04-14-2017 04:43 PM
30 12
tools
    Interesting that you use the SP4 in tablet mode so much of the time. I'm finding the lightweight so refreshing and the keyboard convenient when i'm doing even a small amount of typing. So far I still reach for my ipad/iphone as media consumption devices which is when I assume I'd use the SP4 in tablet mode.
    11-02-2015 12:00 AM
    My friend who is also a Designer just checked both SB and SP4. Surface Book is an awesome device but for us its more of a laptop. We could use it like a clipboard which is awesome but we cant use it like that always because its a laptop first. I still find it weird when the display wobbles when i touch it. I checked the Surfaces Pro 4 and i really don't have even a bit of problem. Only thing which made me think was the display size which is not a big deal, if i had not seen the SB screen size then i would definitely think SP4 display is perfect for me. My friend ended up buying the SP4 and its awesome.
    11-04-2015 01:32 PM
    what about the pen wobble? Every demo I've seen of the SP4 displays jagged straight lines. Very disconcerting...
    01-31-2017 03:49 PM
    If your an artist like me and your having difficulty deciding between the SB and the Surface Pro 4, my recommendation is this.

The Surface Pro 4 for is tailored towards artists and graphic designers.

I say purchase the SP4 for its portability and 2D capabilites.

And purchase a quad capable PC later on for rendering.

The SB is a nice labtop, but its not really made for artists.

Besides, if you try 3D rendering on a tablet or a labtop your going to run into a wall, anyways.

Don't expect well polished rendering like you'd get out of a Rendering Farm from a portable device.
    04-14-2017 01:21 PM
    as a hobby artist, drawing on a laptop screen sucks. it really does. the wobble. the angle it's being held. it's why touchscreen laptops are only okay. the minute you poke the screen, the screen wobbles.

so if you want to use the Surface Books dGPU, you have to have it docked as a laptop. the kickstand is great for an artist. and it helps a touchscreen immensely. I can be tapping at the Surface Pro 4 screen and it remains rock steady. I can draw on the SP4 screen without the screen pushing backwards.

and you're completely wrong on the Intel CPU. All Surface Book machines also come with dual core i5 and i7, same as Surface Pro 4. It's the biggest hindrance against the MacBook Pro series which do have quad core options.

it ultimately comes down to form factor. If you mainly want a laptop that can occasionally be portable, you go with Surface Book. If you want a machine that incredibly flexible and are okay with sacrificing the laptop form, then Surface Pro 4 is an easy recommendation.

If Surface Book had much better specs than Surface Pro 4, you could make the argument. But currently, the only difference is comparing dGPU versus Intel Iris (only available with Core i7). So if you don't even option for the dGPU, the difference then is completely form factor.

as for rendering, you can't replace a desktop PC. And you don't want to waste a portable machine on rendering. I use my SP4 for designing my projects. If you look at my previous posts, I'm an avid Premiere Pro/After Effects user. A heavy Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator user. But I would not render any of my video projects on a portable machine when a desktop can do it so much better. Because while you're rendering on that portable machine, you pretty much can't do anything else. So I push all my assets to the desktop, render for the hours it needs and keep using my portable in the meantime.
    04-14-2017 04:43 PM
30 12