of an expected timeline? I'd love to test it out again when I can adjust my own pressure curve.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Have they ever offered pressure curve settings in the past?

I was hoping the update /fix would be issued by the end of this week.

Testing in the store, I set the pen thickness up just so I could properly try it out.

msconfuse

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm too busy, I just skimmed and read the main points. And I doubt he's talking directly to MS Reps. If he is and they couldn't guide him to the power settings, then they should be fired. If MS plopped a SP3 in front of me right now, I guarantee you I could change the power settings within 15 seconds.

You can load any profile you want or get back the default desktop profiles if you edit the connected standby registry key.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Once it's edited, reboot and all the profiles that are normally on the desktop will be available to you on the tablet. But then you disable connected stand

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Have they ever offered pressure curve settings in the past?

I was hoping the update /fix would be issued by the end of this week.

Testing in the store, I set the pen thickness up just so I could properly try it out.

I haven't needed custom pressure curve in the previous Surface, so I haven't checked. I don't think there is a custom setting though.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You can load any profile you want or get back the default desktop profiles if you edit the connected standby registry key.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Once it's edited, reboot and all the profiles that are normally on the desktop will be available to you on the tablet. But then you disable connected stand

Ah... so Gabe was not some computer illiterate then? :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard