Is the MS Office suite not free anymore like it was on the RT model?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My trial version of Outlook 2013 keeps crashing, so I just ended installing an old copy of Office 2010. Works well!

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30

Yea, I have been thinking about moving back to 2010 from 2013, Lots of bugs...Even connected to an exchange server on a domain, Outlook 2013 will keep asking for a password after waking up from sleep....really annoying, something that did not happen in Outlook 2010.

Office has NEVER come with the Surface Pro, even with 1....Only the RT models came with it...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Surface RT included Office 2013 RT, a touch-friendly suite that runs on RT machines only. The functionality is similar to the web-based Office Online, but Office Online also gives you OneDrive sync, which Office 2013 RT does not.

Hardly all that touch-friendly. Just offering an option to space out the ribbon elements a bit does not make it truly touch-friendly, which is why we're still waiting for Metro/Modern Office to debut. I would say though that functionality-wise Office RT offers much more than the web app.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hardly all that touch-friendly. Just offering an option to space out the ribbon elements a bit does not make it truly touch-friendly, which is why we're still waiting for Metro/Modern Office to debut. I would say though that functionality-wise Office RT offers much more than the web app.

Office RT is similar to Office Online in that it lacks the macro/VBA, add-ins, forms, and other functionality that Office desktop offers.

I, for one, am not looking forward to a touch friendly Office suite. In every app I've seen, touch friendly is a euphemism for truncated features. I need all the tools I have in Office desktop and the precision of mouse placement (although, if I had a Surface 3 and could use the stylus, that might work).

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Office RT is similar to Office Online in that it lacks the macro/VBA, add-ins, forms, and other functionality that Office desktop offers.
Yes, but I once saw a page that compared desktop Office to the web version, and the latter lacked lots of features that Office RT had in common with Office desktop. I don't remember the URL but things like the ability to define/modify text styles and so on were listed, which if I'm not mistaken Office RT has but Office Online doesn't.

I, for one, am not looking forward to a touch friendly Office suite. In every app I've seen, touch friendly is a euphemism for truncated features.
Oh definitely the touch-friendly version will be cut down, just like Office for iPad is. All I hope for is that it doesn't replace the existing desktop version on both Windows and Windows RT and can be installed alongside it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess they might think of those devices quite similarly to RT devices, even if they still run full Windows? But at the same time many of those atom devices are like 8" devices, but then again there are also thsoe that come close to a laptop..

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe the only windows that can run on atom is RT, so office would be free on those devices if it is running RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so Office 2013 comes for free with every 10" Windows 8 tablet powered by an Atom processor? Wonder why Microsoft made this offer - to help Intel sell more Atom CPUs?
More to be competitive. This market competes with the iPad and it includes free office productivity apps.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the camp that likes the Office 365 Home Premium. As was said in other posts, it was made even sweeter last month I think it was, when they added a terabyte of OneDrive for each user, at no extra cost. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but when I get the time, the contents of my server at home will be replicated to my OneDrive account. I've got around a half a TB of photos from the past ten years, in addition to a couple hundred GB of music.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
If you purchase a 10 inch PC that uses Atom chips, and Office also comes for free.

Toshiba includes a 1-year subscription to Office 365 while HP throws in Office Home & Student but at a price that covers the cost of the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote only product. While most users don't need Outlook, Publisher, Access, etc., it's important to understand the differences before you click the order button.

Are there brands that include Office 2013 perpetual license? If so, I can't find them.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be just a little brutal (i.e. honest with my opinion), but if you've paid a premium to own a Surface Pro 3 (there's plenty of other cheaper laptops out there with touch screens), then you can most probably afford an Office 365 subscription. Yes, it locks you into effectively renting software, but there's a lot of sense in using that ownership model if you think about the cost of buying the software and the added cost of upgrading to the next version when that comes out. As mentioned before, you get a huge amount of online storage, and the ability for your copy of MS Office to follow you around (you can stream the software from the internet on any machine that doesn't already have Office installed - with a decent internet connection, you can be editing documents in Word in under 5 minutes).

You can have this for about the same cost as a cup of coffee a week, and there's a wide range of plans so you can get something that suits you, or you and the family.

Cloud based solutions like this are just plain freaking awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2