I received my Surface Pro 3. Ask me anything!

wundram

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been using it with sketchbook pro. You have to press pretty hard on the pen to get a dark pencil line. It really needs that utility to edit the pressure curve of the pen. Also the multitouch is working differently than it did on my surface pro 1. I haven't tried the wintab drivers.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
are there any sound on the hinge when you move the kickstand?

Whenever the kickstand is first pulled from its flat magnet position, it makes a slight click; however, adjusting the position after the kickstand is out makes no noticeable noise, other than a slight friction based sound if you hold your ear right up beside it. In normal sitting distance, it cannot be heard at all.

zcadqe13

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Whenever the kickstand is first pulled from its flat magnet position, it makes a slight click; however, adjusting the position after the kickstand is out makes no noticeable noise, other than a slight friction based sound if you hold your ear right up beside it. In normal sitting distance, it cannot be heard at all.

thanks!

wundram

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I also tried with the wintab driver installed. I got the opposite. The pen was stuck at max pressure. It did make the multi-touch work like it did on the pro 1 however. Anyway, I had to remove the wintab drivers, as they made sketchbook unusable.

I'm going to give clip studio a try and see how it works.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. The reason I ask is that it's only a dual-core mobile version of the Core series. I'm curious if it has enough horse-power to run a VM or two simultaneously. With 8GB of RAM, I could probably run a server and client in a VM for testing at the same time (server, 4GB, client, 2GB, leaving 2GB for the Surface). I'm just concerned the dual-core will struggle running everything.

I have used VMware quite a bit on my SP2 (same cpu) to run Oracle and MSSQL clustered VMs. It runs quite well for what I do, but I'm usually not throwing a big workload at the VMs. I'm mostly doing admin, config, and failover testing stuff.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It should considering that it is a full Windows 8 OS. I just installed VMware Workstation, not exactly the same product that you have but will report back later. I am going to migrate a couple of VMs from a MacBook Pro Fusion.

Just fired up two VMs (2GB RAM allocated each). Everything seems to be running fine. Then again, I wasn't doing anything intensive other than having it running.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Which model do you have? Those seem pretty good scores.

I have the i5 128GB model with 4GB of RAM. It seems to be very fast with no slowdowns, and haven't had problems with anything except the digitizer (messed up, am going to call MS Support on Monday to replace it). The graphics obviously aren't great; however, they seem to be pretty smooth for medium 3d games as long as they are optimized for it.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

sp5678K

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Reading in portrait works very well, with minimal wasted screen space.

View attachment 69827

Landscape reading works very well also when viewing two pages at a time. Text is very readable and not too small, and both pages take up nearly the whole screen.

View attachment 69828

Thanks Chadthebuilder !!
I was looking at a Galaxy Note 12.2 for PDFs but SP3 is looking like the one for the job

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I tried to look at one at Best Buy and they didn't have one on display. In your opinion, would the pen work for taking notes in class? I'm thinking of getting one for my son in college.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I tried to look at one at Best Buy and they didn't have one on display. In your opinion, would the pen work for taking notes in class? I'm thinking of getting one for my son in college.

I definitely think so. That is one thing that Microsoft is really marketing it for. One thing that isn't as nice as paper, is that it is hard to write on small print. The pen is almost like writing in one of those thicker pens. I really enjoy taking notes with mine, but my sister tried it and didn't really like it very well, because she said it was more clumsy than paper notes That said, I would definitely advise you to have your son try it out on a demo unit if you can find one somewhere. I would hate for you to spend 1k+ on something that he didn't like to use very much.

Posted via Surface

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone confirmed whether or not the right mouse click button on the pen will forward a power point slide or any other "advance" feature in other programs?

Wondering if I will still need an external USB pointer.

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone confirmed whether or not the right mouse click button on the pen will forward a power point slide or any other "advance" feature in other programs?

Wondering if I will still need an external USB pointer.

Unless there is a third party solution (or a setting hidden somewhere) then no. It doesn't advance anything while in a PowerPoint presentation.

Posted via Surface

wbrashers

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
About the pen not working... I had the same problem and found my answer. Inside the battery compartment is a little spring that presses the battery and completes the circuit. IT CAN FALL OUT. Shake your pen... if it rattles, you've lost your spring (the cap button operates on a second, different battery). To fix, just wad up a small piece of aluminum foil and cram it in to substitute for the spring. Worked perfectly for me. I tried a segment of paperclip but the pen got HOT. Watch for this. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon