Problem with touch keyboard and firefox/chrome

mattwilson87

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, just wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with firefox and the touch keyboard on their SP4. I saw quite a few people on here were using alternative browsers to Edge due to battery drain/fan issues so I tried using firefox instead. Unfortunately, when you touch in a text entry box the touch keyboard does not automatically pop up. Similarly, if you touch with the pen the handwriting recognition bar does not pop up automatically. Tried chrome as well - the touch keyboard does pop up in this browser but the handwriting recognition bar does not.

Obviously both these features work in Edge and also IE but I'm quite keen to use FF instead. Anyone else noticed this, and does anyone have a fix? Thanks

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I'm actually using Chrome Canary and the keyboard does not pop up at all. Have to manually invoke it...

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Not just with Firefox, even with Microsoft's own OneNote as well. Who bothers testing software nowadays when they have us to do it for free.

Edit: With latest Chrome in desktop mode, keyboard pops up automatically, but won't close by itself.

Last edited:

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Not just with Firefox, even with Microsoft's own OneNote as well. Who bothers testing software nowadays when they have us to do it for free.

Edit: With latest Chrome in desktop mode, keyboard pops up automatically, but won't close by itself.
Hmm still doesn't work for me. Is there a desktop mode anymore? I thought that differentiation was abolished with Windows 10.

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
eran says
By desktop mode, I meant the mode you get when you disable tablet mode. If you click on the action center icon near the clock, there will be a tablet mode button. Once it is disabled, a keyboard icon will show up next to the action center icon.

boltman2016
Which version of Firefox are you using? Mine is Firefox 42.0 and OneNote 2016.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
eran says
By desktop mode, I meant the mode you get when you disable tablet mode. If you click on the action center icon near the clock, there will be a tablet mode button. Once it is disabled, a keyboard icon will show up next to the action center icon.

boltman2016
Which version of Firefox are you using? Mine is Firefox 42.0 and OneNote 2016.
Ahh I see. I never enable tablet mode ui on my surface, I feel like it's kind of pointless since I have enabled the full screen start menu and the "use smaller icons on the taskbar" feature.

I'm using Chrome not Firefox. Keyboard doesn't pop up when selecting a text box with the finger or pen. It's really annoying to me that chrome doesn't support active digitizer.

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I double checked just now. The keyboard works fine with Chrome. It appears and disappears automatically. Are you using latest Chrome?

Also, looks like Firefox 43 which is going to be released in December has fix for this issue. See here - bugzilla mozilla org/show_bug.cgi?id=1007063".

unni_kmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I got a temporary solution based on the Firefox bug report for this issue. In Firefox address bar, type about:config. Search for ui.os.

One of the following or a combination of it now brings up the keyboard.

• ui.osk.detect_physical_keyboard;false
    ui.osk.enabled;true
    ui.osk.on_screen_keyboard_path;"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe"
    ui.osk.require_tablet_mode;false

I am using Chrome 46.0.2490.86 m. It doesn't have the problem with touch. But chrome doesn't work with pen. In Firefox both touch and pen works. If I touch with pen, it brings up the handwriting keyboard, which is nice. I did face some issue in typing this here though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon